Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Good morning. I just got my iPhone SE and I must say, I am delighted. Touch ID is so much better than Face ID, especially for these times. And you can't beat the price!

When Apple wins, they win by a mile!

Sword86

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
I also took possession of an SE last week. Great phone. Traded in my 7 and re-bought a Speck Presidio Card case for a 2nd time. Best case I've ever had. It added only $10 + taxes to my phone bill for two years. (128 gig storage) Zero $$$ down.
My bill is now $65/month with 31 gig data. Never give this plan up. S

Reactions: rneglia

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Good morning. I just got my iPhone SE and I must say, I am delighted. Touch ID is so much better than Face ID, especially for these times. And you can't beat the price!

When Apple wins, they win by a mile!
What did you have before the SE?

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
My current 12 is the first time time i've had Face ID and to be honest i much prefer it, the odd occasion i need it and i've got a face mask on is far outweighed by the vast majority of the time i havent and it works fine.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I purchased a used Samsung Galaxy S7 on Swappa and it's a dreadful device.
I also purchased a used Huawei Media pad T3 Android tablet on Swappa and its yucky too
The Galaxy S7 was released early 2016. The iPhone 6s was the newest phone at the time, which wouldn’t give you a great experience nowadays either. Of course the Galaxy S7 isn‘t going to be great. It’s 5 years old now.

And that tablet is also 4 years old now, not to mention being a budget tablet anyway. What did you expect when you bought really old devices?

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Good that you’re enjoying your purchase. Wouldn’t say Touch ID is better, but I can see its convenience when out with a mask on. Punching in my code doesn’t bother me. I would like to see both methods available in future devices though.

Reactions: rneglia

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Good that you’re enjoying your purchase. Wouldn’t say Touch ID is better, but I can see its convenience when out with a mask on. Punching in my code doesn’t bother me. I would like to see both methods available in future devices though.
Good point! Would love to have both. Has anyone tried the 14.5 beta that includes Face ID when wearing a mask?

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I would indeed like both. For me Face ID is less reliant (fails more often in situations where I would expect it to work) and is slower. Touch ID is faster but you know for sure that it would fail in certain cases (when say your fingers are wet because you just washed them or super dry).

I prefer TouchID when:

1. When dark (Face ID fails for me when there are no lights on)
  2. When is on the table and I want to open/read something without having to pick the device up
  3. When outside and wearing a mask
I prefer FaceID when:

1. Browsing in Internet and having to use some passwords/authentication
  2. Using say bank apps and again needing authentication

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The Galaxy S7 was released early 2016. The iPhone 6s was the newest phone at the time, which wouldn’t give you a great experience nowadays either. Of course the Galaxy S7 isn‘t going to be great. It’s 5 years old now.

And that tablet is also 4 years old now, not to mention being a budget tablet anyway. What did you expect when you bought really old devices?

While they may not be great, we have several A9 devices in the house (original SE, iPad 5th gen) and they still perform quite decently.

Meanwhile, I've had to help a coworker transfer photos from his Galaxy S7 a couple years ago and even back then, it felt sluggish. I kept tapping on icons multiple times (and ended up triggering multiple unwanted actions) because the S7 felt so unresponsive.

Reactions: Barbareren and max2

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
While they may not be great, we have several A9 devices in the house (original SE, iPad 5th gen) and they still perform quite decently.

Meanwhile, I've had to help a coworker transfer photos from his Galaxy S7 a couple years ago and even back then, it felt sluggish. I kept tapping on icons multiple times (and ended up triggering multiple unwanted actions) because the S7 felt so unresponsive.

Agree!

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US

The 6s is still supported by iOS 14 and from what I've read, runs perfectly fine. The same can not be said for the S7, which was terrible the day it came out (I was on the test drive program and used it for about a week).

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
  1. When dark (Face ID fails for me when there are no lights on)
This shouldn't be happening 🤔 Always works for me in a pitch black room.

Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 7.12.36 am.png

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Congrats on the Iphone SE OP, its a great, solid phone. Love mine, but using 12 Mini at the moment. Miss Touch ID a lot though, its the best thing since sliced bread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.