Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justsomerandomaccount

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2022
Reactions: Mac Hammer Fan

WP31

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2020
FYI – Dell has just published a firmware update for the U3223QE with the below improvements:
  1. To enhance KVM auto switch function
  2. To address secondary U3223QE connected in daisy-chain mode unable to reach 4K@60Hz issue with Intel Graphics card
  3. To support Dell platforms (TGL) to enable DSC over MST preference
Source: https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...scode=mac1&productcode=u3223qe-monitor&lwp=rt
M3T101? Ah, I see, M3T102 on the website. Doesn't show up in DDPM 'Update'.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I will probably be getting be getting a dell2723 and Mac Studio in the next few weeks. I am assuming usb-c is the best way to connect them? If so is the cable that comes with the Dell OK to use or do I need a special cable?

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
I will probably be getting be getting a dell2723 and Mac Studio in the next few weeks. I am assuming usb-c is the best way to connect them? If so is the cable that comes with the Dell OK to use or do I need a special cable?
I connect a 4K webcam to the back of mine, and I was seeing video glitches with the usb-c cable that came with it.

I replaced it with a cable spec’d as USB4 and 100W. Cable matters and spigen has been a good brand of cable for me.

Reactions: dimme

AceAlpha

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2023
Hi I have this screen and I'm unable to get PbP (Picture by picture) or PiP working. Set-up is as follows:

- Macbook Pro connected with USB-C (90W port)
- Mac Mini connected with HDMI + USB-C upstream port

When I enter PbP/PiP mode, it keeps searching for a Displayport Input. Which is not being used given my set-up.

Is it the case that the connection must at least be one DP-port input + the USB-C upstream to allow the PiP / PbP to work?

Which means the set-up should be as follows:

- Mac Mini connected with DP-port + USB-C upstream port (This would be anoying because the Mac Mini only has HDMI and USB-C out for video).

mennion

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2023
Hmm new firmware. Still blinking on the dark surfaces? And new version macos (beta). Is flashing still bug?

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
Hi I have this screen and I'm unable to get PbP (Picture by picture) or PiP working. Set-up is as follows:

- Mac Mini connected with HDMI + USB-C upstream port

When I enter PbP/PiP mode, it keeps searching for a Displayport Input. Which is not being used given my set-up.

Is it the case that the connection must at least be one DP-port input + the USB-C upstream to allow the PiP / PbP to work?

Which means the set-up should be as follows:

- Mac Mini connected with DP-port + USB-C upstream port (This would be anoying because the Mac Mini only has HDMI and USB-C out for video).
I can confirm that it will work with usb-c on one Mac and a second device using HDMI. Are you able to get each display to work independently? Try the PIP/KVM wizard.

AceAlpha

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2023
I can confirm that it will work with usb-c on one Mac and a second device using HDMI. Are you able to get each display to work independently? Try the PIP/KVM wizard.
Yes they work perfectly independent from each other. It's only when I'm trying to get it in PIP it seems to focus on adding a DisplayPort source. Instead of allowing me to select HDMI + USB-C. Also see the photo.

Attachments

• 20230618_192330.jpg
    20230618_192330.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 249

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
Just received mine (Rev A02). I'm very happy so far but the screen does seem to have a pretty stark green tint. Reading this thread and elsewhere, that seems to be quite common? I've settled on R100, G95, B98 for now.
There's a REV A02 of the 27 inch? if yes, where do you buy it? If I buy it right now on Amazon I'll get the latest REV?

Last edited:

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
Both U2723QE and 27UQ850-W use the same LG Nano IPS Black panel but different backlight system. The Dell comes with 'local dimming' with a couple of hundred zones. Perhaps only very carefully comparison side by side in person will notice a difference due to different backlight system.

Also on Nano IPS Black panels. It's a cool development. Honestly though I can't notice a superior difference in a side-by-side comparison through video shot of the screens (not in person). In fact, while watching the comparison video, the non IPS Black panel appears superior because of more details in dark areas. The IPS Black panel loses details in dark areas of the test footage.

Perhaps that's a side effect of video shooting of monitor screens. In person maybe a different story?

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
How do you work out what Rev you are, I just received mine and am very happy with it. Blacks are clacker than my Dell U3421WE and it doesn't have as much of a green hue as it.

Firmware M2T102

amancalledsun

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
How do you work out what Rev you are, I just received mine and am very happy with it. Blacks are clacker than my Dell U3421WE and it doesn't have as much of a green hue as it.

Firmware M2T102
It says on the box next to the serial number and service tag barcode.

Attachments

• IMG_3091.jpeg
    IMG_3091.jpeg
    332.6 KB · Views: 145

kvic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015

I failed to see any noticeable difference by the panels (IPS Black by LGD vs previous gen IPS panel by BOE). Due to lighting condition and/or filming angle, the display on the left in the youtube's videos will _always_ appear better to me because it has less reflection. these comparison videos are helpful but with lot of limitation. People have to see in person.

My take-away was IPS Black panel has some improvement in contrast but offset by worse backlight implementation. I'm referring to 27UQ850 vs 27UP850 (which I spent some time research). That is BOE did a better job on the backlight in their panels. LGD didn't do as a good job in their IPS Black panels. Perhaps LGD will be able to improve backlight quality in future production batches. So far IPS Black + poorer backlight is a wash. If people see deep discount on previous generation, it'll be a steal.

I don't know if Dell U2723QE shares the essentially same backlight implementation as in LG U27UQ850. I made an incorrect statement in my previous post in this thread (which I'm going to correct it). U2723QE doesn't have hundreds of dimming zones. It only has _four_ dimming zones which give me the impression that essentially U2723QE and U27UQ850 share the same backlight implementation. Only a tiny software tweak that let the Dell have four zones. Pretty much useless selling point IMO.

If people cannot decide between Dell and LG, compare support, warranty service, power supply and other fringe benefits may help. If people cannot decide between IPS Black panel and BOE panels, you won't go wrong with the cheaper price options. Essentially both panels perform much similar than any difference overall.

Reactions: picpicmac

mario0

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2021
My Dell U3223QE says it's using only YPBPR mode instead of RGB (RGB shows fuzzy colors). Anybody knows why and how to resolve?

I have a MacBook Pro and the monitor is directly connected to the Macbook. I use the USB-C cable which came with the monitor.

Last edited:

miric

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2016
My Dell U3223QE says it's using only YPBPR mode instead of RGB (RGB shows fuzzy colors). Anybody knows why and how to resolve?

I have a MacBook Pro and the monitor is directly connected to the Macbook. I use the USB-C cable which came with the monitor.

I had the same issue and the same display, but I used 3rd-party USB4 cable with my Mac mini M1. After some time I noticed it switched to YPbPr. I swapped cable with USB-C > DP cable adapter, now it is connected in RGB mode. But I don't get your situation. You're asking how to solve YPbPr (I suppose you want to go back to RGB mode), the same time you state "RGB shows fuzzy colors". Why do you actually want RGB mode?

BTW I had dark areas flicker issues (Spotify, Docker Dashboard,...) with that USB4 cable. I didn't see it so far with USB-C > DP cable.

Last edited:

amancalledsun

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
I have the same issue, but I used 3rd-party USB4 cable with my Mac mini M1. After some time I noticed it switched to YPbPr. I swapped cable with USB-C > DP cable adapter, now it is connected in RGB mode. But I don't get your situation. You're asking how to solve YPbPr (I suppose you want to go back to RGB mode), the same time you state "RGB shows fuzzy colors". Why do you actually want RGB mode?

BTW I had dark areas flicker issues (Spotify, Docker Dashboard,...) with that USB4 cable. I didn't see it so far with USB-C > DP cable.
I noticed a bunch of resolution disparities when using hdmi vs usb-DisplayPort cables on my m2 mini. HDMI wouldn’t give me intermediate scaled resolutions that are shown by the mini when connected by usb-dp. Text etc appear much crisper with the dp connection. I have a MacBook pro connected to the usb-c input and the switching seems to work really well. My MBP is showing RGB connection on the usb input, using the cable that came with the monitor.

Reactions: miric

Seem Cor

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2023
Yes they work perfectly independent from each other. It's only when I'm trying to get it in PIP it seems to focus on adding a DisplayPort source. Instead of allowing me to select HDMI + USB-C. Also see the photo.
You have not run the setup wizard correctly. You need to choose the appropriate inputs (ie. HDMI instead of the DisplayPort). I had the same issue as you, but works perfect after specifying the correct ports in the wizard.

Seem Cor

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2023
Does the U2723QE have a glossy or semi-glossy screen?
Semi gloss I believe. I like the monitor but reflections on the screen are bad. Much prefer my others monitors for reflections, I set near windows but with curtains closed, but far from blackout curtains, they let a lot of the light through

neko77

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2007
Zaragoza, Spain

Mine is in RGB since ventura 13.5. It seems to solve, at least for me, all the issues.

Reactions: mario0

mario0

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2021
Mine is in RGB since ventura 13.5. It seems to solve, at least for me, all the issues.
Yes, I can confirm this. Ventura 13.5 has resolved the issue.

However, I was able to resolve the issue in Ventura 13.4 but therefore I had to change a few monitor settings:
- Switch form USB-C high speed to high resolution
- Disable MST
- Disable DDC/CI

On Ventura 13.5 I can still use high data speed on USB-C and have RGB color mode.

Reactions: yinyang

hipeboy

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2023
Hi everyone,

I'm running a Dell U2723QE in conjunction with my good old buddy MBP 13" Retina from early 2015.
Connecting it with a miniDP/Thunderbolt to DisplayPort cable.
The resolution is set to 4K @ 60 Hz with HiDPI (2x like Retina) using EasyRes or BetterDisplay apps.

DELL U2723QE:
Resolution: 3840 x 2160 (2160p/4K UHD 1 - Ultra High Definition)
UI: 1920 x 1080 @ 60.00Hz

Everything is working fine. The text is sharp and the scrolling is smooth.
The only thing that I would love to improve is the color of the Dell compared to the MacBook Pro Retina display.
Colors are much paler on the Dell monitor and at the same time I feel more fatigue in my eyes if I spend some time reading articles, news, etc. something that doesn't happen when I use the MBP built-in screen.

Do you guys have any recommendations regarding the settings on Dell side and also any ICC profile to use on MacOS side? I don't expect to have a 1:1 similarity in terms of colors between the two screens, but at least to be as close as possible and reduce eyestrain.

Thanks in advance.

dsteve

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
Just FYI. My U2723QE just arrived from Amazon…made in May 2023, rev03.

No idea what changes. Could be improvements or just component changes, eg cost reduction.

eas

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2005
I'm having trouble keeping all the permutations straight. What USB speeds can I get with one of these if I hook it to a 2021 MBP Max 16" with a good USB-C cable and want 4K&60Hz?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.