Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smallguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Hi, Ive done a clean install of El Capitan on my Macbook Pro Mid 2014 and I've noticed once I start up my mac and enter in passcode and press enter... That the dock loads straight away and the menu bar at the top goes black for a few seconds then fully loads.

Is this normal?

Thanks

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Hi, Ive done a clean install of El Capitan on my Macbook Pro Mid 2014 and I've noticed once I start up my mac and enter in passcode and press enter... That the dock loads straight away and the menu bar at the top goes black for a few seconds then fully loads.

Is this normal?

Thanks

I noticed similar behaviour on my iMac after 1st boot on El Capitan, my dock didn't pop up until the menu bar appeared though.

smallguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
I noticed similar behaviour on my iMac after 1st boot on El Capitan, my dock didn't pop up until the menu bar appeared though.

Oh well my menu bar is black and then loads but it didn't just happen on the 1st boot

dmnc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
I think it's completely normal. Mine does the same. I believe that the OS loading is slower.

idntknw

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Was wondering the same thing. And my mac mini restarts really slow compared to Yosemite even with a SSD as the start up disk.

Like when I hit restart, my screen will go black then probably 30 secs or so will past till I get the chime.

Last edited:

dmnc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
I also noticed that sometimes restarting takes more time than before.

Who knows...

I have an early 2015 MacBook Air.

smallguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
I can verify, this also happens to me. (also did with yosemite btw).

Well it's just the menu bar once I've stated the machine and entered my password to log in. It sometimes take a few seconds to loads fully at the top of the screen.

Any reasons or is this normal?

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
Was wondering the same thing. And my mac mini restarts really slow compared to Yosemite even with a SSD as the start up disk.

Like when I hit restart, my screen will go black then probably 30 secs or so will past till I get the chime.

Have you verified that the correct disk is selected in System Preferences >> Startup Disk?

DS

idntknw

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Have you verified that the correct disk is selected in System Preferences >> Startup Disk?

DS
I only have one disk listed but what is strange is that I can select that disk and restart, it restarts normally. But when I restart from the apple menu, the screen goes dark then like I said its about 30 seconds before the chime.

And when I shutdown, the screen goes black but the light on the mini stays one for about 30 seconds.

It never behaved like this before the upgrade.

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
I only have one disk listed but what is strange is that I can select that disk and restart, it restarts normally. But when I restart from the apple menu, the screen goes dark then like I said its about 30 seconds before the chime.

And when I shutdown, the screen goes black but the light on the mini stays one for about 30 seconds.

It never behaved like this before the upgrade.

When you do a cold boot (from power off) do you get the 30 second delay?

Doing a Restart from the apple menu is a shutdown followed by a re-boot. Maybe the delay is in the shutdown part of the Restart process. How long does Shut Down take?

DS

idntknw

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
When you do a cold boot (from power off) do you get the 30 second delay?

Doing a Restart from the apple menu is a shutdown followed by a re-boot. Maybe the delay is in the shutdown part of the Restart process. How long does Shut Down take?

DS

No I don't get the delay from a cold boot. If I do a shutdown from the apple menu, the screen goes black, then the light stays on the mini for a about 30 secs then goes out.

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
No I don't get the delay from a cold boot. If I do a shutdown from the apple menu, the screen goes black, then the light stays on the mini for a about 30 secs then goes out.

This means the Restart delay is actually the shutdown part. This can be caused by some application or background task that refuses to stop. Eventually the OS will kill it and finish the shutdown.

DS

smallguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
So is my problem normal to all users then? When logged in the dock loads fine and menu bar is black for a while then loads at the top?

Alien009

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2014
pune
The same thing is happening with my macbook air 2015. Menu bar takes a while to load. I hope it will get fixed in next incremental update.

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2015
Same issue here, black bar for couple seconds. Never saw this with OS X Mavericks.

smallguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Any ideas guys? I barely have anything on my admin account (only account on the mac) and I did a test account with a password too and it loaded perfectly... Apple told me to do this

It still has a delay on my normal account but the test one was fine.

Last edited:

smallguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Thoughts?
Cheers

Any ideas guys? I barely have anything on my admin account (only account on the mac) and I did a test account with a password too and it loaded perfectly... Apple told me to do this

It still has a delay on my normal account but the test one was fine.

Last edited:

thewhyofbladez

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2015
Wisconsin
Mine has been doing the exact same thing. It worried me, but it's at somewhat relaxing to know I'm not alone in that. It didn't happen when I first updated the system to El Capitan, but ever since Apple's last upgrade to the system.

In addition, to get off topic. In my finder, I have it set to show things from their last open date, but ever since updating to the last, it only does so for files I saved from before upgrading.

Other than that, my computer's been running pretty normally as before. At least since I upgraded my dying RAM.

Sabretooth78

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
Western NY
Mine tends to show up in the order:
  1. Desktop background and dock
  2. Blank menu bar
  3. Clock and "default" right side menu bar items (i.e. Volume, Time Machine, Battery, etc.)
  4. Left side menus
  5. Desktop icons
  6. Custom right side menu bar "minuets" (in my case, Amphetamine, gfxcardstatus, etc.)
Usually it goes from 1-5 in a couple of seconds - fast, but slow enough that you can order it. The wild card is 6, sometimes they show up nearly instantaneous with 3, other times it might take 10 seconds. For what it's worth, I noticed this in Mavericks as well - so it's probably not much to worry about. I would expect that it's commensurate with how much you're telling the OS to load - the size of your user library, login items, etc. I did notice (as would be expected) that it sped up after I had added RAM (8 to 16 GB; in other words it functioned fine before, just better now) and after I moved my user folder back to the SSD.

raab

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
I was playing around with this yesterday after noticing the same thing, however my search didn't seem to bring this thread up so I thought it was just me.

Try logging out of iCloud and see if it happens. I noticed with a fresh account the menu bar loaded fine, so I logged out of iCloud on my main account and the menu bar loaded straight away.

After many, many, time machine restores and ****ing round all of yesterday it doesn't seem to happen anymore, even when I'm logged into iCloud.. no idea what really fixed it

Reactions: Sofad
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.