Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
When I quit an app that is not on the current home screen I see an iOS animation, in which the icons come to the center from different directions.

While it might look nice, the problem is that the animation lasts an unnecessary amount of seconds, so I can't scroll down to see Spotlight as soon as I press the home button. As a matter of fact, I have to wait like 2 seconds to be able to use the Search bar.

Is there a way of disabling this particular animation? It's a damn nightmare not being able to search something on my phone right away!

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
When I quit an app that is not on the current home screen I see an iOS animation, in which the icons come to the center from different directions.

While it might look nice, the problem is that the animation lasts an unnecessary amount of seconds, so I can't scroll down to see Spotlight as soon as I press the home button. As a matter of fact, I have to wait like 2 seconds to be able to use the Search bar.

Is there a way of disabling this particular animation? It's a damn nightmare not being able to search something on my phone right away!

You cannot disable it. It now only lasts a fraction of a second in 7.1 anyway.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
You can't fix it sadly. It's one of the things I hate most about iOS 7, although rumor has it apple is speeding them up in 7.1. I just hope it comes out soon.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
It's a shame that it can't be fixed on iOS 7, but if the animation lasts a fraction of a second in 7.1... Then I'm satisfied. Hope it comes out soon.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
You cannot disable it. It now only lasts a fraction of a second in 7.1 anyway.

Not true. It's more like its a fraction of a second faster. It used to be about 2 seconds before you can swip , now it's about 1.5 seconds. It's still annoying. I used an old iPod touch and crazy to feel how fast it felt when unlocking. Not sure why apple continues to throw that stupid animation in our faces. We get it it looks pretty. Next.

----------

You can't fix it sadly. It's one of the things I hate most about iOS 7, although rumor has it apple is speeding them up in 7.1. I just hope it comes out soon.

They sped it up by a half a second. 1.5 now rather than 2. Still annoying as hell.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Not true. It's more like its a fraction of a second faster. It used to be about 2 seconds before you can swip , now it's about 1.5 seconds. It's still annoying. I used an old iPod touch and crazy to feel how fast it felt when unlocking. Not sure why apple continues to throw that stupid animation in our faces. We get it it looks pretty. Next.

----------

They sped it up by a half a second. 1.5 now rather than 2. Still annoying as hell.

It is true. I just did it, less than half a second.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
I just disabled it from the Accessibility menu. Though it removes the parallax effect as well (I liked it), I prefer not waiting 2 seconds to use the search bar. :D

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I just disabled it from the Accessibility menu. Though it removes the parallax effect as well (I liked it), I prefer not waiting 2 seconds to use the search bar. :D

yeah, i noticed that too. It removes the effect, but you still have to wait.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York

I have not used iOS 7.1 but it is suppose to be much faster so when that comes out turn reduce motion back to off and maybe the wait wont bother you any more.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Animations are still awful in 7.1. Don't get your hopes up.

They need to be sped up dramatically. If you don't think so, compare it to iOS 6. Everything from unlock speed to application fly in / fly out has slowed down dramatically from iOS 6, and for no good reason...other than Apple likes it that way.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Current app to home screen animation

Animations are still awful in 7.1. Don't get your hopes up.

They need to be sped up dramatically. If you don't think so, compare it to iOS 6. Everything from unlock speed to application fly in / fly out has slowed down dramatically from iOS 6, and for no good reason...other than Apple likes it that way.

You're talking rubbish. Speeds are now much faster on iOS 7.1 beta 5. Going from app to home screen is under half a second. From lock screen to home screen is about half a second. Definitely much faster than 7.0. Easily on par with iOS 6.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
You're talking rubbish. Speeds are now much faster on iOS 7.1 beta 5. Going from app to home screen is under half a second. From lock screen to home screen is about half a second. Definitely much faster than 7.0. Easily on par with iOS 6.

Sorry its not rubbish and no it is not anywhere near on par with iOS 6. Either test it or don't comment.

Had you jailbroken your phone on iOS 7.0.4 and unlocked Apple's Hidden Settings manager, you could see exactly how they've configured the animation to behave...and also how a slight tweak to it can speed it up dramatically with no negative side effect whatsoever.

Having seen this myself, it bothers me to know that this is the speed Apple is ok with.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Do you have two of the same device running iOS 7.1 & iOS 6 next to each for reference? Then no you haven't tested anything.

Well I know that from an app to home screen is less than half a second. Unlock to home screen is approx half a second. That's on my 5S.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Well I know that from an app to home screen is less than half a second. Unlock to home screen is approx half a second. That's on my 5S.

Yeah the animation finishes long before I can say "one mississippi" on 7.1 beta 5. The speed is fine. Just blink your eyes once in awhile and you won't even notice.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013

The problem isn't so much the speed of the animation, it's the amount of time until the touch responds afterwards. That's the part that apparently hasn't improved much.

That's why enabling Reduce Motion, which has a much faster transition, doesn't help with the amount of time until you can tap or swipe. If anything, it makes it worse, because everything looks settled and ready to go, so you end up with missed taps and swipes all the time.

I've never had it happen prior to iOS 7 where the keyboard would be up, and I could tap 1-5 letters before it starts responding to them. So I have to backspace and start over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.