Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoom25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
This is what I'm referring to: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mchl779716b8/mac

I can still zoom in with ctrl + scroll like before. However, when the screen is zoomed in, I cannot drag the cursor to the edge of any of its borders to force the screen to move in that direction like it usually does. Now it's just stuck. The cursor cannot move the zoomed in screen in any direction.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 7.57.43 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 7.57.53 PM.png

zoom25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
I have it set to "When Pointer Reaches Edge" by default.

I've had multiple iMacs and MacBook Airs and Pros over the last 15 years starting from Snow Leopard. I've never needed to specify anything in the "Advanced" category on any OS/hardware. The default setting has worked perfectly.

Something is broken right now. The zoomed in image DOES NOT move when pointer reaches edge.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Mine does. So something is messed up on your machine. Have you rebooted? If that doesn’t fix it, try a different user account (or guest) to try to isolate the problem.

zoom25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Mine does. So something is messed up on your machine. Have you rebooted? If that doesn’t fix it, try a different user account (or guest) to try to isolate the problem.
Yes, I rebooted it again after the update had performed and thought maybe it was one of those weird instances. I've had this happen a few times over the years and a restart would handle it.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I would try cycling all of the settings for zoom control to try to shock it to work.

zoom25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Okay. I tried another restart and it still doesn't work on my Intel 2018 MacBook Pro 15 inch

However, M1 MacBook Air 13" with 14.4 is working fine. So it's impacted only this machine. Not across the board it seems.

zoom25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
I would try cycling all of the settings for zoom control to try to shock it to work.
I tried the other two options in the advanced tab and they both behave identically and weird. I'm pretty sure they are also not behaving as they should be behaving. With either of those options, I can zoom in with the Ctrl + scroll option, but as soon as I move the pointer, it kicks me back out to a fully zoomed out screen.

zoom25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
OKAY, so something worked. In both our. advanced default settings, we have "zoom each display independently" turned ON.

When I turn this off, I can get it towork correctly and the zoomed in image does move around when it hits the edge. This also makes the other two options work correctly as intended.

So it might be a temporary 'fix'. Luckily, I'm not paired with an external display.

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.