Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Is this the version of Parallels that allows more than 8gb of memory?
I don't use my older version of Parallels very often, but was thinking of taking advantage of this deal, but your question caused me to dig a little deeper. So apparently the Standard version (which this is) is crippled to allow for using only 4 cores and 8GB of RAM.

I'm also worried about the terminology which suggests that the app might be suscription-only and become unusable after 1 year.

gplusplus

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2018
I don't use my older version of Parallels very often, but was thinking of taking advantage of this deal, but your question caused me to dig a little deeper. So apparently the Standard version (which this is) is crippled to allow for using only 4 cores and 8GB of RAM.

I'm also worried about the terminology which suggests that the app might be suscription-only and become unusable after 1 year.
I’m with you, 100%. I wonder how many sales Parallels is losing due to ambiguous licensing terms. The artificial limits also kind of tick me off on a moral level.

VirtualBox will do just fine for me until either VMWare(Fusion) catches up or Parallels changes their business model.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Is that specific to this offer, since Parallels is still a stand alone software, there IS an annual offering too, but I wouldn't expect this to be that one?

Parallels Desktop Standard Edition is available as both subscription and perpetual. Everything other feature level or product they sell is subscription.

VirtualBox will do just fine for me until either VMWare(Fusion) catches up or Parallels changes their business model.

VirtualBox has similar licensing (per socket or per named user) that you must pay for if you're not a personal user/evaluating. It's actually in the standard two-part perpetual+annual support. That's how their parent, Oracle, and enterprise software in general works.

Last edited:

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Is this the version of Parallels that allows more than 8gb of memory?

No, the $79.99 version of Parallels is the standard version and is limited to 8GB. The Pro version allows up to 128GB.

https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/#compare

Parallels is the subscription for one year - which I am not interested in. If it had been the Standalone, I would have jumped. Also, their "Specs" page says 'Only available to new users", which seems kind of weird.

That is disappointing and should be more clear in the bundle listing that this will have to be renewed every year. The "only available to new users" is to prevent existing customers from buying this and stacking another year on to their subscription.

Reactions: pinchies and Jaro65

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I’ve used Disk Drill for the better part of 7 or 8 years, but am several versions behind because I wasn’t a fan of their “update” structure. That alone makes this bundle worth it.

I am really surprised you like that ...., I downloaded the App half a year ago, should have instantly deleted it since it's so Windows like which I despise.
I didn't and tried it for 1 single time (Had a good reason), after using it I thought it wasn't up to what they promise, deleted it so I thought, only later on I realised a daemon was still running, my Mac got close to zero free space, there was a Folder I didn't recognise, the Developer had nothing about this Folder, couldn't find anything on their site.
IIRC it ate 80 GB of my disk.

Never again.

Reactions: CanadianGuy

robbski300

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2018
Bottom line is, "If it sounds too good to be true, it IS." I'm staying away from this "good deal".
[automerge]1575309590[/automerge]
Has anyone purchased this bundle yet?

I did, mainly for parallels, activation worked like a charm.. For RapidWeaver and Banktivity, both say the code provided is invalid. Ive reached out to StackSocial support and waiting their reply.. I haven't tried any of the other apps yet.

Just curious if this is a just me thing, or something more widespread.

Any word back from them?

Last edited:
Reactions: S G and tennisproha

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Remember Parallels is a subscription, so after a year you have to pay $80.

Not compatible with older macOS versions and Windows versions.

Uh huh. I used to buy these bundles back in the day and it was great. Now it's just another way to lure you into yet another subscription. SaaS killed a lot of the fun of owning a mac for me. I bet many of these are just subscriptions.

robbski300

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2018
SaaS killed a lot of the fun of owning a mac for me. I bet many of these are just subscriptions.

Exactly. This is just a ploy to suck you in. I really HATE the direction software applications has gone. I'd be interested in the Banktivity 7 ( I currently use no-longer supported 6), but people are saying the "code" doesn't work. This article is REAL close to *CLICKBAIT* in my opinion, thus, I'm staying away!

Tim Großklaus

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2019
I've run into a weird one: Trying to activate Disk Drill and it won't let me type in a strange smattering of letters. I can type an "H" anywhere else on my Mac. But not in the activation window. Can't even copy and paste.

Weird.

robbski300

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2018
I've run into a weird one: Trying to activate Disk Drill and it won't let me type in a strange smattering of letters. I can type an "H" anywhere else on my Mac. But not in the activation window. Can't even copy and paste.

Weird.
Get your money back while you still can. : )

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
I bought it yesterday and I paid $23 when CMSAVE60 code was working now they removed it. I wonder if I can keep using Parallels without renewing the yearly subscription.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
i was thinking of buying iMazing anyway which is on sale for $20. I already have PDF Expert and really have no need for the other apps - but not sure if it is worth spending the extra $16 to get them or not.

dewalt

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
As much as I hate that Parallels is subscription based, I have a free license to VMware Fusion from work, and still paid for a sub for Parallels. I havent compared it to Virtualbox, but Parallels blew out Fusion in nearly every fashion of what I used it for --- straight MS office (outlook for mac is severely cripped). I cant recall anything Fusion does better, except that it didnt cost me anything.

Reactions: LarryBaker

magicnigel

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2010
NI, UK
I got caught by the yearly subscription thing in Parallels, thought I was buying a full license, only found out when I went to redeem my code. Pretty annoyed, I asked if there was any way to get a refund but they flat out told me that they pay the companies immediately and can't refund anything. I would get credit back but there's nothing worth buying in their store.
[automerge]1575335682[/automerge]
I am curious what folks use Parallels for these days instead of the free VirtualBox.
I used Virtualbox for a while, If I moved my mouse from the VM to my Mac and back, the mouse would be unresponsive, and the cursor missing. When it did appear, virtualbox was incredibly slow compared to the Vmware Fusion I had tested.

Last edited:
Reactions: JosephAW

CanadianGuy

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Bought this mainly for Parallels. Which I know is a subscription. I didn't expect a bunch of the others to be subscriptions as well. I'm all for subscriptions (I like to spread my costs out), but getting subscriptions for apps I don't even need/want, that's annoying.

Even worse, when redeeming these apps, you have to give your credit card info to each of the companies separately, so they can renew the subscription on you. Serious PITA. Think this will be the last bundle I ever buy.

NOTE: I immediately cancelled the Parallels subscription right after activating the license to avoid an automatic charge in a year. No worries. Went to cancel the TextExpander subscription for the same reason, and it states that if I cancel now, it will stop working now.

"After confirming your cancelation, your subscription will remain active until the end of your current subscription period (3-Dec-2019). After this date your subscription will end, and you will not be billed again."

Last edited:

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
Bought this mainly for Parallels. Which I know is a subscription. I didn't expect a bunch of the others to be subscriptions as well. I'm all for subscriptions (I like to spread my costs out), but getting subscriptions for apps I don't even need/want, that's annoying.

Even worse, when redeeming these apps, you have to give your credit card info to each of the companies separately, so they can renew the subscription on you. Serious PITA. Think this will be the last bundle I ever buy.

NOTE: I immediately cancelled the Parallels subscription right after activating the license to avoid an automatic charge in a year. No worries. Went to cancel the TextExpander subscription for the same reason, and it states that if I cancel now, it will stop working now.

"After confirming your cancelation, your subscription will remain active until the end of your current subscription period (3-Dec-2019). After this date your subscription will end, and you will not be billed again."

thanks for this information. what a bummer.

Floop

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Yeah, I am another annoyed customer who bought this, and then realised Parallels is only a 1 year subscription. And the same goes for a bunch of the other products.

No refund possible.

STAY AWAY PEOPLE.

MacRumors, you also get your fair share of my annoyance for failing to make it clear in your article that for a bunch of these products, you are getting a one year subscription (you are not getting THE PRODUCT). This really should have been clearer.

I'm really annoyed with myself for falling for this, I will not be buying one of these bundles again without checking the small print *extremely* carefully.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
It’s disappointing to have all of my suspicions confirmed, but hardly surprising. I think the time of the ‘bundle’ is at an end. It’s yet another thing that SaaS has killed. There’s nothing more user-hostile than rented software. There are *maybe* three or four exceptions, but for the most part, this is just a money grab.

Reactions: pinchies
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.