Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I didn't re-review the video, but if memory serves me, one of the issues is not the cooler as much as lack of air flow, the air vents in the front and back of the case were not able to move the air in a sufficient manner.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I like Steve (GN) videos more the Linus, but they are longer...
Yeah, that's because he goes indepth and shows what he's doing, so he's just not talking about it and you have to trust his words but he's showing why its so.

Reactions: TopherMan12

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Yeah, that's because he goes indepth and shows what he's doing, so he's just not talking about it and you have to trust his words but he's showing why its so.
Does he always act overly drama'ish with click bait titles?

Had he rationally stated he bought a crappy computer, he expected to receive a crappy computer but it was worse than he expected then I think it would have been fine.. He acted shocked that he got a crappy computer yet that's exactly what he ordered. Playing to the camera for views?

Also, since he is making the claim that it's worse than a Walmart computer (and it very well may be) then he should have had both machines side by side and pointed out the reasons for his basis.

I don't trust or watch YT content creators who need click bait titles and overly dramatize things but hey, maybe that's just me...

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Does he always act overly drama'ish with click bait titles?

Had he rationally stated he bought a crappy computer, he expected to receive a crappy computer but it was worse than he expected then I think it would have been fine.. He acted shocked that he got a crappy computer yet that's exactly what he ordered. Playing to the camera for views?

Also, since is is making the claim that it's worse than a Walmart computer (and it very well may be) then he should have had both machines side by side and pointed out the reasons for his basis.

I don't trust or watch YT content creators who need click bait titles and overly dramatize things but hey, maybe that's just me...
The titles have been more eye catching recently, but I ascribe that to them deciding (having?) to review stuff that is out side their norm. This team usually reviews CPU/GPU/Case/Cooling systems on test benches. But since 50% of the things they normally review are close to unobtanium for their audience they are swinging to other stuff in the interim. Jaytwocents has mentioned this as have other "tech component" reviewers.

I'll admit I loved the reviews of the 30-series Ti cards from them, but clearly I am their target audience. I feel like most of the folk here aren't the type to want to source components to build their own computer (and there is nothing wrong with that).

Reactions: raqball

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
The titles have been more eye catching recently, but I ascribe that to them deciding (having?) to review stuff that is out side their norm. This team usually reviews CPU/GPU/Case/Cooling systems on test benches. But since 50% of the things they normally review are close to unobtanium for their audience they are swinging to other stuff in the interim. Jaytwocents has mentioned this as have other "tech component" reviewers.

I'll admit I loved the reviews of the 30-series Ti cards from them, but clearly I am their target audience. I feel like most of the folk here aren't the type to want to source components to build their own computer (and there is nothing wrong with that).
I don't game on PC and I have no interest in building a gaming PC. Maybe in that regard the man is good. The only videos I have to judge his content on are the ones posted in this thread. Those are dramatized with click bait eye catching titles.

In my opinion a trusted reviewer would have had both machines side by side and showed the reasons for their claim / basis.. He may very well be right but I only have his word to go on unless I want to watch another video, and give him more views. It's also easier to follow the differences in build if both are side by side..

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I don't game on PC and I have no interest in building a gaming PC. Maybe in that regard the man is good. The only videos I have to judge his content on are the ones posted in this thread. Those are dramatized with click bait eye catching titles.

In my opinion a trusted reviewer would have had both machines side by side and showed the reasons for their claim / basis.. He may very well be right but I only have his word to go on unless I want to watch another video, and give him more views. It's also easier to follow the differences in build if both are side by side..
That is fair, I have no clue how long they keep these systems around, but yeah it would have been cool for him to pull the Walmart PC out and do the comparison (or even the iBuyPower unit).

Reactions: raqball

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA

He has bought several PCs in his prebuilt review series. Some are better than others. So no, his intent was not to buy a "crappy computer". As I pointed out before, he says the value of the components are not bad for the price of the PC.

I seriously doubt that Dell advertised the proprietary parts that they used in this PC so how else would anyone know that this computer was "crappy" before ordering it and finding out for themselves?

Maybe by watching tear down reviews like this one? GN is providing a valuable service here to those who could have made the mistake of buying this "crappy computer" when there are better options available.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I also blame Jaytwocents for getting me to break my no water cooling vow...
Yeah's pretty heavy on the water cool, and I saw one or two videos where he was more or less surprised to see how well air cooling can be

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Had he rationally stated he bought a crappy computer,
Are you calling Dell's computers crappy :oops:

As others have stated this was part of a series, much like Linus was doing his secret shopper series. I get that you bought a Dell and don't like the idea of them having a less then ideal reputation but in a sense you seem to be attacking the messenger more then being mad at Dell. I mean, in the Alienware video, they're the one that is marketing its water cooled solution and yet his machine came with a crappy stock air-cooler yet you're mad at GN?
1626977793559.png

Maybe by watching tear down reviews like this one? GN is providing a valuable service here to those who could have made the mistake of buying this "crappy computer" when there are better options available.
In all honesty, I've learned a lot from him, not because I was going to buy anything but from how he's explaining. His reviews are cases are probably the most in-depth of any YTer and this series definitely

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Are you calling Dell's computers crappy :oops:
I am saying he bought a LOW END gaming computer, he received a LOW END gaming computer, and it's my opinion that he knew the end result of the review before he even clicked the order now button..

I mean according to some here he is a trusted expert. Are you telling me that a trusted expert would not know what he was getting from an order at that price point?

It's also my opinion that a $900 gaming PC from any company is probably going to be crappy... Heck there are graphics cards alone that cost 3x the price of that machines price..

It has nothing to do with me having bought a Dell.. I bought the top of the line bizz machine that I assume is exempt from the topic of this thread.

So Dell made a LOW end machine and charged a LOW end price for it? Whoop-de-do.. HP, Acer, Lenovo et all make LOW end machines and charge a LOW end price for them..

The video on the budget machine is pure click bait trash in my opinion. He says it's better than a Walmart computer yet that computer is nowhere to be found in the video to compare. Is the Dell garbage? At $900 for a gaming machine I'd assume the answer is YES...

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I am saying he bought a LOW END computer
Low end does not equate to crappy. 900 dollars for so many people is a lot of money and in spending that much money they should be able to get a decent computer that will meet most of their needs. The problem is Dell with its reputation of being a computer maker seems to have cut a number of corners and using proprietary components that will only cause ewaste and also make it harder for someone to actually upgrade the machines or move the components to a different computer.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Low end does not equate to crappy. 900 dollars for so many people is a lot of money and in spending that much money they should be able to get a decent computer that will meet most of their needs. The problem is Dell with its reputation of being a computer maker seems to have cut a number of corners and using proprietary components that will only cause ewaste and also make it harder for someone to actually upgrade the machines or move the components to a different computer.
Okay, I don't follow the guy or the series he is making.. As a matter of fact, I had no clue who the dude even was until I saw the videos posted here.

Is the series about low end budget gaming computers? If so then I'll give him a pass as long as he is comparing similarly prices machines in the series..

I'd still have issue with the overly drama'ish tone of the video and the lack of including the other machine it's being compared to in the video. That's just disingenuous in my opinion..

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I am saying he bought a LOW END gaming computer, he received a LOW END gaming computer, and it's my opinion that he knew the end result of the review before he even clicked the order now button..

I mean according to some here he is a trusted expert. Are you telling me that a trusted expert would not know what he was getting from an order at that price point?

It's also my opinion that a $900 gaming PC from any company is probably going to be crappy... Heck there are graphics cards alone that cost 3x the price of that machine price..

GN reviewed this PC which is at the same price point with the same exact core components as the Dell. Steve said he was "relatively impressed".

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
GN reviewed this PC which is at the same price point with the same exact core components as the Dell. Steve said he was "relatively impressed".

That's not my question..

My question was that if the series he purchased the computer for is about low end / budget gaming machines and if so then are all the machines in the series similarly priced..

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
That's not my question..

My question was that if the series he purchased the computer for is about low end / budget gaming machines and if so then are all the machines in the series similarly priced..

Not in the post I responded to, it wasn't. You said an "a $900 gaming PC from any company is probably going to be crappy". GN reviewed one that was not.

The series is about the overall quality of prebuilt PCs. As I said a few times, Steven addresses the price point as to whether the components line up to what consumers are paying. But if you were knowledgeable about GN, which you admit you are not, then you would know he goes much further than that.

Last edited:

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
The series is about the overall quality prebuilt PCs.
That is quite the wide range of machines. Since some here say he is a trusted expert then do you honestly believe that someone receiving those accolades would not know in advance exactly what he is ordering? Someone of that caliber should know exactly what components are on the inside (proprietary or not) before they even crack open the case...

It's my opinion he ordered that specific machine for a reason and that he knew well in advance of the order what the outcome / content was going to be..

If he didn't know in advance then those tossing the 'trusted' and 'expert' accolades his way should seriously reconsider using those terms..

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
That is quite the wide range of machines. Since some here say he is a trusted expert then do you honestly believe that someone receiving those accolades would not know in advance exactly what he is ordering? Someone of that caliber should know exactly what's on the inside before they even crack open the case...

It's my opinion he ordered that specific machine for a reason and that he knew well in advance of the order what the outcome / content was going to be..

If he didn't know in advance then those tossing the 'trusted' and 'expert' accolades his way should seriously reconsider using those terms..

How would anyone know that a PC has proprietary parts without opening up the case and actually looking? Even if a professional reviewer read somewhere else that this was the case they should not rely on third party information when doing a review. A review should be done first hand.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Based on the Aurora R10 review I would be skeptical that their other higher end systems (like that $5000 RTX3090 rig) would be able to keep things cool enough.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
I like Steve (GN) videos more the Linus, but they are longer (and more wordy)...

Yeah Steve is the guy you go to when you want detailed, serious info.

Linus is the guy you go to when you wanna have a bit of fun. I think LTT know the main objective of their videos is casual entertainment in the same way Top Gear wasn't about giving the audience a serious run down of a vehicle.

Reactions: TopherMan12

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
How would anyone know that a PC has proprietary parts without opening up the case and actually looking?
Are you implying that a 'trusted' 'expert' would have no clue if a pre-built machine has proprietary parts or not? If so then I guess research before making a purchase and / or video content is out the window..

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Are you implying that a 'trusted' 'expert' would have no clue if a pre-built machine has proprietary parts or not? If so then I guess research before making a purchase and / or video content is out the window..

No, a trusted expert would actually show you, the consumer, the proprietary parts exactly as Steve did in his review.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
No, a trusted expert would actually show you, the consumer, the proprietary parts exactly as Steve did in his review.
LOL...

Nothing wrong with showing us but don't pretend that a 'trusted' 'expert' didn't know in advance exactly what he was getting and why he was getting it...

Is the Dell trash? Yup but even I would expect that from a $900 gaming machine. That would be like buying a $300 Windows laptop then complaining that the screen is bad and has light bleed, the KB is crap, the trackpad is garbage and it's made from all cheap plastic ect...

Is the Alienware video troublesome? Yup!

Are the upcharges and hidden charges an issue? Yup and that needs to be stopped ASAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.