Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It would be nice to have a particular widget set to always stay visible, or even always on top if needed. Just to have more options.

I don't care too much either way. Looking forward to Tiger-

tubedogg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
Minnesota
hikeNM said:
It seems useless to me if they are permanent residents. Might as well just have an app. running if its always there.
Why write a full-blown app when you can write what is essentially a plugin for an existing framework (Konfabulator) in JavaScript? The stuff that this works for is stuff that a whole app wouldn't necessarily make sense for. It's just simpler.

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2003
I personally like the dashboard way of doing things. I often need to do simple repetitive tasks, using something for just a few seconds (calculator, check the weather/temp, quick news bytes) and then jump back to what I was doing. This currently involves a bit of jumping around, or leaving programs running in the dock, which clutters my screen. Having all this "appear" and "dissapear" at the click of a button will save me alot of time!

Thanks Apple!

Bring it on :D

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
tubedogg said:
Why write a full-blown app when you can write what is essentially a plugin for an existing framework (Konfabulator) in JavaScript? The stuff that this works for is stuff that a whole app wouldn't necessarily make sense for. It's just simpler.

If you like your widgets to be visible all the time then just use Konfab. Simple as that. I know a lot of people who don't like their desktop cluttered, so do I but if you prefer it the other way around there is an option. That's the good thing about choice. :D

bluesloth

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2005
"how exactly is Dashboard better than Konfabulator?"

One of the big differences I see is $24.95.

I would much rather get this functionality for free (since I will get Tiger anyways).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.