Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mosylvestre

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2021
For all those who went with 31.5", did/will you set it to 2560 x 1440 or another resolution?

I intend to set it to 2560x1440, yes!
Since I do not have my new Macbook (likely an M1 Air) yet - do people have experience how this affects the system's performance on M1 machines?

Jeo_cz

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Prague, CZ
If someone buys it, please share some review. Specially if all ports (inc. ethernet) are working in full speed under macOS, combined with 4K at 60 Hz and 90 W of charging. Thanks.

Last edited:

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
For all those who went with 31.5", did/will you set it to 2560 x 1440 or another resolution?
I feel like 32” would be a bit too big for “Looks like 2560 x 1440”. 27” is generally considered the sweetspot for 1440p (just like ppl do the 27” iMac / 27” LG UltraFine 5K).

I think it would be similar to running 1920 x 1080 HiDPI on my 27” 4K monitor, which is too large for me.

I would think running at 3008 x 1692 or 3200 x 1800 might be a better balance for UI / font sizing on the 32”.

Reactions: Armada2

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Thank you for this thread, I just purchased the U3223QE.

Everything on specs looks great, main selling poing was the IPS Black tech, I'm hoping it blow my BenQ PD3220U out of the water, since my BenQ has horrible blacks which looks like greys.

I love the clean bezel design, and the integrated USB + ethernet, seems like it'll be extremely convenient when hooking it up with my macbook, no more dongles/hubs.

Also welcomed is the 400 cd/m2 and HDR, my BenQ PD3220U is 300 cd/m2 and HDR is not noticeable.

For anyone on the fence on going 32" vs 27", do it, I'm never going back to 27" even with the PPI factor.

chekie

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
If someone buys it, please share some review. Specially if all ports (inc. ethernet) are working in full speed under macOS, combined with 4K at 60 Hz and 90 W of charging. Thanks.
Based on my experience with S2722QC, if "High Data Speed" is selected for "USB-c Prioritization", I get 65w (max power supply for S2722QC, I assume you'll get 90w for U2723QE) + 4k60hz at 24 bit color + USB 5Gbps speed. This needs mac to support DP 1.4 (HBR3). I think all macs after 2018 support that. If I select "High Resolution", I get 65w + 4k60hz at 30 bit color + USB 2 speed.

Armada2

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Thank you for this thread, I just purchased the U3223QE.

Everything on specs looks great, main selling poing was the IPS Black tech, I'm hoping it blow my BenQ PD3220U out of the water, since my BenQ has horrible blacks which looks like greys.

I love the clean bezel design, and the integrated USB + ethernet, seems like it'll be extremely convenient when hooking it up with my macbook, no more dongles/hubs.

Also welcomed is the 400 cd/m2 and HDR, my BenQ PD3220U is 300 cd/m2 and HDR is not noticeable.

For anyone on the fence on going 32" vs 27", do it, I'm never going back to 27" even with the PPI factor.
Yesss! I pulled the trigger also :) for the 32.

Funny you mentioned the BenQ PD3220U, when I had that on my buy list last year but the price rocketed and no way was I paying for what I knew it was going for and then saw on Amazon poor reviews due to quality control, a lot of buyers were getting poor displays and bad Customer service which put me off so decided for 2022 to be the year and now see this new IPS Black tech.

I think this will be a great purchase.

As for resolution which will I use? I will be testing it out at 2560 but my guess is it's going to be higher as the screen is bigger so it won't look tiny the text etc as currently using a work 27" poor 4K monitor from Samsung and going higher than 2056 it starts to look tiny for design etc. (maybe I'm wrong as never had 32")

Reactions: trifid

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Yesss! I pulled the trigger also :) for the 32.

Funny you mentioned the BenQ PD3220U, when I had that on my buy list last year but the price rocketed and no way was I paying for what I knew it was going for and then saw on Amazon poor reviews due to quality control, a lot of buyers were getting poor displays and bad Customer service which put me off so decided for 2022 to be the year and now see this new IPS Black tech.

I think this will be a great purchase.

As for resolution which will I use? I will be testing it out at 2560 but my guess is it's going to be higher as the screen is bigger so it won't look tiny the text etc as currently using a work 27" poor 4K monitor from Samsung and going higher than 2056 it starts to look tiny for design etc. (maybe I'm wrong as never had 32")

I'm actually having an issue with the PD3220U with some odd dithering issue with fast moving images, and will be seeking customer support, we'll see how it goes.

To be fair, one thing I'll miss about the PD3220U is the external wheel controller, which is a beauty for adjusting brightness easily. With the Dell I'll have to deal with the clunky typical OSD.

With regards to resolution on 32", I'm currently using 3008x1692, it gives great desktop real-estate and UI size and text is not too big, not too small.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
The best part of this display is the Dell logo is now more discretely etched on to the stand arm. :)
I like the even bezels all around, and the USB 3.2 ports too.
It may be a good alternative to Apple's possible stand alone display and/or 27" iMac.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
You folks doing 1440p at 32" size class -- I don't know how you're doing it

I tried that for a week once and found it really not up to par on text quality

Reactions: LeeW and satcomer

davvid97

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2015
Aaargh it's this U32 or the LG UltraFine Display 32UQ85R yet to be released - both have pros and cons but can see LG having the better panel for colours but will cost more yet has less ports than Dell.

Dell - https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/del...onitors-monitor-accessories#techspecs_section

LG - https://pcmonitors.info/lg/lg-32uq85r-4k-ips-with-enhanced-contrast-ips-panel/
Design is much better on Dell, the frames are great, the downside is that compared to LG it does not have speakers
anyway I'm still going with Dell :)

eret9616

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2021
I'm actually having an issue with the PD3220U with some odd dithering issue with fast moving images, and will be seeking customer support, we'll see how it goes.

To be fair, one thing I'll miss about the PD3220U is the external wheel controller, which is a beauty for adjusting brightness easily. With the Dell I'll have to deal with the clunky typical OSD.

With regards to resolution on 32", I'm currently using 3008x1692, it gives great desktop real-estate and UI size and text is not too big, not too small.

There is software that can control external monitor brightness

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
There is software that can control external monitor brightness
Mind blown, thanks man.

EPO75

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Rotterdam
Close to pulling the trigger on the 32" Dell

Quick question @EPO75 - I take it since you are ordering the 32" DELL you are happy with the size and not too big with the LG? and what resolution do you use/will you use with your mac? as hear the higher the smaller the text etc but not seen it in person on a 32" if all good? Let us know your opinion :) Many thanks
Yeah the bigger one, I had two 27inch but got bored with that. One 32 inch is amazing, I prefer that over two 27inch but ofc that is personal.

I usually use the scaled 3002x resolution, or sometimes the 3360x with tools like better dummy as Apple is removing almost every scaled resolution for non-Apple monitors.

Lee Cooper

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2021
Well, I found the Mac Dell Display Manager a kind of useless and seems having privacy issues. Got the UP2720q few days ago, the "professional" one with integrated hardware calibration, still not decided to keep it or not.
Today I tried the Mac Display Manager on my 2018 MBP. First, when first run it asked to allow access to Screen Recording and Accessibility to control the Mac, two security/privacy settings.

There is no other app I have to use Screen Recording, not sure why Dell needs it. However I decided to allow this in order to see how it works. The idea was to use its KVM feature. Unfortunately the Mac version of the DDM has no KVM, so it is not possible to share mouse, keyboard or any USB drive between two computers connected to the monitor.

Than, I could not find any useful feature in DDM, split screen or inputs switch is also easy in OSD menu.

There are also a kind of annoying rectangles popping up on screen each time the mouse move asking you to reposition the open windows you have. With this "feature" combined with the Screen recording issue, I deleted immediately the DDM.

Reactions: trifid

Jeo_cz

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Prague, CZ
Based on my experience with S2722QC, if "High Data Speed" is selected for "USB-c Prioritization", I get 65w (max power supply for S2722QC, I assume you'll get 90w for U2723QE) + 4k60hz at 24 bit color + USB 5Gbps speed. This needs mac to support DP 1.4 (HBR3). I think all macs after 2018 support that. If I select "High Resolution", I get 65w + 4k60hz at 30 bit color + USB 2 speed.
Thanks. So the ethernet port is useless because it is gigabit only with 4K at 24 bit. I am glad I have UP2720Q with full TB3 since I need the speed (usb ethernet dongle plugged into a monitor) together with 30 bit (color accurancy).

Jeo_cz

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Prague, CZ
Well, I found the Mac Dell Display Manager a kind of useless and seems having privacy issues. Got the UP2720q few days ago, the "professional" one with integrated hardware calibration, still not decided to keep it or not.
Today I tried the Mac Display Manager on my 2018 MBP. First, when first run it asked to allow access to Screen Recording and Accessibility to control the Mac, two security/privacy settings.

There is no other app I have to use Screen Recording, not sure why Dell needs it. However I decided to allow this in order to see how it works. The idea was to use its KVM feature. Unfortunately the Mac version of the DDM has no KVM, so it is not possible to share mouse, keyboard or any USB drive between two computers connected to the monitor.

Than, I could not find any useful feature in DDM, split screen or inputs switch is also easy in OSD menu.

There are also a kind of annoying rectangles popping up on screen each time the mouse move asking you to reposition the open windows you have. With this "feature" combined with the Screen recording issue, I deleted immediately the DDM.
I have the same monitor for a year and it's awesome (well, maybe except the chin). Also, it has the full Thunderbolt 3.

About DDM I totally agree with you. I uninstalled it after a few minutes, nothing interested on this app.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
I am quite interested to see if the built-in 1G LAN port can perform consistently given how limited a single type-C connection is. There are even 5 discrete USB ports each rated at full 10G at the back / bottom. If these ports performance reasonably well I see this monitor as a really great general purpose dock + display solution for all MacBooks, particularly Airs or any other model with only 2 ports.

mosylvestre

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2021
My Dell U3223QE arrived this morning already!

First impressions:
- colours and blacks looks beautiful (the package included a report of the factory calibration)
- build quality and design look great on first appearance (much better than the LG 32UN880 I had previously tried out); no dead/ bright pixels spotted
- the stand is quite heavy and deep (actually a bit deeper than I'd want, but still fine)
- I have it set to "looks like 2560x1440" which is perfect for my eyes; screen size seems perfect as well, very glad I opted for the larger one (sitting around 70-80 cm away from the screen)
- performance on my 2018 13" MBP (8 GB Ram) seems fine using the scaled resolution; no noticeable lag, though I haven't pushed the system properly yet

Will post more details once I've spent a few days with it :)

IMG_4064.jpeg
IMG_4063.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.