Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I don’t understand people like this. Are you planning on staying on iOS 14 forever?

Well some of us have our reasons,

here are a few . . .

1) I am on iOS 13 on most of my iOS devices (several iPads, several iPhones) - these have (Paid) apps that stop functioning at iOS 14 and right now they work fine and are important apps for me - upgrading means I will have to find replacement apps that do the same thing

2) My past experience is that each major upgrade impacts the hardware performance and results in slower iPhone performance and/or throttling - often without the option to "turn off" these features that slow down the older hardware "for the users protection"

I used to be an early adopter of apple products and OS upgrades - now i am - "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it"

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Turn off automatic updates, then you won’t worry about it automatically downloading!
I've done that, but it doesn't stop the iPhone from warning you that your iOS is out of date and putting a red badge on your icon that you have to stare at all the time because Apple wants you to feel outdated and old.

VividHuman

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2021
I'm not against iOS 15's new features and stuff. That's not the issue. I just don't want a buggy iPhone when it's working perfectly right now.

They optimize and fix bugs for the entire iOS major version, and just when it's pretty efficient and bug free, they slap you with a pile of crap and repeat the process all over again. I'm just sick of that cycle.

Yes, I know eventually I'll need to have iOS 15 or later when I get new hardware, but I don't have new hardware, so why update? I still get the security patches for iOS 14. I still have a fast OS with little to no bugs (for me).

I'm also not a huge fan of the new look of the notification bubbles in iOS 15, they just look rudimentary to me, almost childish with the giant icons that are centered vertically inside the bubble. It's just off putting to me, but that's not really that big of an issue.
I guess I kind of digressed with the new features towards the end, but with the bugs you can wait till the x.1 release if they bother you that much and that way you don't have to deal with the bugs each year.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
I have 14.8.1, I have no reason to install 15.x, and I have no red marker on my Settings icon.

More than once I've wished I still had my X, then I'd still have iOS 12.

• Haha
Reactions: Sikh

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
I don’t understand people like this.
And I don't understand people who blindly install software just because the version number is higher.

There's nothing in iOS 15 worth bothering with, so right now the driver is going to be security updates. If iOS 14 ends up with a vuln that Apple doesn't fix there, and does fix in iOS 15, might install iOS 15.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Welcome to why I'm on 13.3 jailbroken. I can't stand forced updates. Especially when every time I've updated, it's broken something for me.

Reactions: marksjc

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA

here are a few . . .

1) I am on iOS 13 on most of my iOS devices (several iPads, several iPhones) - these have (Paid) apps that stop functioning at iOS 14 and right now they work fine and are important apps for me - upgrading means I will have to find replacement apps that do the same thing

2) My past experience is that each major upgrade impacts the hardware performance and results in slower iPhone performance and/or throttling - often without the option to "turn off" these features that slow down the older hardware "for the users protection"

I used to be an early adopter of apple products and OS upgrades - now i am - "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it"
What apps do you use that don't work on iOS 15?

Reactions: Sikh and ErikGrim

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I've done that, but it doesn't stop the iPhone from warning you that your iOS is out of date and putting a red badge on your icon that you have to stare at all the time because Apple wants you to feel outdated and old.
back-in-the-day, the way to hide the badge and prompt to update iOS was to install the tvOS beta profile...

I don't know if this still works, but you can give it a try.

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
I'm just annoyed.

I got the notification badge to go away but I had to start downloading the update, then delete it before it finished. Now the badge is gone, but now I'm afraid that since I started it, it will stealthily download in the background and install it when I'm not looking.
Go to iPhone Storage settings and look for iOS System Update or something like that click on it and delete what's inside do that every time your get badge.

nintendoswitch

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2021
And I don't understand people who blindly install software just because the version number is higher.

There's nothing in iOS 15 worth bothering with, so right now the driver is going to be security updates. If iOS 14 ends up with a vuln that Apple doesn't fix there, and does fix in iOS 15, might install iOS 15.
That felt directed at me Lol

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
15 is not that bad, the 15.1 update solved many issues as far a video play back stutter.
those 3 dots are punishment for us being a human in 2021 using an iPod
as the notch in those new macbooks pros
iOS 15 is okay, but iPadOS 15 is terrible.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Maybe not officially, but I’m sure a significant number of Apple staff read these forums. If not, they are missing out on a large source of user feedback
In the same way public transit misses a lot of user feedback from the naked guy scat singing through a rendition of “Burning Down the House” at the back of the bus.

• Haha
Reactions: Sikh and pianostar9

pianostar9

macrumors regular
Possible solutions to get rid of badges, pick your favorite:

* iOS 14.5 - 14.8: Update to the security update 14.8.1, iOS 15 is optional anyway.
* iOS 14.5.1 or below: Jailbreak your device; there's tweaks to make your phone pretend there's no newer updates
* iOS 14.0 or above: Move Settings to the App Library and create a shortcut for it. (Least preferable solution)

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
I'm just annoyed.

I got the notification badge to go away but I had to start downloading the update, then delete it before it finished. Now the badge is gone, but now I'm afraid that since I started it, it will stealthily download in the background and install it when I'm not looking.
Keep looking at it then. Don’t let it sneak up on you.

• Haha
Reactions: pianostar9

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I suspect that Apple see this issue as:

Now that now their user base is so big, a %age of their users will always complain and don’t want to move forward as they are truculent & conservative.

And not as - as I would contend - that many people don’t want to move forward as they see a new version of iOS or MacOS as not the exciting thing that it used to be - ie that it would massively improve our existing hardware - but instead full of buggy & unoptimised new features that drag the rest of the OS down with them.

Full disclosure: I did move to iOS 15.1 but I’m half regretting it. I wish I had held off until 15 really seemed to be complete and had shrugged off that ‘mostly stable late beta’ feeling.

Reactions: marksjc

halfway2anywhere

Suspended
Nov 4, 2021

here are a few . . .

And you're both never going to buy a new phone for the rest of your lives i guess

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
And you're both never going to buy a new phone for the rest of your lives i guess
Just hoping that by then, the OS has matured and has become relatively bug-free.

Plus, in my past experience, I've learned that the OS your device shipped with, is truly the best OS for that device. It's the fastest and most stable OS you can have on it.

It's not as bad now as it once was because even 4 year old iPhones are still pretty fast even on the latest iOS, but they're still not QUITE as good as leaving the OS it shipped with on it.

• Haha
Reactions: Sikh and mikzn

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I'm not against iOS 15's new features and stuff. That's not the issue. I just don't want a buggy iPhone when it's working perfectly right now.

They optimize and fix bugs for the entire iOS major version, and just when it's pretty efficient and bug free, they slap you with a pile of crap and repeat the process all over again. I'm just sick of that cycle.
Aye. Lots of times I wish they'd release 2 different updates: one that's just bug fixes, and one that's bug fix and new bugs features. I know which update I'd get.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Gosh I wish there was a way to remove the stupid badge on my Settings app that is reminding me to download and install iOS 15. I DON'T WANT IT APPLE!

Keep that garbage off my device.

I feel like they're gonna nag me until I eventually cave.
They will make you take it eventually. They will ram CSAM and all that good stuff up your port and probe all your insides -- on device, of course.

• Haha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.