Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Gosh I wish there was a way to remove the stupid badge on my Settings app that is reminding me to download and install iOS 15. I DON'T WANT IT APPLE!

Keep that garbage off my device.

I feel like they're gonna nag me until I eventually cave.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I'm just annoyed.

I got the notification badge to go away but I had to start downloading the update, then delete it before it finished. Now the badge is gone, but now I'm afraid that since I started it, it will stealthily download in the background and install it when I'm not looking.

• Haha
Reactions: NC12 and Jynto

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Gosh I wish there was a way to remove the stupid badge on my Settings app that is reminding me to download and install iOS 15. I DON'T WANT IT APPLE!

Keep that garbage off my device.

I feel like they're gonna nag me until I eventually cave.
Not sure why you’re so upset about an OS update. But you could put the settings app inside the app draw and not allow badges in the app draw ?.
I suppose you could just post about it in the internet instead…

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Maybe not officially, but I’m sure a significant number of Apple staff read these forums. If not, they are missing out on a large source of user feedback
I would agree with chabig, when a large company such as Apple are scrapping for web data, developers by and large target reddit. Not forums.

Reactions: BarredOwl

Zanton68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
15 is not that bad, the 15.1 update solved many issues as far a video play back stutter.
those 3 dots are punishment for us being a human in 2021 using an iPod
as the notch in those new macbooks pros
Is it still really buggy ? I updated my iPhone 8 Plus, but don’t use it much. Do you know where there is a good list of known bugs?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Agree.

Apple's stance was to keep both iOS14 and 15. The previous implementation was proper, where no update for iOS14 is indicated unless it's an actual patch for iOS14 itself (eg. 14.8.1). iOS15 is shown as a potential upgrade at the bottom. Now, many users will think that it's an actual update that they "have to" install with the badge notification.

Reactions: Starfia

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Maybe not officially, but I’m sure a significant number of Apple staff read these forums. If not, they are missing out on a large source of user feedback
Definitely not the engineers or decision makers. I mean Apple even censored their own forums. That shows how they "listen" to customers. It might not be the company's intention, but whoever is in charge definitely doesn't put too much attention on actual user issues until it was too late.

Apple even put shorter coverage on their repair programs now (only 2 years, which is basically just what their own Applecare covers), meaning more users will be forced to upgrade or pay expensive repairs.

halfway2anywhere

Suspended
Nov 4, 2021
I don’t understand people like this. Are you planning on staying on iOS 14 forever? You know eventually you’re going to end up on the latest iOS version, whether it be app compatibility or a phone upgrade that gets you there. Seems like it’s better to just get over it and start getting accustomed to it now.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I don’t understand people like this. Are you planning on staying on iOS 14 forever? You know eventually you’re going to end up on the latest iOS version, whether it be app compatibility or a phone upgrade that gets you there. Seems like it’s better to just get over it and start getting accustomed to it now.
I'm staying on iOS 14. That's why I bought AirPods Pros instead of 3rd Gen AirPods.

iOS 14 just works flawlessly for me and I don't wanna ruin it.

VividHuman

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2021
iOS 15 works just fine as well. Yes there were a few bugs but they got solved in 15.1. If you buy a new iPad or Mac or other apple device those will come with the latest software be it iOS 15 or 16, which will cause a significant software gap between your device eventually. Does it take some time getting used to? Yes, but you will get used to the new features.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
iOS 15 works just fine as well. Yes there were a few bugs but they got solved in 15.1. If you buy a new iPad or Mac or other apple device those will come with the latest software be it iOS 15 or 16, which will cause a significant software gap between your device eventually. Does it take some time getting used to? Yes, but you will get used to the new features.
I'm not against iOS 15's new features and stuff. That's not the issue. I just don't want a buggy iPhone when it's working perfectly right now.

They optimize and fix bugs for the entire iOS major version, and just when it's pretty efficient and bug free, they slap you with a pile of crap and repeat the process all over again. I'm just sick of that cycle.

Yes, I know eventually I'll need to have iOS 15 or later when I get new hardware, but I don't have new hardware, so why update? I still get the security patches for iOS 14. I still have a fast OS with little to no bugs (for me).

I'm also not a huge fan of the new look of the notification bubbles in iOS 15, they just look rudimentary to me, almost childish with the giant icons that are centered vertically inside the bubble. It's just off putting to me, but that's not really that big of an issue.

Reactions: marksjc

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Good grief. They're continuing to support iOS 14 with updates and letting users like yourself stay on it if that's what you want. There's a reminder that iOS 15 is available. Oh the horror.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.