Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Hi, like some others here, I've recently decided to buy this monitor. Some things took me completely by surprise, though, as I don't recall them being mentioned here…

Hey I know you’ve gotten a few replies already but I also wanted to chime in. I keep my brightness at 90-100% because I have a lot of windows in my office and enjoy a brightly lit workspace. I’ve never noticed the heat before.

I had the opposite problem with HDR though, funny enough. Since I keep my brightness so high, it actually gets dim when I enable HDR.

I’ve had no issue with my speakers and I’ve had no weird green screen.

Some of that could be a software bug mayyybe but ALL those issues together?? Hit up Dell for a warranty replacement. My monitor has been perfect so far and I’m really happy with the performance. My only issue is the matte screen… but that’s personal preference.

Thyme

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2023
Can 16" M1 MBP/16gb memory drive this monitor well? Or do i need to upgrade to M3?
I have the same machine as my work laptop, and it works just fine with macOS 14.1 or later. Pre 14.1, there was a slight limitation when connecting via Thunderbolt but Apple fixed that in 14.1.

Reactions: pugxiwawa

alexjsp

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2023
Scotland
FYI - A firmware update was posted yesterday for version M2T104. Here's the fixes/enhancements:
  • Improved codec error recovery to fix audio codec hang up
  • Fixed webcam video stream intermittently not received by Host
I was having webcam glitches on Zoom meetings, so I certainly hope this fixes the problem.
@PixelsForBreakfast What glitches were you seeing, and did the firmware help?

I have single frame glitching that occurs a good few times over a 30 mins period, sometimes as often as a few times in a few seconds. Looks like this:

Camera Glitch Short.2023-12-22 12_49_22.gif

I'm not sure if it's a hardware issue or a macOS issue. I really don't want to have to try and get it replaced.

Reactions: rb2112

nikosl7

macrumors member
May 31, 2016
Mac issue. Happens to me with Logitech brio camera.

One of the many minor annoying bugs of M processors.

Took Apple 3 years to fix the audio stuttering bug with usb audio. Hopefully they will fix the web camera issue.

Last edited:

dops

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2017
I have gone through almost the complete Thread and read about various issues, some of them having been fixed. For me HDR is not that important and I would definitely connect via TB4, but my question is:

Can this monitor also display HiDPI resolutions (via Thunderbolt) such as

3600 x 2025
3727 x 2097
3840 x 2160

which are possible with the Pro Display XDR in combination with M1 Pro+ (I have a M3 Max) with the help of SwitchResX or BetterDisplay?

For me this is relevant as the x2 HiDPI resolution (default one with best picture quality) is a bit too large for the 32 inch screen estate and I want to have more "space" while still having HiDPI quality.

Thanks!

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
The HDR/resolution issue is resolved in MacOS at this point. No longer the problem it was several months ago. At 2x scaled "default" resolution 3072x1728 you will have HDR available in Sonoma 14.2 when connected by TB4 on an M1P machine. (I run mine on an M1M Studio via TB4 alongs side two ASD).

Some of the resolutions you suggest are not available to me to test for you. I verified that HiDPI is active at 3840x2160. The others b/w default and 3840x2160 are 3200x1800 and 3360x1890 (both of which allow HiDPI). I think what's happening on my end is that BD is filtering out resolutions that don't meet one of more the following criteria - 16:9, 10bit, 60hZ and HiPDI.

Hope that helps.

dops

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2017
Yes that helps a lot, thank you!
How crisp do these resolutions look ans are they usable?
I assume as this is not exactly a factor of the native resolution, the (little) black bars would be visible when using these HiDPI resolutions?

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Yes that helps a lot, thank you!
How crisp do these resolutions look ans are they usable?
I assume as this is not exactly a factor of the native resolution, the (little) black bars would be visible when using these HiDPI resolutions?
Very crisp.

And what (little) black bars? I tested each of the resolutions offered by BetterDisplay drop down and they all look good to me. I like default because those others are too small for my aging eyes! The default provides a ton of screen space.

PixelsForBreakfast

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2016
Sunnyvale, CA

I have single frame glitching that occurs a good few times over a 30 mins period, sometimes as often as a few times in a few seconds. Looks like this:

View attachment 2327830

I'm not sure if it's a hardware issue or a macOS issue. I really don't want to have to try and get it replaced.
Yes, I have that problem too! Glad to know it's not just me. I really don't want to return it either. What program are you using for video conferencing?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

View attachment 2327830

That would drive me insane.

Reine

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2019
I'm considering purchasing this monitor to use with my MP M1 Pro Max, I've read the thread but would appreciate to just hear the general opinion at the moment.

1. Can I control it through macOS like my current LG 5k 27"?
2. Any obvious problems that has not yet been resolved?
3. Is there any visible light bleed from the backlighting?

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
I came across this great review of the Dell 6k vs Dell 8k. It's very informative for me, because it's done from the perspective of someone whose preferences are similar to mine--he prefers glossy screens, and likes really high pixel density.

In summary, he finds:

1) Even though the anti-reflective coating on the glossy Dell 8k isn't very good (it's not as effective at blocking reflections as the coating on his glossy MBA), he still prefers it over the matte finish on the Dell 6K, which he finds causes a loss of vibrancy.

2) He finds the Dell 8k's 280 ppi (which he runs at 3:1 scaling*) is noticeably sharper than the Dell 6k's 223 ppi (which he runs at 2:1 scaling). [2:1 is also the default for Apple's Mac Retina displays, which vary from 218 ppi for the ASD and XDR, to 254 ppi for the MBP's.]

*While some have reported success running the 8k on AS (https://github.com/waydabber/BetterDisplay/discussions/199#discussioncomment-4872932), MacOS doesn't offer 3:1 scaling. So if you wanted to retain integer scaling for maximum sharpness, you'd need to go 2:1, which might cause the UI elements to be be uncomfortably small. They'd be 80% of the size they are on the iMac, ASD and XDR.

Last edited:

alexjsp

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2023
Scotland
Yes, I have that problem too! Glad to know it's not just me. I really don't want to return it either. What program are you using for video conferencing?
@PixelsForBreakfast I mostly use Google Meet in a browser, but it's definitely not app specific; I've seen it in Zoom, and even just in Quicktime recording the webcam directly which is how I've been trying to narrow the issue down.

Took Apple 3 years to fix the audio stuttering bug with usb audio. Hopefully they will fix the web camera issue.
@nikosl7 You've seen the exact same issue as this with a Brio? Connected how?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

I’ve never had that issue with my 4K Brio or Studio Display camera on either an M1 or an M1 Pro.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I came across this great review of the Dell 6k vs Dell 8k. It's very informative for me, because it's done from the perspective of someone whose preferences are similar to mine--he prefers glossy screens, and likes really high pixel density.

In summary, he finds:

1) Even though the anti-reflective coating on the glossy Dell 8k isn't very good (it's not as effective at blocking reflections as the coating on his glossy MBA), he still prefers it over the matte finish on the Dell 6K, which he finds causes a loss of vibrancy.

2) He finds the Dell 8k's 280 ppi (which he runs at 3:1 scaling*) is noticeably sharper than the Dell 6k's 223 ppi (which he runs at 2:1 scaling). [2:1 is also the default for Apple's Mac Retina displays, which vary from 218 ppi for the ASD and XDR, to 254 ppi for the MBP's.]

*While some have reported success running the 8k on AS (https://github.com/waydabber/BetterDisplay/discussions/199#discussioncomment-4872932), MacOS doesn't offer 3:1 scaling. So if you wanted to retain integer scaling for maximum sharpness, you'd need to go 2:1, which might cause the UI elements to be be uncomfortably small. They'd be 80% of the size they are on the iMac, ASD and XDR.

Interesting. Of course there are some issues as well:
- Takes a new and fairly powerful Mac to drive 8K
- If you want multiple monitors including the 8K you need a very powerful Mac
- The monitor is pricey compared to the 6K

nikosl7

macrumors member
May 31, 2016
@nikosl7 You've seen the exact same issue as this with a Brio? Connected how?
Exact same issue, does not matter how it is connected (either directly, or on the Caldigit TS4 hub with various high speed USB-3 cables).

When the memory pressure in the operating systems was high, the video glitches were starting. The remedy for the Brio was to reduce the resolution from 4k to 1080p.

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
I considered the Dell 8k before going with the 6k. I assume that the 8k’s glossy coating is comparable to the old Dell 5K (up2715k), which is what I had been using for years and which the 6k replaced. I would’ve preferred the glossy coating to the 6k’s matte coating, and think the guy’s comments are spot on in terms of losing a bit of pop and vibrancy.

However, based on my experience with the Dell 5K, which also used two cables, I didn’t go with the 8k. The two cables seem to introduced syncing issues when waking the monitor (even if the computer is on and the display is turned off). Sometimes with the 5K I’d have to power cycle the monitor as in unplugging and plugging it back in to get a picture. On my old Intel Macs, the 5K wouldn’t work when cold booting the computer unless one display cable was disconnected.

i don’t know if the 8k suffers from similar problems, but I didn’t want to risk the hassles. The 6k just works with my M2 Pro Mini. Always wakes up when I jiggle the mouse (I leave my Mac on all the time). Never have a problem at startup.

the webcam is crap and I don’t use it, tho.

Reactions: theorist9

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Sometimes with the 5K I’d have to power cycle the monitor as in unplugging and plugging it back in to get a picture.
Yeah, that 8k does seem like it could be finicky to run on a Mac.

But the power cycling, specifically, may be something general to Dells of that era, at least when attached to Macs, rather than something caused by dual cables. I have the same issue with my single-cable 4k Dell P2715Q (though not with my older single-cable WUXGA Dell U2412M).

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeDr206

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
the webcam is crap and I don’t use it, tho.
Just noticed this. That is suprising, and disappointing. One would think the whole point of having such a large and visually intrusive camera was to put function over form and provide enough room for quality optics.

alexjsp

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2023
Scotland
@PixelsForBreakfast I did some playing around and investigating and found something that validate @nikosl7's theory that it's a macOS bug: if I add the camera to OBS Studio and capture it at 4K (3840x2160) then I don't get the flicker (which does give me a workaround of using the OBS Virtual Camera in calls, which is overkill and silly, but does work) but if I capture it at 1080p (1920х1080) I do get the flicker. So it seems to be some aspect of macOS capturing the camera at 1080p only?

EDIT: Nevermind this stopped working and I got the flicker again. WHY IS THIS PROBLEM SO INCONSISTENT?!?

Last edited:

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
FYI, the Dell 6k is down to $2,148 on AZ. That's 33% off the $3,200 retail, and lower than AZ's $2,250 BF pricing. Dell's site continues to list it at 20% off ($2,560).

1703916744569.png

Dark-Signature

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2022
The 6K Dell is certainly good, but I really hope that a glossy version is also coming. The 8K Dell would actually be just right for me, but unfortunately it's just too expensive.

Reactions: MikeDr206
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.