Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

bedouin

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
What does your /etc/apt/sources.list file look like, and what errors are you getting?

Are you trying to run Debian 11 Sid or Debian 10 Buster?

Based on the image I downloaded, which seems to be for 10, I suppose I'm trying to get Buster working. Should I go for sid instead?

The problem is occurring during installation when the archive mirror should be entered. The installer isn't finding what it needs, even though I've quadruple checked what I've entered.

I went ahead with the bare bones install, edited the sources.list as instructed in the original post, and then attempted to run apt-get update, but of course it can't verify the GPG keys.

EDIT: I'm downloading the sid installer now and hoping it goes better.

bedouin

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
I grabbed the sid image and I'm having the same issue.

"The installer failed to access the mirror. This may be a problem with your network or the mirror."

All is entered correctly.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Based on the image I downloaded, which seems to be for 10, I suppose I'm trying to get Buster working. Should I go for sid instead?

The problem is occurring during installation when the archive mirror should be entered. The installer isn't finding what it needs, even though I've quadruple checked what I've entered.

I went ahead with the bare bones install, edited the sources.list as instructed in the original post, and then attempted to run apt-get update, but of course it can't verify the GPG keys.

EDIT: I'm downloading the sid installer now and hoping it goes better.

As per the Installation Guide for Debian 10 in Post #1, you need to download the debian-ports-archive-keyring .deb on another computer, move it to a USB drive, then input the listed commands to install it. That takes care of the GPG errors, and will allow you to use APT normally.

I can offer little support for Sid as it's extremely unstable / unpredictable at this stage, nor do I have currently have any Sid systems to test with.

bedouin

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
I didn't actually see the other guide until now. Thanks. I think it will get me on the right track.

Reactions: z970

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
Hello everyone,

I have to thank you guys for setting up this very informative web page. Today I was able to install a basic unstable environment on my PowerBook G4 aluminium, a small laptop that once belonged to a family member. I am very acquainted with installing Linux on PPC Macs as I used to maintain a dedicated website for this. I am also the developer behind MintPPC. What I try to achieve now is to get a running Debian unstable environment with a LXDE desktop and to then see whether I will be able to make the standard LXDE look a bit like Linux Mint.

Instead of installing the yaboot in the installer, you can also fire up the USB again and do a rescue32 in my case for G4. You will be able to install the yaboot bootloader in the rescue mode.

Regards,
Jeroen Diederen

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Installing Debian Sid on PowerPC Macs - Updated: July 30, 2019

1. Download the newest netinstall CD image from:

(http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/)

So confusing......

First the image in http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/10.0/ does not contain Grub, only yaboot, and can only be booted from a CD, not a USB stick.

The daily builds, some seem to contain a powerpc.elf in the /boot/grub folder, but they fail to boot after grub loads the kernel and ram disk, they just return to the OF command prompt.

Anyone have a working install on a G5 Quad?

I did get it installed from one of the daily builds, but apt is hopelessly broken, keeps blathering on about not being able to install basic packages like VLC because "I have held broken packages".

I know others have been able to get this working, so my question is, what image did you download, not the name of the image, as they all have the same name, please a direct link to a working image?

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
So confusing......

First the image in http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/10.0/ does not contain Grub, only yaboot, and can only be booted from a CD, not a USB stick.

The daily builds, some seem to contain a powerpc.elf in the /boot/grub folder, but they fail to boot after grub loads the kernel and ram disk, they just return to the OF command prompt.

Anyone have a working install on a G5 Quad?

I did get it installed from one of the daily builds, but apt is hopelessly broken, keeps blathering on about not being able to install basic packages like VLC because "I have held broken packages".

I know others have been able to get this working, so my question is, what image did you download, not the name of the image, as they all have the same name, please a direct link to a working image?
I used the april 9 2019 installer and yes, when you do the installation it fails as fuse is broken. You will have to manually fix that later. You will also have to install the yaboot bootloader later, this can be done in rescue mode.I was able to boot that image from USB. You have to dd the iso to the USB and boot from open firmware, see internet.

Last edited:

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
I used the april 9 2019 installer and yes, when you do the installation it fails as fuse is broken. You will have to manually fix that later. You will also have to install the yaboot bootloader later, this can be done in rescue mode.I was able to boot that image from USB. You have to dd the iso to the USB and boot from open firmware, see internet.
Thanks, could you add a little more detail, I know how to install yaboot from rescue mode, but what do you mean by " fuse is broken" and how do I go about fixing it?

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
Hello everyone,

I have to thank you guys for setting up this very informative web page. Today I was able to install a basic unstable environment on my PowerBook G4 aluminium, a small laptop that once belonged to a family member. I am very acquainted with installing Linux on PPC Macs as I used to maintain a dedicated website for this. I am also the developer behind MintPPC. What I try to achieve now is to get a running Debian unstable environment with a LXDE desktop and to then see whether I will be able to make the standard LXDE look a bit like Linux Mint.

Instead of installing the yaboot in the installer, you can also fire up the USB again and do a rescue32 in my case for G4. You will be able to install the yaboot bootloader in the rescue mode.

Regards,
Jeroen Diederen

Hello Jeroen and welcome to the forum! I'd like to thank you for MintPPC, that accounts for most of my experience with Linux. You did good work there, it's a shame your project didn't get more traction.

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
Thanks, could you add a little more detail, I know how to install yaboot from rescue mode, but what do you mean by " fuse is broken" and how do I go about fixing it?

Well, let the installer finish the installation. It will stop installing further packages as fuse is broken.

When you are finally able to boot into your newly installed sid environment, it's time to fix fuse. I found out that there are several bug reports for the same problem I encountered with said package.

The solution can be found here:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=935885

You then install fuse again
sudo apt install fuse

After that you will be able to install more packages as your system is then not broken anymore.

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
I attached a picture of my running system.

Attachments

• 2019-08-31-174833_1024x768_scrot.png
    2019-08-31-174833_1024x768_scrot.png
    115.5 KB · Views: 248

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan

You can always use the May 2018 mini iso (the best working iso, IMO, with yaboot as default) to install a bare minimum system, but you'll have to find a way to get the Debian Ports keyring to the install. I used scp from my iBook to my Macbook Pro to move it over and install it. There are other prior steps that also need to be taken, such as installing sudo from the mini iso, then commenting out the CD in sources. Install the keyring, add the Buster ports sources, add the Debian non-free repos with arch=all (for non-free drivers, obviously; just ftp.debian.org/debian), update, boom.

I also added the Fienix repos for Arctic Fox, Spiderweb, and Spidermail installs, rather than run them from the tarball archives.

BTW, welcome to the forum! I'm yet another past user of MintPPC, and learned a lot from your work. I also contributed a bit to the old forum (put together a OldWorld self-boot CD for the version of MintPPC based on Wheezy using another's work, and a how-to for compiling Midori).

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I also added the Fienix repos for Arctic Fox, Spiderweb, and Spidermail installs, rather than run them from the tarball archives.

You don't need to run them from the tarballs. Simply download the archives to the Downloads folder in your home directory, and copy / paste the installer commands from The PowerPC Linux Wiki's Software sector. Then copy / paste its menu entry, and that's all.

No need to fumble with repositories and GPG keys.

Reactions: swamprock

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Well, let the installer finish the installation. It will stop installing further packages as fuse is broken.

When you are finally able to boot into your newly installed sid environment, it's time to fix fuse. I found out that there are several bug reports for the same problem I encountered with said package.

The solution can be found here:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=935885

You then install fuse again
sudo apt install fuse

After that you will be able to install more packages as your system is then not broken anymore.
Hmmmm........

I don't have any held packages, fuse installs correctly.

Would you mind sharing you apt sources.list?

Mine is:
Code:
#

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 10.0 _Sid_ - Unofficial powerpc NETINST 20190716->

deb http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unstable main
deb http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unreleased main
deb http://incoming.ports.debian.org/buildd/ unstable main

deb [ arch=all] http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable main
# Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:
#deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security sid/updates main
# Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:
#deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security sid/updates main

I just get errors when I try apt or aptitude install packages such as VLC because packages it depends on are not in my APT repo:

Code:
sudo aptitude install vlc
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  liba52-0.7.4{a} libaom0{a} libaribb24-0{a} libass9{a} libavcodec58{ab}
  libavformat58{a} libavutil56{a} libbasicusageenvironment1{a} libcddb2{a}
  libchromaprint1{a} libcodec2-0.8.1{a} libdc1394-22{a} libdca0{a}
  libdvbpsi10{a} libebml4v5{a} libfaad2{a} libgme0{a} libgroupsock8{a}
  libgsm1{a} libixml10{a} libkate1{a} liblirc-client0{a} liblivemedia64{a}
  liblua5.2-0{a} libmatroska6v5{a} libmicrodns0{a} libmpcdec6{a}
  libmpeg2-4{a} libmysofa0{a} libnuma1{a} libopenmpt-modplug1{a}
  libopenmpt0{a} libplacebo7{a} libpostproc55{a} libprotobuf-lite17{a}
  libproxy-tools{a} libqt5x11extras5{a} libresid-builder0c2a{a}
  libshine3{a} libsidplay2{a} libsnappy1v5{a} libsoxr0{a}
  libspatialaudio0{a} libspeexdsp1{a} libssh-gcrypt-4{a} libswresample3{a}
  libswscale5{a} libupnp13{a} libusageenvironment3{a} libva-drm2{a}
  libva-wayland2{a} libva-x11-2{a} libva2{a} libvdpau-va-gl1{a}
  libvdpau1{a} libvlc-bin{a} libvlc5{a} libvlccore9{a} libvulkan1{a}
  libx264-155{a} libx265-176{a} libxcb-xv0{a} libxvidcore4{a}
  libzvbi-common{a} libzvbi0{a} mesa-va-drivers{a} mesa-vdpau-drivers{a}
  va-driver-all{a} vdpau-driver-all{a} vlc vlc-bin{a} vlc-data{a}
  vlc-l10n{a} vlc-plugin-base{a} vlc-plugin-notify{a} vlc-plugin-qt{a}
  vlc-plugin-samba{a} vlc-plugin-skins2{a} vlc-plugin-video-output{a}
  vlc-plugin-video-splitter{a} vlc-plugin-visualization{a}
0 packages upgraded, 81 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 36.1 MB of archives. After unpacking 203 MB will be used.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libavcodec58 : Depends: libx265-165 (>= 2.9) which is a virtual package and is not provided by any available package

The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Keep the following packages at their current version:
1)     libavcodec58 [Not Installed]                       
2)     libavformat58 [Not Installed]                     
3)     libchromaprint1 [Not Installed]                   
4)     vlc [Not Installed]                               
5)     vlc-plugin-base [Not Installed]                   
6)     vlc-plugin-video-output [Not Installed]           

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 10.0 _Sid_ - Unofficial powerpc NETINST 20190409-14:00]/ sid main

deb http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unstable main
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

deb http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unreleased main

deb http://incoming.ports.debian.org/buildd/ unstable main

deb [arch=all] http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

deb-src http://packages.linuxmint.com/ cindy main upstream import backport

# This system was installed using small removable media
# (e.g. netinst, live or single CD). The matching "deb cdrom"
# entries were disabled at the end of the installation process.
# For information about how to configure apt package sources,
# see the sources.list(5) manual.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
I made some progress today...

It's looking Mint-y!

Glad to see you are back in the game. Was a huge MintPPC fan back in the day, installed it on many Powermacs, wrote about it for some Linux sites, and even contributed some money towards it. Easiest and best Linux on PowerPC by a landslide. Once installed MintPPC 9 on a 233mhz Bondi Blue iMac and it was perfectly functional, if not downright speedy.

Interested to see your final product.

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
It's looking Mint-y!

Glad to see you are back in the game. Was a huge MintPPC fan back in the day, installed it on many Powermacs, wrote about it for some Linux sites, and even contributed some money towards it. Easiest and best Linux on PowerPC by a landslide. Once installed MintPPC 9 on a 233mhz Bondi Blue iMac and it was perfectly functional, if not downright speedy.

Interested to see your final product.
Nice to hear that you liked MintPPC so much. I really enjoyed making it at that time. I am slowly regaining my knowledge about this subject matter. I haven't touched Linux since 2013 or so. It started again this summer after an installation of Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2 on a reasonably recent Asus Zenbook. I was impressed how well it worked and it is my every day computer now. I then found an old PowerBook in a drawer and thought, what the heck: I am going to try to get a recent version of Linux on it. As I am familiar with Debian/Ubuntu/Mint, it became Debian as I see no other way than Debian sid.
I will keep you updated.

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
I was playing around some time with Debian sid on my PowerBook G4. I got most things working right now, apart from a working browser. The only thing that works a little bit for me is Dillo. What are your thoughts ?

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I was playing around some time with Debian sid on my PowerBook G4. I got most things working right now, apart from a working browser. The only thing that works a little bit for me is Dillo. What are your thoughts ?

How about a more Web-compliant browser, like NetSurf? Super lightweight.

Arctic Fox is pretty light too.

Though I wish Midori and Epiphany worked...

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
I run Arctic Fox under Debian Sid now, the best working browser so far. Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately it is not in the repositories of Debian self, so updating such a program is a pain. Did anyone get to build it in sid ?

NetSurf crashes on my computer all the time, itś not an option for me.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I run Arctic Fox under Debian Sid now, the best working browser so far. Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately it is not in the repositories of Debian self, so updating such a program is a pain. Did anyone get to build it in sid ?

NetSurf crashes on my computer all the time, itś not an option for me.

It's in the Fienix repositories. You can add those, then install Arctic Fox with APT.

Updating is not a pain. If you use the installer in the Wiki's Software sector, all you need to do is save the .bzip2 to your Downloads folder, then copy / paste the Update Arctic Fox command into a terminal. It's all automatic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.