Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
LOL

I actually don't think you have read them and if you did then you are having issues comprehending them.. I never claimed he is a 'trusted expert'... If he is, and I honestly don't know, then my contention is that he should have the tools, ability and know how to research the computer he is buying. He acted shocked when he opened the case (cue the drama, shock and awe for the camera I guess)..

I'd certainly not label someone as a 'trusted expert' who goes into things blindly with out any research..

So:
  1. He knew exactly what he was getting and his reactions were just all show for the camera and click bait content
  2. He might not be the 'trusted expert' that some claim him to be since he can't use the tools at his disposal before purchase.
I fully believe the man knew in advance EXACTLY what he was buying and EXACTLY how the video would play out.. The result was just theatrics for views..

Good for you, you like his content. Based on what I've seen it's playing to the camera and drama induced trash but that's probably just me..
Uhh have you purchased a pre-built system from Dell? They typically do not take picture of INSIDE the case. He knew what he was getting with the components. If you watched the video, he actually showed the components and invoice pages. He knew what CPU/GPU/RAM and stuff he was getting. What he DIDN'T know and what Dell and others do not advertise is how its cable managed, WHAT components they are (32GB of good RAM or BAD RAM? Dell just lists 32GB), and more. I have never seen an order page, even Apple's that let the buyer know all those details. Is it GSKILL RAM or Crucial RAM? Don't know, most places just like the GB amount and not the actual brand. They also don't show the case and build quality INSIDE the case. How good is the plastic on the casing, front panels and other things.

For example of a personal situation I had. I got the 2010 Mac Pro when it was released. I did not see inside the actual tower itself on the order page, while Apple DOES do what most OEMs DOES NOT is show the inside and how it looks, but I did not see this so I was amazed. That still doesn't mean I did not know what I was getting. I picked the Xeon, the RAM, the GPU.....I picked the components I needed and I got what I expected. But the build quality and what the INSIDE looked like was a surprise. Same story here as Dell typically doesn't do these kind of things.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Uhh have you purchased a pre-built system from Dell? They typically do not take picture of INSIDE the case. He knew what he was getting with the components. If you watched the video, he actually showed the components and invoice pages. He knew what CPU/GPU/RAM and stuff he was getting. What he DIDN'T know and what Dell and others do not advertise is how its cable managed, WHAT components they are (32GB of good RAM or BAD RAM? Dell just lists 32GB), and more. I have never seen an order page, even Apple's that let the buyer know all those details. Is it GSKILL RAM or Crucial RAM? Don't know, most places just like the GB amount and not the actual brand. They also don't show the case and build quality INSIDE the case.

For example of a personal situation I had. I got the 2010 Mac Pro when it was released. I did not see inside the actual tower itself on the order page, while Apple DOES do what most OEMs DOES NOT is show the inside and how it looks, but I did not see this so I was amazed. That still doesn't mean I did not know what I was getting. I picked the Xeon, the RAM, the GPU.....I picked the components I needed and I got what I expected. But the build quality and what the INSIDE looked like was a surprise. Same story here as Dell typically doesn't do these kind of things.
Like I said, glad you enjoy his content.. I am sure he appreciates the views. While his messaging and the end result may very well be correct, I have an issue with the presentation and click bait style of his content...

I still stand by my opinion that a 'trusted expert' would have or should have known exactly what he was getting before the order was placed. I also firmly believe that he did know and that the order was placed after consideration of content and for a specific purpose (clicks and views)

My .02

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Like I said, glad you enjoy his content.. I am sure he appreciates the views. While his messaging and the end result may very well be correct I have an issue with the presentation and click bait style of his content...
Look up YouTube algorithms, unfortunately people need to play these kind of games to stay relevant on YouTube these days. Click-through rate and watch duration is important even if you have a million subscribers.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I still stand by my opinion that a 'trusted expert' would have or should have known exactly what he was getting before the order was placed. I also firmly believe that he did know and that the order was placed after consideration of content and for a specific purpose (clicks and views)
Again, where is your evidence that he did not know? You are making arguments that seem like he was expecting an RTX 3080 on a $900 system? He DID know what CPU, RAM, GPU he was getting. What he did NOT know were the specific nitty gritty details. 16GB of RAM != 16GB of RAM in some cases. What are the CAS latency and timing of the two types of RAM? How good is the CPU cooler? I can sell a system that has an i9-9900k, one has a cheap CPU cooler and another has a Noctua CPU cooler. How good is the thermal paste applied? Any loose cables or poorly managed cables?

Have you EVER seen a non-gaming/elite PC builder list these kind of things? You cannot expect GN to expect EVERY SINGLE DETAIL. The invoice listed the components, not all those little and highly important details.

Take a look at an invoice, it does not say "thermal paste applied as a pea droplet", or "RAM CAS Latency is ..... and timings are ....". So how can GN know all these details? Also the case too, sometimes things look good in pictures, but the actual material can be horrible.

Reactions: Cape Dave

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
So how can GN know all these details?
Was this a brand new model that was just released and he was one of the 1st to get it?

If not then I assume someone who is considered a 'trusted expert' has the tools, know how and ability to research these things... He knew, it was ordered after content consideration is my guess..

Anyways, I am tired of going in circles and I've stated my opinion on this dudes 'content' (I use that word lightly in regards to that video)...

Apparently I've triggered a few of this dudes worshipers.. Apologies :p :D

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Was this a brand new model that was just released and he was one of the 1st to get it?

If not then I assume someone who is considered a 'trusted expert' has the tools, know how and ability to research these things... He knew, it was ordered after content consideration is my guess..

Anyways, I am tired of going in circles... Apparently I've triggered a few of this dudes worshipers.. Apologies :p
So you are either saying he should plagiarize or just not do any content at all I guess? What if LTT reviews the next Intel processor before GN does? Well I guess since its already done GN CAN'T do his own research? Do you trust one person's opinion on these things, or do you look at multiple reviews? GN is just one of the many reviews for this product. I guess if IGN is first to review Final Fantasy 7 Remake, then no other source should even review that game since it was already done? They can't be surprised by the content because hey, IGN was already surprised and pointed it out?

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
So you are either saying he should plagiarize or just not do any content at all I guess? What if LTT reviews the next Intel processor before GN does? Well I guess since its already done GN CAN'T do his own research? Do you trust one person's opinion on these things, or do you look at multiple reviews? GN is just one of the many reviews for this product. I guess if IGN is first to review Final Fantasy 7 Remake, then no other source should even review that game since it was already done? They can't be surprised by the content because hey, IGN was already surprised and pointed it out?
I am just glad the man used his trusted expertise to point out that a budget gaming machine is ahhhh, ummm, well, ya know... ----> A budget gaming machine.... Kudos to him and his team for that!

We call all sleep well tonight knowing he has solved that dilemma for us.. LOL

Last edited:

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I am just glad the man used his trusted expertise to point out that a budget gaining machine is ahhhh, ummm, well, ya know... ----> A budget gaming machine.... Kudos to him and his team for that!

We call all sleep well tonight knowing he has solved that dilemma for us.. LOL

That is a horrible view on the topic. That is like saying ANYONE saying anything about the RTX 3080 and their "trusted expertise" is that its a good card. You need to actually listen to their content. Making it as simple as how you are making it is pointless.

WOW, someone's "expert analysis" on the Threadripper 3990X is that it's good at multi-tasking. SHOCKING. 5 seconds I see it has 64 cores. WOW you and the "expert advice" is that its good?

You can literally say that about ANY review EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.