Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clonetrooper

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2021
England
So, which one to open...?
Both! Really interested to see which sizing you prefer!

I've been waiting on the Dell U2722DE for ages to come back in stock, might consider one of these instead. The 2722DE is not 4K though but I think the sizing might be easier to read.

DaRock

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Wow, you used to run your 27 4K LG at the true 4K 3840 x 2160 resolution? I've tried that a few times with my 27" LG 4K UD-68 and text was way too small. Wouldn't even have a chance to see anything at normal viewing distance.

I'm sure it's a bit bigger on a 32" 4K, but still, you must have eagle eyes!
Yeah, people say am crazy. But i got so used to it and i just stuck with it. On the 32 is a lot better and beginning to really like that resolution but we will see if it lasts on this new dell. Eyes are not bad and only going to get better lol

DaRock

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
So, which one to open...?
Nice selection here. Which one do you prefer? Will you be keeping both?

You are the perfect person to a review as you have both. The only thing am not happy about is the length of the USBC cable...its too short.

Last edited:

lezmace

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Got the 3223QE yesterday.
First impressions are very good. For the size the sharpness is very good, not that great like on the 2720Q I have before, but that is logic because the display is bigger. And I testes some YouTube 4k Videos with deep blacks and I find the blacks very good!
All in all i am very happy with the monitor!

Reactions: DaRock and davvid97

al233773

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2022
Installed the 3223QE this morning on a MacBook Pro (M1 Max).
Out of the box: great display quality, great blacks - feels somehow like the Retina Display.
Try to get used to the size as my distance to the monitor is quite short - but having the space to move windows around is great. Had a Dell P2720QC before, so 27" with WQHD and that worked fine.

Not unpacked the 2723QE yet - try to give the 32" a chance :)

Last edited:

EPO75

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Rotterdam
Mine finally arrived, now comparing it to the LG32UL950. Dell seems to have the better colours, or they pop more. Brightness is same while only 400nits compared to the 600nits of the LG. Bezels size are the same. I did see the IPS black light bleeding still present on the DELL and at first hand not better then the LG with it's Nano IPS screen which is a bit disappointing. Left is the Dell om my M1 Air and right is the LG on my Mini M1. You can see left below on both screen the bleed, though looks much worse on picture then in real. This is only clearly visible in a semi dark (which is it now atm in my room) room or full dark room with black scenes, tbh it is as worse as the older panel I don't see any improvement at all.
Would love to see pictures from other users with the same desktop in the dark, but I guess this is the downside of IPS, shame I really hoped this would have been improved.

IMG_1322.jpeg

Last edited:

misivitek

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2022
Hello everyone, the monitor catched my eye too! First, the contrast is promising, second, it`s beautifully designed.

Anyways, I wanted to ask you whether you feel like it is truly worth its price tag? I have a regular M1 MBP + 4K@60 LG UK650-W, but it bothers me that it`s missing a USB-C port (+ the mbp only has 2 ports).

I was thinking about investing in a TB3 dock, but the prices and availability is quite limited, so I thought it might be easier to get a new monitor to serve as a hub (I mainly need USB A ports).

This one really looks great, but I am just thinking whether is it truly worth it? The price tag is quite steep and I am wondering whether I couldn`t maybe get a 144hz 4K screen for a similar price? But then again... I edit photos and videos, so color accuracy is also important for me...

So really curious if this one is worth the money!

Reactions: blackdog0403

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
I just received mine, the contrast difference is very noticeable and looks MUCH better than my BenQ PD3220U. Night and day difference.

On the downside, it looks like I got a bad unit with regards to backlight uniformity, even though it's expected that IPS panels are uneven by nature, I think it's worse than it should be.

Also, the IPS Black I'm not seeing as much difference as I'd like, it's definitely nowhere close to the Macbook's display in terms of black.

I made a video to show the difference, Dell U3223QE vs BenQ PD3220U (note that the backlight defects are far more noticeable on video/photo than in real life). Also note the dell is 400nits vs 300nits on the BenQ.

I wonder if my unit is an exception or not, hopefully not as I'm planning on returning this one and requesting a replacement.

EPO75

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Rotterdam
Mine is just as bad and you have the same bleed positions as on mine. Is that BenQ also IPS?

View attachment 1956607

I am really not sure what this IPS Black should bring, like I mentioned earlier my LG32UL950 with it's Nano IPS screen has less bleeding. I can see the blacks are a tiny better and colours also a bit but this bleeding and glow is even worse.
Pictures and video made on a iPhone 13 Pro so it's HDR and ofc looks way worse then in real.
IMG_1326.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Armada2

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Mine is just as bad and you have the same bleed positions as on mine. Is that BenQ also IPS?

View attachment 1956607

I am really not sure what this IPS Black should bring, like I mentioned earlier my LG32UL950 with it's Nano IPS screen has less bleeding. I can see the blacks are a tiny better and colours also a bit but this bleeding and glow is even worse.
Pictures and video made on a iPhone 13 Pro so it's HDR and ofc looks way worse then in real.
View attachment 1956610

Yes BenQ is IPS. I'm using it more and can see much better blacks in the Dell, not sure if it's a combination of better contrast and blacks, but it's very noticeable the improvement. Only downside as I mentioned is the backlight details.

Fair disclosure: My video can't capture the improvement in contrast/black BTW, which is far better in person.

DaRock

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Mine finally arrived, now comparing it to the LG32UL950. Dell seems to have the better colours, or they pop more. Brightness is same while only 400nits compared to the 600nits of the LG. Bezels size are the same. I did see the IPS black light bleeding still present on the DELL and at first hand not better then the LG with it's Nano IPS screen which is a bit disappointing. Left is the Dell om my M1 Air and right is the LG on my Mini M1. You can see left below on both screen the bleed, though looks much worse on picture then in real. This is only clearly visible in a semi dark (which is it now atm in my room) room or full dark room with black scenes, tbh it is as worse as the older panel I don't see any improvement at all.
Would love to see pictures from other users with the same desktop in the dark, but I guess this is the downside of IPS, shame I really hoped this would have been improved.

View attachment 1956522
Can you share the desktop image or link to test. also what settings - brightness, contrast, etc are you using, and is it on standard mode with the menu settings. Alsowhat is you connection type DP, USBC etc?

EPO75

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Rotterdam
Can you share the desktop image or link to test. also what settings - brightness, contrast, etc are you using, and is it on standard mode with the menu settings. Alsowhat is you connection type DP, USBC etc?
Just a default desktop background from Monterey where the corners are black. But it's ok. Colours and black are fine and better then my LG, the thing is this monitor is not designed for dark rooms or IPS. I was just hoping a bit that it would be improved.
Also changed colour to Rec.709 which is much better, brightness on 100%. Anyways I don't use this to watch movies or use it as a TV and most of the times use it in daylight so won't notice it. Also using non black wallpapers makes it way less noticable. I am keeping this and wait patiently for any 4k 32/34inch (or with a higher res) 100hz+ MiniLed or Oled with small bezels. I am spoiled with true blacks on my LG G1 Oled I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Armada2 and trifid

grator

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2015
France
Hello,
Juste received mine today. I'm a bit disappointed too, to be honest.
Mine also has some backlight bleed and IPS glow (this is worst on the photo, however), and there is some color shift on plain white/light grey background, from some magenta to green/blue.
Don't know what to do. I also have an LG 32UN880 in order but I don't think I'll keep it. Many reliability issues with it, and I guess the LG warranty could not compete Dell's one (5 bright pixels vs only 1 for Dell for example).
Well, maybe I'll try an exchange, I really don't know for now!

Attachments

• IMG_0351.jpeg
    IMG_0351.jpeg
    355.7 KB · Views: 557
  • Sad
Reactions: Armada2

grator

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2015
France
Got the 31.5" and the 27" and have to say, that the 31.5" is much much better than 27" in every aspect.

27" already went back into the box.

Now testing the 31.5"

But first impression: 31.5" LG Ergo BN880 seems to have better blacks....
I've read you got the LG for some months now. Do you have any issues with it?
I bought one last September, but sent it back because of poor color uniformity.

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
I've read you got the LG for some months now. Do you have any issues with it?
I bought one last September, but sent it back because of poor color uniformity.
Mine got back because of a black pixel and the display started to make noise.

Qualitywise the Dell is much much better and a really like the display so far. But for black levels I'm not sure... Will test it the next days and will give a feedback.

Reactions: davvid97

grator

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2015
France
Mine got back because of a black pixel and the display started to make noise.

Qualitywise the Dell is much much better and a really like the display so far. But for black levels I'm not sure... Will test it the next days and will give a feedback.
Oh ok, so I'll not even take the time to unbox it, and will send it back right away.
Do you have some backlight bleed on your Dell too?

EPO75

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Rotterdam
Oh ok, so I'll not even take the time to unbox it, and will send it back right away.
Do you have some backlight bleed on your Dell too?
Everyone will have blacklight bleed with IPS, it is only though visible in a dark room or with no lights on. Anyways the IPS glow is more annoying then the Bleed with this panel.

grator

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2015
France
Everyone will have blacklight bleed with IPS, it is only though visible in a dark room or with no lights on. Anyways the IPS glow is more annoying then the Bleed with this panel.
Well, on mine I have a large backlight bleed area on the left bottom. Plus it kind of disappears if I push a bit on the panel.

DanielFNG

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2019
Interesting to see these pictures of e.g back light bleed - I appreciate all IPS panels have this to an extent, and all of you said that it was much worse in photo than in person, but the photos do look a little worrying.

Out of interest is anyone familiar with the LG 27UP850 and how it compares to this monitor? They are both USB-C but the Dell has extra features (ethernet, 2000:1 contrast, etc). However I'm wondering if that's worth the £300 increase in cost!

EPO75

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Rotterdam
Interesting to see these pictures of e.g back light bleed - I appreciate all IPS panels have this to an extent, and all of you said that it was much worse in photo than in person, but the photos do look a little worrying.

Out of interest is anyone familiar with the LG 27UP850 and how it compares to this monitor? They are both USB-C but the Dell has extra features (ethernet, 2000:1 contrast, etc). However I'm wondering if that's worth the £300 increase in cost!
I owned that one until recently and then bought the LG32UL950 and now the Dell 32 inch. Both are a LOT better.

Clonetrooper

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2021
England
I just installed the 27"... and what a difference to the 32".
Feels small, and the colors don't feel that good. If you watch trailers or a movie, it's different anyway :)

Got the 31.5" and the 27" and have to say, that the 31.5" is much much better than 27" in every aspect.

27" already went back into the box.

In what respects is the 32 inch better? I'm going to be using a Mac mini with a viewing distance of just over 60CM. I'm worried about text size. I use a 24 inch screen currently from work of 1920x1080. Sizing is fine but it's not the sharpest text!

lonelyhiccup

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2022
NJ, USA
Hello all.

I upgraded my MBP 2015 to the new MPB 14 (base model). My external monitors were really old, so I decided to start researching monitors.
  1. Dell P2721Q: My buddy is traveling and he shipped this to my address. I have been using this for a few weeks now (def asked first if it's ok to use). He paid $543 USD for it.
  2. LG 32UN880-B: I bought from Costco. $693 including taxes. As it arrived, I compared with the P2721Q, LG was not bright enough, sharp enough for me to justify spending $$ on it. So, I returned it.
  3. LG UltraFine 5K Display: Picked this up from an Apple Store. $1,250 including taxes (I managed a little discount). It is amazing!! Feels like I am looking at my iPhone 13 Pro or my MBP 14 screen. Sharp texts. Bright screen. I do some video editing - and the level of detail is amazing. I do not have any problem with the build quality. I have a monitor mount that I use. Also, it works great with my HP ZBook Create G7. It runs at 4K resolution. But crisp texts.
    • So, my current setup is the LG UltraFine 5K Display as my primary display and the P2721Q as my second monitor. At some point of time the P2721Q will go to my bud.
  4. Dell U2723QE: I wanted to compare this with the LG UF 5K. It was delivered today. $626 including taxes. I used an AMEX offer to get it down to that amount. Anyways, It is absolutely a great monitor. I compared it side by side with the LG UF 5K. It looks almost as good as the 5K. Not as bright, texts are not as sharp as the 5k. I played the same videos on both that I recorded in 4K... the only difference I see is that very fine details of the video is noticeable/more enjoyable in the 5K display.
Sooooo... I like the fact that the Dell U2723QE is just released, half the price of the LG UF 5K. Also, I have been reading about Apple's new monitor may be released this year. I am down to pay more for the new display to experience the new technology.

Now, I am struggling to make a decision if the Dell U2723QE gets returned or the LG UltraFine 5K (I have 2 more days to return). The LG one was updated in 2019. So, about 3 year old vs. something loaded with newest tech. But I really enjoy the 5K display..
  1. Should I return the LG and keep the Dell? This way I save the $$ now for the Apple Display.
  2. Return the Dell and stick with the 5K. As, it just might be a rumor and Apple may not release a new low price (still $$$) XDR display..
Thanks!

Reactions: davvid97

EPO75

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Rotterdam
Hello all.

I upgraded my MBP 2015 to the new MPB 14 (base model). My external monitors were really old, so I decided to start researching monitors.
  1. Dell P2721Q: My buddy is traveling and he shipped this to my address. I have been using this for a few weeks now (def asked first if it's ok to use). He paid $543 USD for it.
  2. LG 32UN880-B: I bought from Costco. $693 including taxes. As it arrived, I compared with the P2721Q, LG was not bright enough, sharp enough for me to justify spending $$ on it. So, I returned it.
  3. LG UltraFine 5K Display: Picked this up from an Apple Store. $1,250 including taxes (I managed a little discount). It is amazing!! Feels like I am looking at my iPhone 13 Pro or my MBP 14 screen. Sharp texts. Bright screen. I do some video editing - and the level of detail is amazing. I do not have any problem with the build quality. I have a monitor mount that I use. Also, it works great with my HP ZBook Create G7. It runs at 4K resolution. But crisp texts.
    • So, my current setup is the LG UltraFine 5K Display as my primary display and the P2721Q as my second monitor. At some point of time the P2721Q will go to my bud.
  4. Dell U2723QE: I wanted to compare this with the LG UF 5K. It was delivered today. $626 including taxes. I used an AMEX offer to get it down to that amount. Anyways, It is absolutely a great monitor. I compared it side by side with the LG UF 5K. It looks almost as good as the 5K. Not as bright, texts are not as sharp as the 5k. I played the same videos on both that I recorded in 4K... the only difference I see is that very fine details of the video is noticeable/more enjoyable in the 5K display.
Sooooo... I like the fact that the Dell U2723QE is just released, half the price of the LG UF 5K. Also, I have been reading about Apple's new monitor may be released this year. I am down to pay more for the new display to experience the new technology.

Now, I am struggling to make a decision if the Dell U2723QE gets returned or the LG UltraFine 5K (I have 2 more days to return). The LG one was updated in 2019. So, about 3 year old vs. something loaded with newest tech. But I really enjoy the 5K display..
  1. Should I return the LG and keep the Dell? This way I save the $$ now for the Apple Display.
  2. Return the Dell and stick with the 5K. As, it just might be a rumor and Apple may not release a new low price (still $$$) XDR display..
Thanks!
Keep the amazing 5k and enjoy it while you wait. Knowing Apple that new “budget” monitor will be delayed or hard to get and still be expensive and they prefer you buy that new iMac.

Reactions: lonelyhiccup
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.