Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falkirk81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Newcastle, UK
So, I have an iPhone 12 on the latest dev beta and have never tried the watchOS betas before this last round of betas.

What a disaster, and I know it's on me for trying on my daily watch and phone, but I figured being a week or so from final release, that there would be no major issues remaining.

So I had a change of mobile service provider once I was on iOS 17 last week, and there was an issue with the move of my number as it wouldn't activate iMessage or FaceTime once the number was moved. Apple and my provider kept blaming each other, but ultimately, after several hours and calls with Apple UK tech support, they said they would not be able to help me while on iOS 17 betas. I knew the issue wasn't iOS 17 related, but I decided to relent and revert back to my last iOS 16.6 beta.

Anyhow, I have now resolved the issue with iMessage and FaceTime activating by restoring to iOS 16 then straight to iOS 17 beta without restoring a backup, what a pain that is!

All this too-ing and fro-ing has resulted in many reinstalls of iOS and watchOS now seems to be showing a new bug, not seen on watchOS 9.6.1. When I have the modular face enabled and the complication in the middle of the screen set to 'conditions' to show the current weather based on my current location, it loads then sits on 'loading weather' after a few minutes.

I have tried everything to resolve this, but it won't work. But I finally figured out where the issue is coming from. If I specify a location for the weather to display, it works fine, it only breaks when it is set not to a specific city, but to my current location. For me, this issue is 100% reproducible.

I submitted a feedback report to apple last night, but this morning they have closed it down, FB13110063 refers.

They closed it down saying there were more than 10 people reporting the same issue, but 'unable to diagnose with current information'.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, or is able to replicate?

iPhone 12 with iOS 17.0 , Apple Watch 6 with watchOS 10, all current betas as of today.

Reactions: nortonandreev

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
My developer point of view:
WatchOS 10 current beta has big problems with Localization authorizations. Sometimes it says it's authorized but its isn't, sometimes nothing is shown and the authorization popup never appears.
I have managed to fix the weather location issue on iPhone by allowing another app to get access to localization services.
It has magically fix the "current location weather" ...

falkirk81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Newcastle, UK
My developer point of view:
WatchOS 10 current beta has big problems with Localization authorizations. Sometimes it says it's authorized but its isn't, sometimes nothing is shown and the authorization popup never appears.
I have managed to fix the weather location issue on iPhone by allowing another app to get access to localization services.
It has magically fix the "current location weather" ...
I sent my watch 6th series back to apple here in the uk to get reverted back to watchOS 9.6.1, so it is now working again as expected. However, this does limit me to not upgrading to watchOS 10 for the foreseeable future.

what steps did you do to get it working?

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
You can try to reset all of your location settings to the factory default on your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [device], tap Reset, then tap Reset Location & Privacy.
When your location and privacy settings are reset, apps will stop using your location until you grant them permission.

Vangeli

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
Same issue here on public release. Watch was sluggish and kept reloading complications very slowly, unpaired and set up again and now weather app doesn’t work without a manually entered location. Weather complications are useless now as I travel often and only ever use the “current location” option.

You can try to reset all of your location settings to the factory default on your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [device], tap Reset, then tap Reset Location & Privacy.
When your location and privacy settings are reset, apps will stop using your location until you grant them permission.

Problem is the weather app on watchOS 10 isn’t even asking to use location in this instance, so there’s nothing to grant. Just a black screen with a plus button, only allowing to manually search for a location to add. Location permissions in settings are grayed out because it hasn’t asked to use them.

After unpairing four times now the complications are showing the same weather data as the “current location” setting on my phone but the app is only showing the default Cupertino and New York locations, and failing to load anything for them anyway. So as it stands the complications aren’t useless to me anymore but the app completely is. Not fussing with it further because complications are more important than pretty rain animations at the moment.

How the hell did it launch in this state?

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Same issue here on public release. Watch was sluggish and kept reloading complications very slowly, unpaired and set up again and now weather app doesn’t work without a manually entered location. Weather complications are useless now as I travel often and only ever use the “current location” option.

Problem is the weather app on watchOS 10 isn’t even asking to use location in this instance, so there’s nothing to grant. Just a black screen with a plus button, only allowing to manually search for a location to add. Location permissions in settings are grayed out because it hasn’t asked to use them.

After unpairing four times now the complications are showing the same weather data as the “current location” setting on my phone but the app is only showing the default Cupertino and New York locations, and failing to load anything for them anyway. So as it stands the complications aren’t useless to me anymore but the app completely is. Not fussing with it further because complications are more important than pretty rain animations at the moment.
I had an issue after upgrading today, tried a lot of different things (there’s another thread) but eventually rebooted the watch and all works as before

Vangeli

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
I had an issue after upgrading today, tried a lot of different things (there’s another thread) but eventually rebooted the watch and all works as before

Reboots and hard reboots didn’t fix it between each unpairing, nor did futzing with the settings in the Weather app on the phone. Truly tried everything I could think of; a solid fix would be nice but it’s fine for now as the complications are working at least.

Reactions: jz0309

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France

Reset the locations settings like I said on the iPhone, then add a new dummy city on the iPhone to force city list update on the watch
It works

falkirk81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Newcastle, UK
Reset the locations settings like I said on the iPhone, then add a new dummy city on the iPhone to force city list update on the watch
It works
The issue is, as I have already had to send my watch back to apple to downgrade, if I make the jump to watchOS 10 and I can't get it working like you say, I can't go back again. Awful situation!

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
The issue is, as I have already had to send my watch back to apple to downgrade, if I make the jump to watchOS 10 and I can't get it working like you say, I can't go back again. Awful situation!
You can fix the issue with my tip, no need to go back to Apple.

falkirk81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Newcastle, UK

Can you try what rbart suggested and let me know if it works?

It works

home405a

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2017
It works for me!! Thank you!!

Reactions: falkirk81

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX

I'm having the same issue. I got off of the public beta after the last one and was hoping a small update would come out when iOS 17 actually launched. That didn't happen.

I'm going to get back on to the public beta, reset both, and see if that fixes it. If not, I'll submit a feedback report, or whatever that's called.

Getting tired of doing them. Did about 6 for stuff at work yesterday (not related to Apple).

falkirk81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Newcastle, UK
I'm having the same issue. I got off of the public beta after the last one and was hoping a small update would come out when iOS 17 actually launched. That didn't happen.

I'm going to get back on to the public beta, reset both, and see if that fixes it. If not, I'll submit a feedback report, or whatever that's called.

Getting tired of doing them. Did about 6 for stuff at work yesterday (not related to Apple).
Feel free to quote my ticket number as I’ve already logged it with Apple and sent both phone and watch diagnostics to them.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I think this is fixed under today's update. I checked my Apple Watch's location and it has all my previous locations. It seems like they're all updated, too.

neilrajan1794

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2023
i have a series 7 gps model and whenever i set the large middle complication on the modular watch face to hourly weather conditions the complication starts to say "loading weather". i have reset location and privacy to factory defaults and it seemed to work for a day and then i began to see the problem reoccur . after updating my watch to watchOS 10.0.1 it did seem to work for a few hours and then its back to loading weather again .

Spenny25

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2016
UK
Same problem on mine and my wife's Series 7 SS....tried repairing the watch and resetting location services, no difference.
Even tried nuking my 14 Pro Max and setting both the phone and watch as new, still not working. Seems to be an issue with WatchOS 10. (10.0.1 made no difference).
Hopefully won't have to wait too long for an update to sort it.....

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Reset worked for me as far as the widget on my watch showing the temperature, but it did not add all my weather locations to the watch. Still shows Cupertino (I have a list of 5 on my iPhone 15 Pro)

neilrajan1794

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2023
Reset worked for me as far as the widget on my watch showing the temperature, but it did not add all my weather locations to the watch. Still shows Cupertino (I have a list of 5 on my iPhone 15 Pro)
can you check if your hourly weather conditions complication work fine ? in my case , even after the reset my watch still has trouble displaying weather data when i set the hourly weather condition complication in the watch face and in the smart stack as well.it keeps saying ''loading weather'' for most of the time and only very rarely does it show any actual data

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.