Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dark-Signature

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2022
Displayport and HDMI can do it. But Why would you even market a TB3 monitor these days, when TB4 has been the standard for two years now?
I think that was just a reference to the fact that both thunderbolt 3 and thunderbolt 4 only have a maximum bandwidth of 40Gbps. So it doesn't really matter whether it's TB3 or TB4 when we're talking about 5K/6K at 120hz. Both are simply not enough.

Reactions: smirking

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I came across this great review of the Dell 6k vs Dell 8k. It's very informative for me, because it's done from the perspective of someone whose preferences are similar to mine--he prefers glossy screens, and likes really high pixel density.

In summary, he finds:

1) Even though the anti-reflective coating on the glossy Dell 8k isn't very good (it's not as effective at blocking reflections as the coating on his glossy MBA), he still prefers it over the matte finish on the Dell 6K, which he finds causes a loss of vibrancy.

2) He finds the Dell 8k's 280 ppi (which he runs at 3:1 scaling*) is noticeably sharper than the Dell 6k's 223 ppi (which he runs at 2:1 scaling). [2:1 is also the default for Apple's Mac Retina displays, which vary from 218 ppi for the ASD and XDR, to 254 ppi for the MBP's.]

*While some have reported success running the 8k on AS (https://github.com/waydabber/BetterDisplay/discussions/199#discussioncomment-4872932), MacOS doesn't offer 3:1 scaling. So if you wanted to retain integer scaling for maximum sharpness, you'd need to go 2:1, which might cause the UI elements to be be uncomfortably small. They'd be 80% of the size they are on the iMac, ASD and XDR.

The UI is not small though.

I run 4K UHD HiDPI on my Dell UP3218K with a Mac Studio (M2 Max) and I wouldn't have it any bigger at 32-inches. M2 Pro and higher can run it without issues but it does take up two of your TB4 ports.

8K UHD (7680x4320) at 32-inch with 279 PPI is just really nice and so sharp. Would I like a new version with 120Hz, oh yes...

The best replacement is probably going to be some 42-inch 8K OLED TV at some point though ...

Reactions: Dark-Signature

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
Okay you now both have me intrigued. I've a single TB4 cable plugged into the TB4 connection on the monitor, this goes into a TB4 port on the back of the M2 Mini Pro.

I can post photos if needed.

I'm running at 'native' resolution of 3072 x 1728. The display looks good to me? I have run it at 3840 x 2160 with no issues but then the text is way too small to read.

So are we at crossed wires somewhere, or am I underutilizing the monitor? If I am is there a certain way I should connect it that I've missed?

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Okay you now both have me intrigued. I've a single TB4 cable plugged into the TB4 connection on the monitor, this goes into a TB4 port on the back of the M2 Mini Pro.

I can post photos if needed.

I'm running at 'native' resolution of 3072 x 1728. The display looks good to me? I have run it at 3840 x 2160 with no issues but then the text is way too small to read.

So are we at crossed wires somewhere, or am I underutilizing the monitor? If I am is there a certain way I should connect it that I've missed?
They're talking about the Dell 8K not 6K. 3072 x 1728 is native on 6K.

learjet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2021
A question about the 6k display: Can the MBA M2 natively drive the Dell 6k at its full native resolution, since it has a slightly different resolution (?) compared to the Pro Display XDR?

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
A question about the 6k display: Can the MBA M2 natively drive the Dell 6k at its full native resolution, since it has a slightly different resolution (?) compared to the Pro Display XDR?
Yes. Mine is connected to my M1M Studio but I just tested it with my M2 MBA and it works fine.

Two caveats:
You want to be running the latest Sonoma. Prior MacOS couldn't drive the monitor at full resolution and HDR via TB. It's now plug/play.

Full native resolution is 6144x3456 which will make things very, very small. It's going to default to 2:1 scaled which is 3072x1728 which is how most folks will want to run it. This is the normal MacOS Retina 2:1 thing - just like the ASD and XDR do. If you actually want to run it at "full native" you will need to go in to the advanced display setting and toggle on "Show resolutions as a list", then go to the resolutions and toggle on "show all resolutions".

Long/short - it will work fine on a M2 MBA w/ the latest Sonoma.

nikosl7

macrumors member
May 31, 2016
This is the lowest I have seen before cashback. In Christmas Rakuten also had an extra 20% cash back and Amex another 120$ cash back for dell.com purchase and dell would also gave you another $60 of worth of dell points so you could have it for like $1500 after all the rebates.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm planning to upgrade my Mac to the M3 Max version of the Mac Studio when it comes out, presumably later this year. Since it'll support more than two displays, I'm also strongly considering adding the Dell 6K to go along with my two Studio Displays. I'm glad macOS Sonoma now supports the full native resolution of this display (since it's slightly different than the Apple XDR).

Still somewhat concerned about people's experiences with the camera on it, but I'll at least have the cameras in the Studio Displays in a pinch.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I'm planning to upgrade my Mac to the M3 Max version of the Mac Studio when it comes out, presumably later this year. Since it'll support more than two displays, I'm also strongly considering adding the Dell 6K to go along with my two Studio Displays. I'm glad macOS Sonoma now supports the full native resolution of this display (since it's slightly different than the Apple XDR).

Still somewhat concerned about people's experiences with the camera on it, but I'll at least have the cameras in the Studio Displays in a pinch.
I run 2 ASD and the Dell. It's a nice set-up.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Picture of your setup with some rando screens?

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 3.42.50 PM.png

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Nice. Thanks.

I'll probably put the 6K in the center and the two ASDs in portrait orientation on either side (I've got VESA models).

Does the Dell's webcam work OK for you?
Center - I can see that. I generally run one Safari window in my center display since that's where I am most of the time. I tried the Dell in the center but it made for a lot of wasted screen space. The Dell now has six "tiles" - email, notes, messages, podcasts and weather.

Webcam - I dislike video conferencing very much so I avoid it when possible. I've never actually used the Dell camera for a Zoom or FT but I've tested it to see that it works. To my eye it has a sharper picture than the ASD. The ASD one seems washed out to me and the Dell isn't like that. I think the Dell monitor is designed to be a single, corporate environment solution so it would figure the webcam would be fairly decent.

Dark-Signature

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2022
Webcam - I dislike video conferencing very much so I avoid it when possible. I've never actually used the Dell camera for a Zoom or FT but I've tested it to see that it works. To my eye it has a sharper picture than the ASD. The ASD one seems washed out to me and the Dell isn't like that. I think the Dell monitor is designed to be a single, corporate environment solution so it would figure the webcam would be fairly decent.
How satisfied are you with the matt coating of the Dell compared to the ASDs (which probably have a glossy coating in your case?!)?
Would you like the Dell better in a glossy version?

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I definitely prefer glossy. And the ASD glossy is terrific. If money was no object, I’d have chosen the XDR over the Dell. If there was a 32” version of the ASD, that would be perfect for me.

I’d say I tolerate the matte on the Dell. 32” is worth that concession.

Reactions: Dark-Signature

dkmacuser

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2024
I have owned this monitor for about a month and want to share my experience.

Overall conclusion
I am very happy with it.

Picture
The picture quality is amazing. I had a 27" 4K monitor before (~163 DPI). But the higher DPI (~223) makes a huge difference for me. This is like coming back to my Imac 5k - just in a slightly larger version. I work as a software engineer so I mainly use it for text (code).

Some reviews said the difference between 4K and 6K was negligible. For me it is like night and day - text is a lot sharper with 6K.

With both my MacBook Air (M2) + Macbook Pro (M2) the native resolution and HDR worked out-of-the-box. I am using the TB4 cable from Dell. That being said I do not use it in HDR mode as it seems to dim the overall brightness of the screen.

I did experience the issue with the screen being "half green" after my MacBook Pro (M2) woke from sleep. After disabling "prevent automatic sleeping on power adapter when the display is off" in MacOS settings I have not seen this error again. I might consider buying an active Thunderbolt 4 cable at some point to see if it makes a difference. And for some reason I have never experienced the issue with my Macbook Air (M2).

I did not like the software supplied by Dell. But by using this small frewware program I can control the screen brightness using function keys on the keyboard: https://github.com/MonitorControl/MonitorControl.

Sound
The internal speakers are ok but nothing great. I have a set of Apple HomePods I use, when I want to listen to music. But the internal speakers are fine for youtube and video meetings.

Camera
The camera is way too bright with the default settings. I found a freeware program where you can control the brightness and other settings: https://github.com/Itaybre/CameraController. This helped a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.