Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Cutting the TV cable is very easy for most of us on this site who do not live in apartments without attic access.

If you are within 60 miles of any medium size city in the US, there is plenty of signal around for you to watch many channels of 720 and 1080 TV free. Here are some tips.

1. Even if you live in a major city, set-top or room/window antennas are more trouble then they are worth...unless you get very lucky... Most indoor antennas sold on line are scams.

2. Attic, or back side of house is where you want your antenna. Multiple antennas can be coupled to look in two directions without having to rotate or switch.

3. Antennas see through trees and walls just fine, but do not like aluminum foil backed insulation.

4. Yagi Antennas are long proven tech. Most high quality Yagis cost about $100 Ea. A2

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I made the move away from cable as outlined at the beginning of this thread, with the agreement of my spouse a couple of years ago, but her insistence on getting American football reliably on apps, ended up killing the deal. We are back with our cable provider. Maybe we’ll try again in the furture. She seems to be less interested in football these days. :)

DA, DI DA DA, big news, my wife has agreed in principle to take another crack at cutting the cable. :D In actuality, we watch virtually no regular channels as a matter of routine. She still says she wants football, but last season, she hardly watched any.

Today we purchased a 65" 4k Visio P Series TV for $890 at Costco. It's got a refresh rate of 240 Hz. The same priced Samsung same size, has a refresh rate of just 120Hz. I just dragged it into the house.

Part 1- I have learned that the new TVs have built in hubs so that it MAY be possible to get ditch both my dedicated Roku and my Apple TV boxes. I am almost certain that I can stop relying on Roku because the primary channels we watch there are Netflix, Prime Video, and Acorn TV, and those come as channels.

Apple TV
I am not sure about if it is available as a channel. A employee at Costco looked it up on his phone and told me it is a channel. I'm not so sure about that. Does anyone know? I posted a question over in the MRs Apple TV forum, but so far, I don't have a solid answer. (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/is-a-dedicated-apple-tv-box-still-required.2178183/)

Part 2- I have to reinvestigate Sling TV and see if i'm going to go back to them for a channel bundle. It's likely. Yes they are still supposed to have American Football. My wife wants Hallmark Channel, not Hallmark Movie Channel. Last time it was really annoying when I launched a channel like CBS (vanilla) and I was advised that I had to sign into my cable company to get access to that channel. Does anyone know if that is still the case?

Part 3- The next thing is internet. I'm paying about $70 a month for internet, unlimited data, through my cable provider Suddenlink. If viewing a lot of 4k content, I can see eating through a lot of data. I've noticed in the neighborhood them (someone) running a lot of substantial looking yellow cables along the streets and I think this may be fiber optic cable that I think is AT&T. So I'm going to call them and see what they offer and if I have access to it.

Part 4- Take down the old TV, pull out the old component cable, pull through the new 4k HDMI cable (through the wall from the control cabinet) and hang the new TV. It weighs about 65 pounds and I think my wife and I can manage to hang the new TV. I'm going to see if I can use the existing wall mount hardware of if I need new hardware.

Stay tuned for more news! Eventually I will update post 1 to reflect the changes I have discovered. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
How I did it.

Called Comcast and cancelled cable.
The houses are completely wireless using Apple TV and Hulu Live.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
After Cable is cut, getting Internet to you TVs?

In my house the cable from my cable provider (Suddenlink) goes to the attic, where is splits off to three bedrooms and down to the family room, and then it splits there to the kitchen. The cable modem and wireless router sits in the family room. A TIVO unit from Suddenlink powers the TV. In addition I have both a Roku3 (wireless) and an Apple TV (wireless) box both connected to the TV via HDML cables.

When the transition is complete, the cable will only be providing internet, TIVO boxes gone.

In our bedroom the not-smart TV is connected to the internet via a TiVO mini box which is connected to the coaxial cable system. We also have a smart DVD player with Netflix on it that connects wirelessly to the router in the family room. So I’m thinking that with a smart TV in the family room, that can access all of the channels I normally access with my Roku box, that I can move the Roku 3 box to the bedroom to connect it to the network and cover that TV.

Now the other three not-smart TVs are in guest bed rooms and one in the kitchen. Now what wireless device could I connect these TVs to my router with? These devices would need the hub function to be able to pull up app channels. Could you have multiple Roku wireless boxes connected to the same network? What about multiple cable modems/routers (connected via coaxial), one for each TV? The other option would be to buy new smart TVs, but they still need an internet connection.

Thought? Thanks!
[doublepost=1555537002][/doublepost]
Wireless data.
If you don’t mind describing , what kind of hardware are you using? Smart TVs, what kind of other devices?

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Just a bunch of LG 4K TVs.
Each tv has an Apple TV connected which is connected to WiFi.
The tv’s can be placed anywhere limited only by an electrical outlet.
Data is $100/mo.

My programming needs are light. Mostly news and live sports.
For live television I subscribe to Hulu Live ($49/mo).
Movies steam from iTunes and Amazon Prime. I also subscribe to Netflix but never use it.

I stream music throughout the house (Sonos) from 6:30 am to 10 pm every day and have at least one tv running a cable news show from 5 pm to 10 pm. More tv use on weekends, especially during football season.

B67065B0-D785-461C-8004-B9D7EBCDAC5C.jpeg
C823233C-51C5-4D32-8418-5934D3283C71.jpeg
DFAEA742-3AB3-4DCB-9898-D7AE632FF655.jpeg

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Data is $100/mo.

Movies steam from iTunes and Amazon Prime. I also subscribe to Netflix but never use it.

I stream music throughout the house (Sonos) from 6:30 am to 10 pm every day and have at least one tv running a cable news show from 5 pm to 10 pm. More tv use on weekends, especially during football season.

View attachment 832690
View attachment 832689
View attachment 832688
That was one of my questions, you have multiple Apple TV boxes (wireless), one for each TV connected to the same network, using a single ITunes account, without complications? And let’s say you run Netflix on each of them, you would just have to sign in to each one (same Netflix account) and activate each individual Netflix app?

How do you access football? Are you watching Sun, Mon, and Thur games? I see you have Hulu live, any issues with seeing broadcast football there? I’m not vested in Sling TV, although I used that before. If there are no issues with watching Sun, Mon, and Thursday Football, I’d be good with Hulu Live.
Thanks!

[doublepost=1555543820][/doublepost]

I wonder if Sling TV can be activated on multiple boxes with a single Sling TV account? I’m assuming that these channels can be activated on multiple devices with a single account.

I’ve been using a Roku base unit, and upgraded once and am currently using a Roku 3 hockey puck. Does anyone here have experience with the Roku sticks that plug right into the HDMI port on the TV, do you get good pictures and performance with those?

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
That was one of my questions, you have multiple Apple TV boxes (wireless), one for each TV connected to the same network, without complications? And let’s say you run Netflix on each of them, you would just have to sign in to each one (same Netflix account) and activate each individual Netflix app?

How do you access football? Are you watching Sun, Mon, and Thur games?

I wonder if Sling TV can be activated on multiple boxes with a single Sling TV account?

Yes, an Apple TV for each television (five) all on the same network. No complications at all. What conflict concerns you?

Hulu Live gives you the regular broadcast games on NBC, CBS, ABC, and ESPN, plus some local programming just like a standard cable subscription. I get some Thursday games but not all. No different than my old cable subscription. (NFL packages can be purchased via the NFL app on Apple TV ($99 / season ???) but it didn’t look like a good value for me.)

I think my Netflix subscription limit is two connections. I launch Netflix from their app on Apple TV. After signing in once on each Apple TV it’s available for subsequent uses. If two are already in use and I launch a third an error message displays saying two connections are already in use. Perhaps an upgraded subscription allows more simultaneous connections. I don’t use Netflix so my familiarity is limited.

I have no experience with Sling TV.

My requirements were no cable and be wireless.
I’m not pushing Apple TV or Hulu, but they are outstanding wireless/non-cable solutions for my needs.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
One thing I’ve been thinking about is that I like recording shows, because then in those shows with commercials, you can zip through them, but you can’t if they are on a network like ABC, fast forward is restricted. Now admittedly, we are not watching that many shows with commercials. I realize with streaming, no reason to record, but as I remember with broadcast channels sometimes you have to watch their shows within a time limit, like if you are trying to catch something from last season, which does not happen too often. I’m just rambling. :p

The other

Yes, an Apple TV for each television (five) all on the same network. No complications at all. What conflict concerns you?

Hulu Live gives you the regular broadcast games on NBC, CBS, ABC, and ESPN, plus some local programming just like a standard cable subscription. I get some Thursday games but not all. No different than my old cable subscription. (NFL packages can be purchased via the NFL app on Apple TV ($99 / season ???) but it didn’t look like a good value for me.)

I think my Netflix subscription limit is two connections. I launch Netflix from their app on Apple TV. After signing in once on each Apple TV it’s available for subsequent uses. If two are already in use and I launch a third an error message displays saying two connections are already in use. Perhaps an upgraded subscription allows more simultaneous connections. I don’t use Netflix so my familiarity is limited.

I have no experience with Sling TV.

My requirements were no cable and be wireless.
I’m not pushing Apple TV or Hulu, but they are outstanding wireless/non-cable solutions for my needs.
Thanks for the info! :) Do you know if Hulu Live has the same sign-on restrictions as Netflix?

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
One thing I’ve been thinking about is that I like recording shows, because then in those shows with commercials, you can zip through them, but you can’t if they are on a network like ABC, fast forward is restricted. Now admittedly, we are not watching that many shows with commercials. I realize with streaming, no reason to record, but as I remember with broadcast channels sometimes you have to watch their shows within a time limit, like if you are trying to catch something from last season, which does not happen too often. I’m just rambling. :p

The other

Thanks for the info! :) Do you know if Hulu Live has the same sign-on restrictions as Netflix?

You’re very welcome. Yes, Hulu Live has limits but they’re scalable in their pricing. I think the basic rate allows 2 or 3 connections and for $10 more it’s unlimited? I’m not to confident in that answer. I’ll research and get back to you.

Also, if you are considering Hulu Live I’d like to give you a few cons if you’re interested.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You’re very welcome. Yes, Hulu Live has limits but they’re scalable in their pricing. I think the basic rate allows 2 or 3 connections and for $10 more it’s unlimited? I’m not to confident in that answer. I’ll research and get back to you.

Also, if you are considering Hulu Live I’d like to give you a few cons if you’re interested.

Does Apple TV have multiple logon restrictions?
Absolutely, my motivation is to satisfy my wife, ie FOOTBALL! So Hulu Live costs slightly more than the Sling TV duel package price, both gets everything she needs to be satisfied with the arrangement, except maybe Hallmark channel. :)

I’ve ordered a Roku stick to try out in one of the bedrooms, and the Roku Premier + for the main 4K TV. The Roku3 currently on our main TV will go in either our bedroom or the other guest room.

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
The number of simultaneous streams that can have on Hulu will depend on the plan that you sign up for. As a Live TV subscriber, you’ll be able to stream from two devices at one time. However, if you have a big family with different TV tastes, the Unlimited Screens Add-on may be the perfect fit for you.

Quit fighting over the remote already! Add Unlimited Screens to your live TV subscription and you’ll be able to stream on any number of supported devices that are connected to your Home Network at the same time. Plus, while you’re on the go you can also stream from up to three separate mobile devices.

AA7B3BA4-CB44-4544-AE65-20E44B4C0319.jpeg
[doublepost=1555553861][/doublepost]
Absolutely, my motivation is to satisfy my wife, ie FOOTBALL! So Hulu Live costs slightly more than the Sling TV duel package price, both gets everything she needs to be satisfied with the arrangement, except maybe Hallmark channel. :)

I’ve ordered a Roku stick to try out in one of the bedrooms, and the Roku Premier + for the main 4K TV.

I’ll compose a few cons later tonight but probably tomorrow. There are some adjustments to streaming. While very good, it’s not as good as cable in my opinion. Just as contacts lenses are good but not as good as glasses.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
View attachment 832719
[doublepost=1555553861][/doublepost]

I’ll compose a few cons later tonight but probably tomorrow. There are some adjustments to streaming. While very good, it’s not as good as cable in my opinion. Just as contacts lenses are good but not as good as glasses.
Rest well, you deserved it! :)
Do you know who owns Hulu? I’m wondering if it is a large cable provider...

My issue with cable centers around one thing, pricing in combination with pushing large packages of unwatched channels on customers because the customer wants 1 or 2 channels beyond the basic package. I spoke with a help desk guy at Suddenlink who agreed with me that ala carte pricing is the future. Suddenlink is in the process of merging with a company called Altice (spelling?), and he said a lot of things will be changing in the near future and seemed to think ala carte was one of those things.

Right now my cable bill (that includes security monitoring, and internet) costs $209 a month. Of that internet is $70 for 200 Mbits/sec and security monitoring $15. I figure I can reduce my bill by $100, but then I’ll be adding net streaming for about $40, so I’ll save about $60 a month, with the satisfaction I won’t be looking at a hundred channels I don’t watch.

Reactions: Gutwrench

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Data is $100/mo.

View attachment 832690
View attachment 832689
View attachment 832688
You really do spoil Lulu.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Two of the channels we want are AMC, home of several shows we watch, and TCM.

It looks like Hulu does not have AMC and SlingTV does.
It looks like Hulu has TCM, but with Sling it may be a channel that can be added.

I think Roku and AppleTV both host these channels, but I want to know if anyone is accessing them without traditional cable service? My concern is that these channels as stand alone, may ask for your cable service sign in.

Thanks!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
For streaming, I'm looking at Hulu Live ($40, Cloud DVR 50 hrs, no Hallmark Channel, but has TCM & MSNBC), SlingTV ($40+$15 for extras [DVR, Hallmark, MSNBC], but no TCM, does have AMC), and YouTube TV (Unlimited DVR, no Hallmark Channel, has AMC, and TCM).

I know @Gutwrench has Hulu, but anyone using Sling or YouTube? If so, what are your impressions? Do you watch sports on them? Thanks!

Hulu Live vs. YouTube TV vs. Sling vs. Vue vs. DirecTV Now: Face-Off! https://www.tomsguide.com/us/youtube-tv-vs-cable-tv-replacements,news-24578.html

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
For streaming, I'm looking at Hulu Live ($40, Cloud DVR 50 hrs, no Hallmark Channel, but has TCM & MSNBC), SlingTV ($40+$15 for extras [DVR, Hallmark, MSNBC], but no TCM, does have AMC), and YouTube TV (Unlimited DVR, no Hallmark Channel, has AMC, and TCM).

I know @Gutwrench has Hulu, but anyone using Sling or YouTube? If so, what are your impressions? Do you watch sports on them? Thanks!

Hulu Live vs. YouTube TV vs. Sling vs. Vue vs. DirecTV Now: Face-Off! https://www.tomsguide.com/us/youtube-tv-vs-cable-tv-replacements,news-24578.html
I have been using YTTV and now that they have added the Discovery lineup have been very happy with them. So far I'm just a few weeks into cutting the cord and it has been a liberating experience for me. Some sacrifices but the ability to choose what and how I watch is all worth it to me.

Also, I'm not sure what everyone else uses but I already had Roku boxes so that's been my standard. I've been wanting to go with Amazon Firestick but they do not support YTTV (though I understand an agreement has been reached and they will be adding it), would be interested to hear what others are using.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have been using YTTV and now that they have added the Discovery lineup have been very happy with them. So far I'm just a few weeks into cutting the cord and it has been a liberating experience for me. Some sacrifices but the ability to choose what and how I watch is all worth it to me.

Also, I'm not sure what everyone else uses but I already had Roku boxes so that's been my standard. I've been wanting to go with Amazon Firestick but they do not support YTTV (though I understand an agreement has been reached and they will be adding it), would be interested to hear what others are using.

I ended up choosing Sling TV, (DVR, AMC, TCM, Hallmark, and MSNBC), $55*and I ended up keeping basic cable because the way the pricing worked out, it was going to cost me more to completely kill cable, but keep an unlimited data plan for all the streaming. This has an unexpected benefit of making football (Fox, NBC, ABC?) actually easier to watch.

*For a 3 month intro rate, I’m only playing $25 now for both their Orange and Blue packages, but when that runs out, Football will start which requires the Orange Plan (ESPN), which I already have, but after Feb 2020, I’ll cancel the Orange Plan until the fall.

So when all is said and done, I’m saving about $60 a month, which is not huge by any means, and I’m still playing the game of picking channel packages, it is just that the packages are smaller and less expensive. For example Suddenlink jumped from 24 channels ($15) to 200 channels 90% of which I did not watch, plus they charged $24 for DVR capability vs $5 for Sling, and $0 for YTTV. We were already used to switching tv sources for Roku and AppleTV. The only real difference we notice for our normal broadcast channels is that when we switch to something like NBC instead of auto streaming, you have to click on “watch”.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericgtr12

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I ended up choosing Sling TV, (DVR, AMC, TCM, Hallmark, and MSNBC), $55*and I ended up keeping basic cable because the way the pricing worked out, it was going to cost me more to completely kill cable, but keep an unlimited data plan for all the streaming. This has an unexpected benefit of making football (Fox, NBC, ABC?) actually easier to watch.

*For a 3 month intro rate, I’m only playing $25 now for both their Orange and Blur packages, but when that runs out, Football will start which requires the Orange Plan (ESPN), which I already have, but after Feb 2020, I’ll cancel the Orange Plan until the fall.

So when all is said and done, I’m saving about $60 a month, which is not huge by any means, and I’m still playing the game of picking channel packages, it is just that the packages are smaller and less expensive. For example Suddenlink jumped from 24 channels ($15) to 200 channels 90% of which I did not watch, plus they charged $24 for DVR capability vs $5 for Sling, and $0 for YTTV. We were already used to switching tv sources for Roku and AppleTV. The only real difference we notice for our normal broadcast channels is that when we switch to something like NBC instead of auto streaming, you have to click on “watch”.
Interesting choices, in the end saving $60 is worth it IMO, plus you get your own choices. Are you using Comcast? I ask because they have an app for Roku, then you would no longer need to switch inputs.

I may be wrong but I thought with Comcast internet you get a free basic package of 13 channels, at least that used to be the case.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Interesting choices, in the end saving $60 is worth it IMO, plus you get your own choices. Are you using Comcast? I ask because they have an app for Roku, then you would no longer need to switch inputs.

I may be wrong but I thought with Comcast internet you get a free basic package of 13 channels, at least that used to be the case.
We have Suddenlink.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
AppleTV vs Roku-
For 4k content you will need the latest version of these hubs. The following article compares them.

• Apple TV-
    • Better processor, more RAM
    • Speedier
    • Overall, better experience
  • Roku-
    • More online content options
    • Ergonomic remote goodness
    • An integrated 3.5mm headphone jack
    • 4K compatibility for less
  • Apple Remote- I’m not crazy about the AppleTVs swipe remote, but if you are using long passwords for signing into apps, built in Siri is easier than manually entering them. And the Apple Remote has a built in rechargeable battery, charged with the same cable you use on your iPhone/iPad. Can that battery be replaced, or does it require a new remote? I don’t know.
  • The Roku Remote- uses traditional buttons and includes a headset connection so you can listen to your TV silently. If you have a smart tv you may be able to connect a wireless headset to it so this feature may or may not be important.
  • Connectivity- AppleTV has an Ethernet connector so it can be hard wired to your router, or wireless. The Roku is wireless only to your router. Both connect to your TV with HDMI cables.
  • Hardware- Apple TV is reported to have a better processor with more RAM, but I have not noticed any “speed” differences between these two units, and I’ve not noticed image quality differences.
  • My impression is that they offer the same channels, but the article says that the Roku has more online options. So far I have not noticed specifically.
  • Purchased content- Both AppleTV and Roku offer Amazon Prime Video. However, there is no “Apple” content on Roku persay. It has been reported there is a way to pull up Apple purchased on the Roku, but I have not looked into that.

Apple TV 4K vs. Roku Ultra: Which should you buy?
https://www.imore.com/apple-tv-4k-vs-roku-ultra

Last edited:

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
AppleTV vs Roku-
For 4k content you will need the latest version of these hubs. The following article compares them.

• Apple TV-
    • Better processor, more RAM
    • Speedier
    • Overall, better experience
  • Roku-
    • More online content options
    • Ergonomic remote goodness
    • An integrated 3.5mm headphone jack
    • 4K compatibility for less
  • Apple Remote- I’m not crazy about the AppleTVs swipe remote, but if you are using long passwords for signing into apps, built in Siri is easier than manually entering them. And the Apple Remote has a built rechargeable battery, charged with the same cable you use on your iPhone/iPad.
  • The Roku Remote- uses traditional buttons and includes a headset connection so you can listen to your TV silently. If you have a smart tv you may be able to connect a wireless headset to it so this feature may or may not be important.
  • Connectivity- AppleTV has an Ethernet connector so it can be hard wired to your router, or wireless. The Roku is wireless only to your router. Both connect to your TV with HDMI cables.
  • Hardware- Apple TV is reported to have a better processor with more RAM, but I have not noticed any “speed” differences between these two units, and I’ve not noticed image quality differences.
  • My impression is that they offer the same channels, but the article says that the Roku has more online options. So far I have not noticed specifically.
  • Purchased content- Both AppleTV and Roku offer Amazon Prime Video. However, there is no “Apple” content on Roku persay. It has been reported there is a way to pull up Apple purchased on the Roku, but I have not looked into that.

Apple TV 4K vs. Roku Ultra: Which should you buy?
https://www.imore.com/apple-tv-4k-vs-roku-ultra
Good info, thanks for that. I am going with Roku, simply because they offer more options for apps, many of which I am unable to get on Apple TV. Typically I like that the iPhone limits you in this way because it's what's best for the iPhone but when it comest to TV content you want options.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Good info, thanks for that. I am going with Roku, simply because they offer more options for apps, many of which I am unable to get on Apple TV. Typically I like that the iPhone limits you in this way because it's what's best for the iPhone but when it comest to TV content you want options.
What kind of apps does Roku have , that Apple TV dies not have?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.