Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Thats wonderful. Nice
What was the base for the discount?

I just placed an order through chat. They set up the order and sent me an email with a link to complete payment. The 20% off was applied, and the order total was $2,559.99 before tax.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
I just placed an order through chat. They set up the order and sent me an email with a link to complete payment. The 20% off was applied, and the order total was $2,559.99 before tax.
What's the delivery date? Looking forward to hearing whether MacOS supports 6144x3456, and how "heavy" the matte finish is.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I understand the math, I wasn't asking about that. What I meant was - how come that you got 20% off? What was the reason behind it?
When the sales rep sent me the quote the discount was included. I didn't ask for it, and I was surprised because I wasn't expecting it.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
What's the delivery date? Looking forward to hearing whether MacOS supports 6144x3456, and how "heavy" the matte finish is.
It lists tomorrow as the ship date and Monday as the delivery date.
Wow! Please keep us informed as to how you find it! What Mac will you be using it with?
I have an M1 14" MacBook Pro, a 2019 MacBook Pro for work, and a custom gaming PC with RX 7900 XTX.

Reactions: theorist9

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Maybe its because they have similar discount on other products so maybe thats why? I wonder if others will get the same.

And yes, please keep us posted next week. I'm super curious about the compatibility with Mac :)

When the sales rep sent me the quote the discount was included. I didn't ask for it, and I was surprised because I wasn't expecting it.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
It lists tomorrow as the ship date and Monday as the delivery date.

I have an M1 14" MacBook Pro, a 2019 MacBook Pro for work, and a custom gaming PC with RX 7900 XTX.
Very curious to know how well the U3224KB works with the 2019 16" Intel MacBook Pro. In particular whether it can actually support the full 6K resolution with HDR and 10-bit color at 60 Hz when connected by Thunderbolt and whether the monitor ports can operate at full USB 3 speeds for full hub functionality. Please keep us informed.

caoziwen

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2023
Purchased with 20%off (public promotion) + 10% dell new user discount + 15% Rakuten cashback +10% Amex Biz dell offer.

And amex biz platinum member can also use 200USD cashback(which I have already used)

some people has 20% off from amex biz offer and they could get even more dollars off

2431.99 Before Tax and cashback, after sinful california sales tax and rakuten cashback and amex dell offer, it should come down to 2659.91*75% = 1995USD. One third of price comparing to XDR. hopefully I will get the money back

1683768862001.png

1683784988213.png
1683824750050.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Freida

enc0re

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
I signed up for a Dell account to buy this monitor. What should I have done to get the new user discount?

LucasKun

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2023
Though I personally prefer glossy screens for desktops because I can control the light in my room, and glossy screens have sharper text and avoid the "snowfield" effect. Hopefully the Dell will use a very light matte finish.
Precisely this, I've never heard the matte effect described so well as your "snowfield" comment. Just plain white has this subtle colorful carpet on it, small amounts of different colors being refracted. Of course this is the direct effect of the coating, it's the surface roughness itself which causes a random refraction of rays. It also causes a different pattern as a function of viewing angle, which causes each eye to see something slightly different. This makes it harder for the eye/brain to exactly focus and contributes to slight fatigue. Matte is about the right balance of diffusing outside reflections without losing the microcontrast of the pixels directly below the coating. It's not an easy game. What we don't know is to what degree the internal development team inside Dell takes this into account as a function of PPI. I really hope they took special care of this 6K screen.

The 220 PPI glossy screens on Mac Book Pro is just amazing for text, so sharp, so kind on the eyes (in absence of reflections). That is partly due to the high PPI, partly due to the absence of matte diffusing light locally and losing microcontrast. It's precisely this experience I'm looking forward to on U3224KB. With it's fantastic PPI it should deliver, provided the matte is "light" enough to prevent the "snowfield effect" from ruining it.

Currently I see no other 31.5 inch option, the XDR is ridiculously expensive, and the connectivity is BS. I want dual use with a M2 Pro Mac Mini and my laptop from work. The connectivity of the Dell with both HDMI/TB4/mDP and all the USB + network, with KVM included, is miles and miles ahead of XDR.

So please share links here for in-depth reviews describing the matte strength and perceived sharpness!

Reactions: theorist9

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
The reviews are as expected for a high PPI IPS monitor. I feel like most reviewers -- or most people for that matter -- don't understand that some of us want a high PPI display for text clarity and don't care about refresh rate or pixel response time or lack of 6K video content.

My only concerns are excessive backlight bleed and the quality of the matte display. I purchased a UP3218K that had a poor glossy display, so I'd rather have a matte anyway unless Dell is able to improve their version of glossy. It was horrible compared to Apple's glossy screens. I could see my reflection in the UP3218K when sitting in a completely dark room, but that isn't the case with Apple displays. I returned it for that reason.
Monitor now listing at MSRP $3,199. Was yesterday a pricing mistake?
It's hard to know with Dell. Their discounts come and go frequently, so it's possible it will return soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.