Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Need to call every couple of years to get the discounts reapplied
Oh I have, if memory serves me, their retentions team, offered so little to keep me, that I went and canceled. I've called a handful of times here and there and the deals were not tempting.

Part of the problem for me, is that they offer one thing, but you pay another, i.e., fees. Your screen shot shows a package deal for 165 but your bill is 216.

I'm paying something like 150, total (internet + tv). I'm unsure how DTV will work out, I'm willing to spend a little more if I get a better experience and/or the channels that are important to me.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Part of the problem for me, is that they offer one thing, but you pay another, i.e., fees.

Yeah, wish they were more like T-Mobile than Verizon. They aren't as bad as they were in the past, particularly with support.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
View attachment 2108947

Need to call every couple of years to get the discounts reapplied. Quad play helps reduce costs as well: Gigabit internet with unlimited data, TV, phone and home security.
I did this (call for my discounts) for several years before finally bailing. What really helped me leave Suddenlink (now Optimum) was their unreliable internet service.

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
Here are some Black Friday streaming service deals for anyone who might be interested.

Reactions: Huntn

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I'm on DirecTV for Redzone channel. Once Apple (or whoever) licenses it from the NFL, I'll probsbly be gone. I have Hulu+LiveTV as a backup when DTV satellite has issues due to the weather, and it's actually pretty good.

But I will say, DTV has added streaming backup, so if you lose satellite signal, most channels can be streamed until satellite is restored. Which kind of makes me wonder if they will dump satellite altogether an just become a srtreaming service.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Here are some Black Friday streaming service deals for anyone who might be interested.

I got a little excited about Hulu until I saw it was their bottom commercials-included tier. :confused:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm on DirecTV
I had DirecTV satellite back in the day. At one point they had excellent pricing/plans and excellent customer server - then the evil empire game (ATT) and things went south. I went back to comcast (the lessor of two evils).

Just a little while ago, I tried DirecTV streaming and in all honesty, I've been largely pleased with the service. I'm liking this better then Youtube TV, though YTTV has a better interface and UX. The most important aspect is that the wife is happy, we have channels that YTTV doesn't have (Magnolia channel, cooking channel, etc) and so its been a good change.

Reactions: Rafterman

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
Just signed up for the Hulu with ads $1.99/month and as I signed up, they offered Disney+ (add free) for $2.99/month. Happily I jumped on the chance as my current Disney+ premium was about to hit an annual $30 price hike in about a week.
I got a little excited about Hulu until I saw it was their bottom commercials-included tier. :confused:
FYI, when I signed up for the $1.99/month Hulu with ads plan, it also offered to add on Disney+, add free, for only $2.99 a month. Since my annual Disney+ plan ($79/year) is ending next week, I found the $2.99 deal to be a steal. My current Disney+ premium plan was going up $30 and I was going to cancel so this sounded like a much better deal.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is one of the biggest reasons on why I cancelled comcast
Comcast’s sneaky Broadcast TV fee hits $27, making a mockery of advertised rates

The Comcast "Broadcast TV" fee that isn't included in the company's advertised prices is rising again, tacking as much as $27 onto the monthly bills of cable TV users. Comcast's Broadcast TV and Regional Sports Network fees combined could add nearly $40 to a customer's monthly TV bill after next month's price hikes, all while Comcast advertises much lower prices than people actually pay

• Sad

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its funny that I posted the broadcast fees. Earlier this morning I had a truck come by and rip down the cable wire.

So, I had to google how to report wire down, and there's no way to call them, use some web form with zero feedback to when they'd come. I had to call and say my internet is not working and have the trouble shooting system try its stuff and then offer a call back to finally get a human and they said someone will show up between 10 and 12.

Basically if you have an issue, you cannot call comcast and talk to someone. You have to use the automated system and eventually they'll call you back. If its a safety issue, you cannot even call, but must use a web form.

I REALLY hate comcast.

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
Basically if you have an issue, you cannot call comcast and talk to someone. You have to use the automated system and eventually they'll call you back. If its a safety issue, you cannot even call, but must use a web form.

I REALLY hate comcast.
When I had a problem with Frontier cable, I called and was told my problem would require a home visit. So I went on Twitter to complain and tagged them. Shortly after, I received an offer to help me via a DM. About an hour later, this tech had me up and running. Remotely.

I have used this same technique (tagging a company on Twitter) for Verizon & Blue Shield health insurance. All with positive outcomes. I'm not saying it will work 100% of the time but social media is a powerful tool. Use it. They hate bad publicity.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have used this same technique (tagging a company on Twitter) for Verizon & Blue Shield health insurance. All with positive outcomes. I'm not saying it will work 100% of the time but social media is a powerful tool. Use it. They hate bad publicity.
Good idea, I'll keep in mind for the future.

Reactions: shadow puppet

H-L-T

Suspended
Oct 30, 2022
Kai-Tak
To me, YouTube TV really is the future of streaming. Even when I’m traveling, I don’t miss any content, and I can go back and rewatch virtually any event or program, whenever. I mean, you can’t beat that. Sure, there’s been an influx of price slightly, but I believe the price is justified based off the improvements and plethora of programming offered.

What prompted me to state YouTube TV has gotten better, is they changed their U.I., allowing to parse and navigate more efficiently, the suggestions based off the algorithm are more tailored specific to the user that are actually relevant, and load times are even faster. I don’t even care that they removed certain channels based off failed negotiations (Typically lower volume audience channels), but they made some tweaks that were necessary and they listened to feedback.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
they changed their U.I., allowing to parse and navigate more efficiently,
Agreed, In using both YTTV and DirecTV, I find the UI better for YTTV.

I'm generally happy with DTV, and my wife is very pleased that she got her channels back. That's really the bottom line, it doesn't matter how good the UI is for a streaming service, if it doesn't have the channels that you want.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So, I noticed an odditty with DirecTV - it doesn't seem to have the NFL network. I really was looking forward to watching last night's Mia vs Buff football game, but alas the channel wasn't available - what makes it really odd, is that DirecTV has the NFL sunday package but not the NFL network?

Not a deal breaker, especially since it took months for me to even notice that I didn't have it.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
DirectTV Stream (as they now call it) has NHL Network, a big plus here in the Midwest. But also quite a few other interesting channels I don't see with other streaming competitors. But with an antenna and internet, so easy to cut cable TV.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
So, I noticed an odditty with DirecTV - it doesn't seem to have the NFL network. I really was looking forward to watching last night's Mia vs Buff football game, but alas the channel wasn't available - what makes it really odd, is that DirecTV has the NFL sunday package but not the NFL network?

Not a deal breaker, especially since it took months for me to even notice that I didn't have it.

I have DirecTV and the NFL Network is there. Maybe it depends what tier you are purchasing.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have DirecTV and the NFL Network is there. Maybe it depends what tier you are purchasing.
Weird - do you have the satillite or the streaming service?

Here's a snippet of the channel line up for the streaming. As you can see, there's no NFL (or even national football league channel). I currently have the ultimate, because wifey wants the magnolia channel - happy wife, non-dead husband :p

Linky

1671703916313.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So I've had DirecTV streaming now for a few months and I'd like to offer some thoughts as related to YoutubeTV

First off, I think YTTV offers a superior experience for less money. Their program guide is set up nicely, and you can customize it. The DVR is excellent, for instance, I was able to record all Nascar races in one click. I'd then watch the recorded race and basically watch it in high speed, slowing down when something interesting happen. With DTV I can jump ahead 30 seconds, but no fast forwarding. For DTV, the DVR option works well enough but is more limited. I have to select each nascar race, since technically each race is "different" then the prior week and DTV doesn't know how to deal with that.

The cost of DTV is similar to YTTV, provided you select the low end tier. Because the channels my wife wants is in the upper tier, I'm paying more $$.

The bottom line, while YTTV has more positives then DTV, the biggest reason for my sticking with DirecTV is channels. My wife absolutely wants certain channels, and they are not available to YTTV, so that's a show stopper.

I'm not disappointed with DTV, so don't get me wrong, its just that I think you get a better experience with YTTV .

Reactions: max2

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
So I've had DirecTV streaming now for a few months and I'd like to offer some thoughts as related to YoutubeTV

First off, I think YTTV offers a superior experience for less money. Their program guide is set up nicely, and you can customize it. The DVR is excellent, for instance, I was able to record all Nascar races in one click. I'd then watch the recorded race and basically watch it in high speed, slowing down when something interesting happen. With DTV I can jump ahead 30 seconds, but no fast forwarding. For DTV, the DVR option works well enough but is more limited. I have to select each nascar race, since technically each race is "different" then the prior week and DTV doesn't know how to deal with that.

The cost of DTV is similar to YTTV, provided you select the low end tier. Because the channels my wife wants is in the upper tier, I'm paying more $$.

The bottom line, while YTTV has more positives then DTV, the biggest reason for my sticking with DirecTV is channels. My wife absolutely wants certain channels, and they are not available to YTTV, so that's a show stopper.

I'm not disappointed with DTV, so don't get me wrong, its just that I think you get a better experience with YTTV .
I'm an early DirectTV Stream adopter in the so-called grandfathered category. My package has more than 100 channels, though only watch a fraction of them. But the discounted price and the channel selection is what's keeping me there. As a note, I had Sling for a while at the same time, with noticeable better picture quality from DirectTV Stream.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
noticeable better picture quality from DirectTV Stream.
Thanks for your response.

Do you get any Network congested messages while the streaming is hung up?

I forgot to mention that, in my earlier post. Some days I see this happening throughout the night, and other nights, nothing. I've confirmed that the issues isn't on my side of things, i.e., my comcast internet is fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.