Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have to insist that the key to dental hygiene is an electric toothbrush and using a Waterpik with a periodontal tip, augmented by flossing, hands down. My gum health issues, periodic bleeding gums, was corrected with these two devices. For myself, flossing alone is not adequate. IMO, it’s too much work to do it right.

While using my Waterpik this morning, I noticed some brown gloppy material coming out of the junction where the water tube meets the hand held tool. It’s the kind of stuff reminiscent of what is sometimes seen in a whirl pool tub, when it has not been run in a while, Algie-like growth in the water jets. Sounds and looks disgusting. I use my Waterpik regularly, but sometimes skip a day.

Of interest this brown material not was coming out the tip into my mouth, which made me wonder if the hand held tool has a filter, yet if a filter was clogged, why would anything be coming through the tip? Yet I don’t see a way to take it apart, and I looked online and the only cleaning instructions I found was how to clean a tip in vinegar, nothing about how to clean the internal guts of this machine or the hand held tool. I ran several tubs of water through the machine. Of note, I frequently use a 50-50 mixture of water and mouthwash in the Waterpik.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone experience this? Is it time I purchase a new Waterpik?

Last edited:

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
WaterPik is great for gums, interproximal and perio cleaninig, I always drain the water from the unit and tubing between uses to prevent build up of biofilm in the tubing etc.

It is quite inexpensive to replace the tubing and handle ($15) - just replaced mine not long ago - an easy replacement.

What a great product!

Reactions: Huntn

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
It's growth. Fairly harmless. You're supposed to detach all points and rinse them with cool running water after each use. Technically, you could go a few days between rinsing. You could also run a mild hydrogen peroxide solution through the unit.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
WaterPik is great for gums, interproximal and perio cleaninig, I always drain the water from the unit and tubing between uses to prevent build up of biofilm in the tubing etc.

It is quite inexpensive to replace the tubing and handle ($15) - just replaced mine not long ago - an easy replacement.

What a great product!
Tremendous product. :) Before I discovered this I had a dentist suggesting I needed to redo a crown because of persistent gum bleeding at a particular tooth... a little ledge was catching bacteria. The Waterpik solved this issue and my guns don't bleed at all.

It's growth. Fairly harmless. You're supposed to detach all points and rinse them with cool running water after each use. Technically, you could go a few days between rinsing. You could also run a mild hydrogen peroxide solution through the unit.

For both of you, how do you detach the tube... just pull it off?

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
They should have instructions on their website. For floss, I'm a huge fan of the Glide products. I like the silver box more because it's tackier and food and whatnot attach easier. The dark blue box is impregnated with CPC and tacky, so it should improve gum health while cleaning out. If you've got a Sam's or Costco membership, they sell the dark blue box in a pack of six or eight for under $12 most of the time. Whereas a two pack runs around $7 at other stores. No shredding, either.

It's very much like teflon tape. While at Costco a couple months ago, they had Listerine Total on sale in two packs for about the same price you'd pay for a large bottle at a regular store. They had a 2021 or 2022 date on them, so we picked up 4 packs.

I'd also suggest picking up the Dr. Tung tongue cleaner. Stainless steel, grippy handles, inexpensive. Night and day difference compared to cheap, plastic cleaners.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Tremendous product. :) Before I discovered this I had a dentist suggesting I needed to redo a crown because of persistent gum bleeding at a particular tooth... a little ledge was catching bacteria. The Waterpik solved this issue and my guns don't bleed at all.

For both of you, how do you detach the tube... just pull it off?

Mine cracked at the connection underneath and I removed the broken piece and reattached it - but then it started leaking at the handle - so I ordered the complete handle and tubing assemply at amazon and replace them both. 10 minutes and like new! :)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Three years later and I can attest to several things:
  • The purchase of a Sonicare toothbrush and a Waterpik with a periodontal tip is the best decision I’ve made regarding my teeth in my senior years. Yes, I still have my own teeth with many crowns. :) Easy to use and very effective. No bleeding gums since that point.
  • I‘ve verified that you can use a mixture of 50-50 hot water and antiseptic mouth wash and safely run this through the Waterpik without damaging it, and that is more effective (Imo) than using just water. :) After I’m finished, do run some plain water through the device to clean out any residual mouth wash in case that makes a long term difference to the device.
896857D7-C2ED-4208-BE07-729025A57ACC.jpeg
F18DB83A-B8DE-4CDB-9F11-08633A064149.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: millerj123

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Three years later and I can attest to several things:
  • The purchase of an Sonicare toothbrush and a Waterpik with a periodontal tip is the best decision I’ve made regarding my teeth in my senior years. Yes, I still have my own teeth with many crowns. :) Easy to use and very effective. No bleeding gums since that point.
  • I‘ve verified that you can use a mixture of 50-50 hot water and antiseptic mouth wash and safely run this through the Waterpik without damaging it, and that is more effective (Imo) than using just water. :) After I’m finished, do run some plain water through the device to clean out any residual mouth wash in case that makes a long term difference to the device.

I went with the Braun Oral-b, but also with Waterpik. I usually floss after lunch, though. My dentist just says "looks good, keep doing what you are doing"

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
images

I think the head rotates back and forth around the center, not vibrate. I never delved too far into which was better.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I believe the Braun has that vibration action too? Which is superior.

According to my sister who is a dentist/oral surgeon, there doesn’t really appear to be any superior type of electric toothbrush. The only scientific evidence that exists is that electric > manual toothbrushes.

It really comes down to what features you want. Last time I bought a new toothbrush Sonicare had an autoclave cleaning option. Oral-B had a remote screen with a clock and indicator of where to brush. Now they have Bluetooth and all sorts of nonsense.

I’ve used both. I think I like the Sonicare more because of the shape of the head. But honestly between one or the other really isn’t a big difference and after 2 days you’re used to it.

If it matters to you (or your spouse), the Sonicare seem to be quieter.

Either choice really shouldn’t make a negligible difference in terms of actual dental health.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
According to my sister who is a dentist/oral surgeon, there doesn’t really appear to be any superior type of electric toothbrush. The only scientific evidence that exists is that electric > manual toothbrushes.

It really comes down to what features you want. Last time I bought a new toothbrush Sonicare had an autoclave cleaning option. Oral-B had a remote screen with a clock and indicator of where to brush. Now they have Bluetooth and all sorts of nonsense.

I’ve used both. I think I like the Sonicare more because of the shape of the head. But honestly between one or the other really isn’t a big difference and after 2 days you’re used to it.

If it matters to you (or your spouse), the Sonicare seem to be quieter.

Either choice really shouldn’t make a negligible difference in terms of actual dental health.
Not to be argumentative but I‘ve seen some of the lesser cheaper models do not have the same action as the Sonicare and I assume the Oral-B, high speed vibration.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Not to be argumentative but I‘ve seen some of the lesser cheaper models do not have the same action as the Sonicare and I assume the Oral-B, high speed vibration.

Yeah, no I don’t disagree. I’m sure there are some garbage electric toothbrushes out there that don’t provide ideal vibration or won’t last more than a couple months. But even a cheap disposable electric toothbrush will still be better than a regular toothbrush.

Sonicare and Oral-B are the big players by far and assuming your actually investing $40-50 or more (as opposed to $10), there is nothing that really suggests one is better than the other.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have stopped using an alcohol based mouth wash. They always talk about the bad bacteria, but there is also good bacteria, and I‘ve decided that nuking all of the bacteria is not necessarily a good thing. The Waterpik flushing my gums between the teeth with water is good enough and I do have a non-alcohol anti-cavity mouthwash I use on occasion.

Reactions: shadow puppet

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
I stopped using alcohol mouthwash awhile ago. I'm currently using either Risewell or Hello.

When my Sonicare dies (I'm on number 2), I'll research what's my next purchase.

I use an Aquarius Waterpik & love it. My hygienist turned me onto it & was able to score a half price deal during an Amazon prime sale.

For floss I use Dr. Tungs. I'm going to try Cocofloss next.

For toothpaste, I'm still going back and forth on using a flouride toothpaste or not. I'm currently alternating and using Hello naturally whitening mint with flouride and on the flouride free hydroxyapatite toothpaste side, I use either Boka Ela Mint or Risewell.

I no longer have bleeding gums or the mouth sores some SLS toothpastes can cause. Dental cleanings are much shorter so that's a yay from me.

• Love

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I stopped using alcohol mouthwash awhile ago. I'm currently using either Risewell or Hello.

When my Sonicare dies (I'm on number 2), I'll research what's my next purchase.

I use an Aquarius Waterpik & love it. My hygienist turned me onto it & was able to score a half price deal during an Amazon prime sale.

For floss I use Dr. Tungs. I'm going to try Cocofloss next.

For toothpaste, I'm still going back and forth on using a flouride toothpaste or not. I'm currently alternating and using Hello naturally whitening mint with flouride and on the flouride free hydroxyapatite toothpaste side, I use either Boka Ela Mint or Risewell.

I no longer have bleeding gums or the mouth sores some SLS toothpastes can cause. Dental cleanings are much shorter so that's a yay from me.
The Water Pik will change anyone's dental prospects for the better. It seemed like I always had bleeding gums when the dentist cleaned my teeth, no longer. Be sure to use the periodontal tip. 👍

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Brush Your Teeth? This is one of those “could be “” issues. No worries, I brush mine, daily. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/health/silent-killer-disease-could-caused-30416846

One more repeat tip, why wear your arm out? Let technology do the work. The best thing you can do in defense against gun disease is get a SonicCare Tooth brush and a Waterpik Water Flosser, and use them daily. Years ago I was plagued by bleeding gums, noticed when I flossed. No more.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm seriously thinking about getting a waterpik. I'm not sure which one to get, but the Aquarius is on my short list. I want want with extra attachments for my family.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.