Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
That emulator that you're referring to was famously rejected from the App Store because it had the ability to launch other executable code, as in, what emulators usually do. They had to make sure that it can only run everything that was bundled with it and nothing else.

And while there was no Files app on iOS, you did have a file system and you could in fact add arbitrary files to applications using iTunes. Here's a 13-year-old tutorial on how to add PDF files to a PDF reader app:

So it would've been extremely possible to make a generic retro game emulator like Delta on iOS even back then, but obviously Apple did not allow it.

Why are you trying to show us we can transfer files with iTunes as if we are born yesterday? Anyway…

That C64 emulator was indeed pulled because there is a risk of a rom being crafted to exploit a system. The emulator wasn’t a popular download anyway. Almost all of Sega’s retro apps on the App Store are Mega Drive emulators wrapped in a skin. They don’t sell well either.

As for the risk of malicious roms, that remains true now with side loading but the main security problems will always be the apps themselves and the permissions they ask for. Copycat apps with malware have also been abundant on the Google Play Store and as we know they sometimes slip into the App Store.

Hell times are coming. No doubt cyber criminals are paying a percentage to the European decision makers.

Reactions: mrBeach

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
And why did Apple wait until DMA was in enforcement to allow emulators in the App Store? They've had around 15 years before the DMA to allow emulators in the App Store, so why did it happen the month after DMA enforcement began?

The fact is, before the DMA, there was only a single way to install Delta on your iPhone. Now in a post-DMA world, there are three.
Unless you are in the EU, in which case the app developer is restricting your choice as a consumer.

Mailia

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2010
Finland
Why are you trying to show us we can transfer files with iTunes as if we are born yesterday?
Because it sure sounded like someone was arguing that emulators wouldn't be possible anyways since ther was no file manager on iOS. There was a file manager on iOS, you just had to use iTunes to actually interface with it.

Do you also have a concrete list of threads that these ROMs are now able to pose?

Mailia

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2010
Finland
Unless you are in the EU, in which case the app developer is restricting your choice as a consumer.
Unless? Are you saying that you have less options now than you did before DMA?

Also, this might be a tough pill for some people, but not every business has to cater to every consumer's need. If a single developer somewhere doesn't want to put an app up on your favourite store, they really don't have to.

Last edited:

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
Because it sure sounded like someone was arguing that emulators wouldn't be possible anyways since ther was no file manager on iOS. There was a file manager on iOS, you just had to use iTunes to actually interface with it.

You’re just bored and trying to win internet points.

There was no file manager on iOS at the time. You are confusing file system with file manager (which is always an app).

iTunes (and today the Finder) was able to drop files into an iOS app’s folder, but only if that iOS app supports importing that way. Some apps with built in stores do not allow importing documents (or roms) via iTunes, the Finder or even Files. It’s up to the developer.

Enjoy your weekend and treat people like adults.

UliBaer

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2024
Germany
The whole point to all this confusion is Apple$ laughable "Core Technology Fee". As if i have to pay intel 50 cents every time i install a new program on my PC, because they developed the "Core Technology" - Hello?! I bought this PC and it is mine, you already got my money down your greedy throat!

It is really ridiculous to see Apple fans bowing down to their master and even more defend this simple greed - i don't get it.

...and of course emulators are only "coincidentally" allowed now after the DMA, not to torpedo it... 🤣🤣🤣

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Bummer that it doesn't support scaling to an iPad screen and expects to only ever be used on an iPhone.

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
The DMA doesn’t dictate that Apple must allow emulators in the App Store, that’s an Apple decision.

App developers should be doing what is best for consumers, not what is best for the app developer. That means putting your apps on the App Store.

WRONG. The best thing for developers AND consumers is normal software installation, from the developer's website, with ZERO interference from Apple or their idiotic app store.

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
I downloaded Delta but I cannot load NES ROMs. But I can load SNES/N64 ROM games. Anyone else having this problem?

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
If I spend a weekend in London, is there a way to download it without having to install that cr*p alternative store? Or is it complicated to bypass that?

you don't need to be in London. you just need a British Apple ID, which is easy to set up. id forgotten til I read your post that I have a British account, I never log into it because I only set it up to get bbc player and itvx and stuff. logged out of my main account, logged into my uk account. downloaded delta. reversed. done in 30 seconds.

Reactions: nicolas_s

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
WRONG. The best thing for developers AND consumers is normal software installation, from the developer's website, with ZERO interference from Apple or their idiotic app store.

how does that benefit the consumer? as a consumer I find it easier to download from apple, and although its not perfect, I have more trust in software from the App Store. in this case I wouldn't have an issue with that one app, but as the situation becomes more common and other app stores are set up, its not going to be as simple as it was before.

Reactions: mrBeach and strongy

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022

The only way you could say this is if you are completely ignorant of current events or you are a scammer trying to encourage people to download malware laden apps. North Korean agents, fake support centers and pig butchering techniques are all over the web with these scams that steal money and data from Android phones and Windows users.

Last edited:

andreagrandi

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2020
Developers who release apps in alternate stores have to pay the CTF fee for apps in the Apple App Store. Apple's policies are the reason it isn't in Apple's App Store.
Imagine quoting so many people just to make it clear you don’t know what you are talking about 🤷🏻‍♂️

1) Delta IS on the App Store: but it’s only on US (and other non EU) one. Nobody is preventing the author to release Delta on EU App Store.

2) No need to offset costs of there are no costs (App Store doesn’t have CTF fees)

3) Alt Store limits the availability to iPhone while US users can install Delta on iPad from official App Store.

Please do your homework next time.

Thanks

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Imagine quoting so many people just to make it clear you don’t know what you are talking about 🤷🏻‍♂️
Backatcha
1) Delta IS on the App Store: but it’s only on US (and other non EU) one. Nobody is preventing the author to release Delta on EU App Store.
For Apple's new policies, the US Apple App Store is not considered to be the same thing as the EU App Store.
2) No need to offset costs of there are no costs (App Store doesn’t have CTF fees)
If the developer agrees to the new business terms in the EU that also allow them to distribute in alternative stores, they do have to pay the CTF fee once they pass a million downloads, regardless of where the apps were downloaded
From Apple's Website:

For developers who choose to agree to the new business terms, membership in the Apple Developer Program includes one million first annual installs per year for free for apps distributed from the App Store, Web Distribution, and/or alternative marketplaces. Developers who achieve exceptional scale on iOS, with apps that have over one million first annual installs in the past 12 months in the EU, will pay a Core Technology Fee.
The determining factor on whether the developer pays the CTF is not where the app is downloaded from. The determining factor is is whether the developer chooses to agree to the new business terms (and has over one million downloads in a rolling 12 month period)

3) Alt Store limits the availability to iPhone while US users can install Delta on iPad from official App Store.
OK? Did I say otherwise? I do acknowledge that that is one of the downsides of using an alternative store in the EU.
Please do your homework next time.

Thanks
I've now linked Apple's website that supports my assertation. Can you show me how I'm incorrect, with official documentation?

Last edited:

nicolas_s

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2020
you don't need to be in London. you just need a British Apple ID, which is easy to set up. id forgotten til I read your post that I have a British account, I never log into it because I only set it up to get bbc player and itvx and stuff. logged out of my main account, logged into my uk account. downloaded delta. reversed. done in 30 seconds.
Nice, thanks! I think it's a good idea to create an out of EU account just in case more developers start forcing us to install their stores to use their apps. There's a chance it will happen again.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

andreagrandi

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2020
Backatcha

For Apple's new policies, the US Apple App Store is not considered to be the same thing as the EU App Store.

If the developer agrees to the new business terms in the EU that also allow them to distribute in alternative stores, they do have to pay the CTF fee once they pass a million downloads, regardless of where the apps were downloaded
From Apple's Website:

For developers who choose to agree to the new business terms, membership in the Apple Developer Program includes one million first annual installs per year for free for apps distributed from the App Store, Web Distribution, and/or alternative marketplaces. Developers who achieve exceptional scale on iOS, with apps that have over one million first annual installs in the past 12 months in the EU, will pay a Core Technology Fee.
The determining factor on whether the developer pays the CTF is not where the app is downloaded from. The determining factor is is whether the developer chooses to agree to the new business terms (and has over one million downloads in a rolling 12 month period)

OK? Did I say otherwise? I do acknowledge that that is one of the downsides of using an alternative store in the EU.

I've now linked Apple's website that supports my assertation. Can you show me how I'm incorrect, with official documentation?
You said "Apple's policies are the reason it isn't in Apple's App Store." and I said it's not true. Apple policies are not preventing him to release the app on the official App Store in EU. Can YOU show me the policy which states this? You are the one who first said this is not possible because of Apple policies, not me.

Last but not least: he could have released Delta on the App Store WORLDWIDE. Why forcing EU users to use the Alt Store?

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
You said "Apple's policies are the reason it isn't in Apple's App Store." and I said it's not true. Apple policies are not preventing him to release the app on the official App Store in EU. Can YOU show me the policy which states this? You are the one who first said this is not possible because of Apple policies, not me.

Last but not least: he could have released Delta on the App Store WORLDWIDE. Why forcing EU users to use the Alt Store?
When I say "Apple's policies are the reason it isn't in Apple's App Store.", I mean that the policies dissuade—not completely prevent—him from releasing to the official App Store, because he'd have to pay a 50 cent per download fee to Apple. He could choose to go into debt by releasing a free app on the EU App Store, or he could make it a paid app.

He had already agreed to the new business terms, and couldn't say "oh, nevermind, I want the old terms again." And he has another app on his alternative store, and I believe the new business terms are at the developer level, not the individual app level, so he couldn't have gone back to the old terms—even if he were allowed—without sacrificing the rest of his business. The second app on his unofficial store is not allowed on the official App Store at all. Apple is completely preventing him from releasing his clipboard manager on the App Store.

Be honest, were you aware that he'd be required to pay the CTF for downloads from the official App Store if he also had apps on an alternative store?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.