Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I've had similar issues needing a couple of tries with FaceID in a dark room. Of course, that's usually when I'm lying in bed so perhaps it's not so much the lighting but rather the angle. In any case, it would be nice if newer devices have both.
Most likely the angle, if half of your face is covered by your pillow Face ID wont work.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I've had similar issues needing a couple of tries with FaceID in a dark room. Of course, that's usually when I'm lying in bed so perhaps it's not so much the lighting but rather the angle. In any case, it would be nice if newer devices have both.
You are right. It might be the angle. That in general is the problem maybe with me because I guess I use it all sort of different angles - both with the phone and the iPad. It has like 30-40 % failure rate. I might also confuse it as I wear glasses but in bed sometimes I am without my prescription glasses as I obviously do not sleep with them. So there might be also that as specific for me.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Congrats on the Iphone SE OP, its a great, solid phone. Love mine, but using 12 Mini at the moment. Miss Touch ID a lot though, its the best thing since sliced bread.

When I have to walk around the office (doing IT stuff), I make sure to bring the SE with me. I once used just the 12 mini (left the SE charging at my desk) and FaceID+mask made it way more inconvenient for opening the password manager, etc.

Most likely the angle, if half of your face is covered by your pillow Face ID wont work.

Face is fully visible. Most likely just the way I'm holding the phone (often around chest area) makes it difficult for the sensors to scan my face. I usually raise it so it's above my face to unlock.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
The 6s is still supported by iOS 14 and from what I've read, runs perfectly fine. The same can not be said for the S7, which was terrible the day it came out (I was on the test drive program and used it for about a week).
What was terrible about it? I had the S7 Edge and I was very happy with it back when it was new. It did eventually become sluggish, but there was nothing wrong with it the first couple of years.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
It did eventually become sluggish
Same old Samsung back then, same old Samsung 2021, nothing has changed. ???

87501FB0-678C-434F-B70D-3BA67A45AEE4.jpeg

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Reactions: Barbareren

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
What was terrible about it? I had the S7 Edge and I was very happy with it back when it was new. It did eventually become sluggish, but there was nothing wrong with it the first couple of years.
I just recall not being happy with performance in general. Scrolling is weird, transitions are abrupt and sometimes choppy. The screen felt too narrow because of the slopes at the edges.

Obviously things have progressed and I always hear about how much better it’s gotten but first, second and third impressions were all not good for me and I heard the same things each time I decided to try it only to be disappointed.

Reactions: LFC2020

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
I picked up an SE 2020 a couple of weeks ago. Touch ID is a breath of fresh air. It’s nice to be able to unlock my phone while it’s still laying flat on the desk.

It’s crazy how the human mind can adapt and adjust. The SE screen was micro to me when I first got it. Now the screen size isn’t so bad and when I go back to use my 11 pro max, it feels like a big slab of glass!

Reactions: rneglia

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
All devices become sluggish with time and new updates. My iPad mini 4 is almost unusable. Obviously Samsung is doing something right because other people have different opinions than you do.
Still seems to be doing the job for a 6 year old device. ?

Are android tablets even supported for that long? ?

Seems to be running just fine considering it’s 6 years old.

Reactions: Barbareren

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I picked up an SE 2020 a couple of weeks ago. Touch ID is a breath of fresh air. It’s nice to be able to unlock my phone while it’s still laying flat on the desk.

It’s crazy how the human mind can adapt and adjust. The SE screen was micro to me when I first got it. Now the screen size isn’t so bad and when I go back to use my 11 pro max, it feels like a big slab of glass!
A lot of people convince themselves that they have to have a large phone screen. You may have been in that camp and now, you realize that that wasn't necessarily true. As you aptly said, it is crazy how the human mind can adapt and adjust.

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
A lot of people convince themselves that they have to have a large phone screen. You may have been in that camp and now, you realize that that wasn't necessarily true. As you aptly said, it is crazy how the human mind can adapt and adjust.
I still prefer a larger screen. Even though the SE screen doesn’t seem as small as when I first started using it, it’s still smaller than my liking. I was just amazed at how huge the 11 pro max screen seemed after not using it for a couple of weeks.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Still seems to be doing the job for a 6 year old device. ?

Are android tablets even supported for that long? ?

Seems to be running just fine considering it’s 6 years old.

So you don’t have one but you’re going to tell me how it performs? Okay. Thanks for wasting my time.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
So you don’t have one but you’re going to tell me how it performs? Okay. Thanks for wasting my time.
Seems like you're expecting miracles out of a 6 year old device. time for a upgrade, or move to android and get limited software support.

Apple support these devices for 5-6 years and people still ain't happy. ?‍♂️

Reactions: snipr125

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

And I wonder if you've used Android tablets of the same vintage to be able to say they're better.

From experience with Nexus, Asus and Toshiba Android tablets, they're worse. We still have an Air 2 in the household in active use and a backup Air that remains serviceable. Meanwhile, the Android tablets have all been languishing in a drawer.

OriginalSlim

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2021
I was really tempted to upgrade to the newer SE from my original. Truth is tho,one of the main points for me was size. I loved the smaller size of my 1st gen SE. I was excited to see the new SE introduced,but was sooooo disappointed to see the increased size. I'm actually not sure whether or not I'll upgrade. Sounds petty I know...but still

jakja83

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2010
I was really tempted to upgrade to the newer SE from my original. Truth is tho,one of the main points for me was size. I loved the smaller size of my 1st gen SE. I was excited to see the new SE introduced,but was sooooo disappointed to see the increased size. I'm actually not sure whether or not I'll upgrade. Sounds petty I know...but still
Aside from price - 12 mini is the closest SE1-successor. It is a good gap-bridger between 2021 needs for screen size and portability.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
And I wonder if you've used Android tablets of the same vintage to be able to say they're better.

From experience with Nexus, Asus and Toshiba Android tablets, they're worse. We still have an Air 2 in the household in active use and a backup Air that remains serviceable. Meanwhile, the Android tablets have all been languishing in a drawer.
Wait where did I ever say Android was better?

OriginalSlim

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2021
Aside from price - 12 mini is the closest SE1-successor. It is a good gap-bridger between 2021 needs for screen size and portability.
If I had an extra $400+, I might consider it. I was thinking maybe a "renewed 5s",but doing that could be pretty risky for a phone that is getting aged. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: rneglia

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
I seriously considered the 12 mini instead of the SE 2020, but the $450 price difference (not to mention AppleCare+ is twice as much for the 12 mini) pushed me to the SE. I do really miss the form factor and angled sides of the 5/5s/SE that the mini also offers.

I'll probably end up with the iPhone 13 mini (if they even make one).

jakja83

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2010
I seriously considered the 12 mini instead of the SE 2020, but the $450 price difference (not to mention AppleCare+ is twice as much for the 12 mini) pushed me to the SE. I do really miss the form factor and angled sides of the 5/5s/SE that the mini also offers.

I'll probably end up with the iPhone 13 mini (if they even make one).
I have the 12 mini, but I am seriously considering reverting back to the 2016 SE - I have a 5S as my secondary device and I really like the size. My main usage in a phone is messages, calls and music - and you do not need more than the SE for that. I really hope it will receive IOS15, but doubt it.

Last edited:
Reactions: subjonas

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
I have the 12 mini, but I am seriously considering reverting back to the 2016 SE - I have a 5S as my secondary device and I really like the size. My main usage in a phone is messages, calls and music - and you do not need more than the SE for that. I really hope it will receive IOS15, but doubt it.
I think you'll be frustrated by the 2016 SE. Mine got super draggy on me. Also, if it matters, the water resistance is essentially nil.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014

I think you'll be frustrated by the 2016 SE. Mine got super draggy on me. Also, if it matters, the water resistance is essentially nil.
I’m still using my SE1, on the most current iOS, and it works great. I haven’t noticed any slow down from when it was new, but my battery life did deteriorate. I need to replace the battery, but in the meantime I recently switched to another brand new SE1 that I was keeping as a backup. Battery life and performance is perfectly fine.

True one-handed use is important to me so I plan on continuing to use the SE1 even if it stays on iOS 14, since Apple will likely continue to release security updates for truly serious threats, until it is no longer functional or fixable for whatever reason, or if there is a new feature(s) that I consider must have.

Reactions: jakja83

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I’m still using my SE1, on the most current iOS, and it works great. I haven’t noticed any slow down from when it was new, but my battery life did deteriorate. I need to replace the battery, but in the meantime I recently switched to another brand new SE1 that I was keeping as a backup. Battery life and performance is perfectly fine.

True one-handed use is important to me so I plan on continuing to use the SE1 even if it stays on iOS 14, since Apple will likely continue to release security updates for truly serious threats, until it is no longer functional or fixable for whatever reason, or if there is a new feature(s) that I consider must have.
Given the age of the battery, it may not last as long.

I too am still on an SE1, but I'm starting to notice the display is not as good anymore, and it causes eye strain.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Given the age of the battery, it may not last as long.

I too am still on an SE1, but I'm starting to notice the display is not as good anymore, and it causes eye strain.
Hmm we’ll have to see about the battery. But I so strongly prefer small phones that I’d be willing to continue replacing the battery in my SE1 even if it’s yearly or every 6 months, as long as it stays at around $50 or under per replacement. Ideally, I could buy the battery for a few bucks and do it myself, but unfortunately Apple doesn’t make oem batteries easy to get, nor did they design the battery to be easily replaceable. Ugh, battery degradation is really the bane of personal electronics. It’s a shame there hasn’t seemed to be much improvement on that front for so long. But then all these companies depending on people replacing their batteries and even their entire device as often as possible probably don’t have much financial motivation for battery R&D.

That’s strange about the display issues. I haven’t noticed that at all on either of mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.