Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
They support keyboards like the Keyboard Folio on iPad, too :)
Ah, that reminds me of my first introduction to emulators! I was using a 2007 MacBook, and a keyboard was my only input option. I actually put an SNES emulator on my Power Macintosh 6500 around that same time, and my younger brother managed to single wall wall jump in Super Metroid using a keyboard on it. (Frankly, it was honestly amazing that the 6500 could even emulate the SNES passably well, and it was even more amazing that my younger brother managed to get so good at playing with a keyboard.) Thanks for that trip down memory lane, I can’t believe I ever forgot that there was a time when a keyboard was my only option for using emulators!

Reactions: rmariboe

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
After the initial hype form YouTubers looking for clicks this emulation on iPhones will die off soon.

The only people who play Gameboy roms are mostly 55 year old men with mid life crisis trying to feel like they are in the 1980s again.

If you show Gameboy games to a teenager or child today they will say the games look like **** and music is crap. They're not wrong. The programmers did amazing stuff in those days and some pixel art is legendary but kids want the new Mario Sunshine not Mario Cement Factory.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
After the initial hype form YouTubers looking for clicks this emulation on iPhones will die off soon.

The only people who play Gameboy roms are mostly 55 year old men with mid life crisis trying to feel like they are in the 1980s again.

If you show Gameboy games to a teenager or child today they will say the games look like **** and music is crap. They're not wrong. The programmers did amazing stuff in those days and some pixel art is legendary but kids want the new Mario Sunshine not Mario Cement Factory.
Excuse me, not THAT much time has passed! A 55 year old today was already 20 years old by the time the GameBoy came out. GameBoys are largely a 90s thing, not an 80s thing. And nostalgia for the games probably starts a little earlier, the GameBoy was cheap enough that most interested families could probably afford one for each kid (especially by the time Pokémon came out), you definitely had 7 or 8 year olds with GameBoys in the late 1990s (so let’s say 30 year olds). The GBA (which is the primary system Delta emulates) is even newer (released in 2001), and it supports the DS (released in 2004), as well. Nostalgia for those consoles certainly isn’t limited to 55 year olds.

psj2710

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014

What a crock of ****

With gaming if a games playable then gamers of all ages will play it even if it has ‘outdated graphics’. My friend runs arcade club in the UK with all the classic stage machines from the 70s and 80s. It’s very popular with kids of all ages. Many older games might not always look the best but are so playable and that’s what counts.

It’s like music or film. If you’re a fan a large percentage will watch the old classics or listen to classic bands their parents did. Do 20 year olds only listen to the latest rubbish music ? No ? Only watch recent films ? No.

Of course it’s not for everyone as some gamers will just stick to the latest stuff

But your ridiculous stereotype that it’ll be just old blokes is a complete joke. It’s like saying gamers are spotty virgins. Ridiculous post

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
For what it’s worth, there’s already a version of RetroArch on the iOS App Store. So, if you want your PlayStation fix and don’t want to wait for Provenance, just grab RetroArch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.