Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Bluetooth CAC readers have been around for years.
Yes they do.

not sure which DoD branch or division you work for, but no such thing exists in my division nor would something like that even remotely be allowed (even for DoD-issued Blackberry devices)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Just keep digging, bud. You're only embarrassing yourself further. You were not being sarcastic, perhaps exaggerating, because your statement lines up with your other just as misinformed posts.
Further, it doesn't matter where a debt is held, it matters who holds it. And as stated before it is held by Americans. Or were you just being sarcastic (you didn't even use the word correctly!) again?

And who is Dr. Cooper?

Ok, you mentioned the so called vet, but how useful is that? Yes the POTUS can veto the budget, yet, it'd be useless since you pretty much have a COngress that refuses to cut back spending. A DOD that refuses to take budget cuts and consumes budget more than 9 other developed countries combined (after the US).

Also, yes the Pentagon might be under direct command of the POTUS, but the budget still dictates.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Ok, you mentioned the so called vet, but how useful is that? Yes the POTUS can veto the budget, yet, it'd be useless since you pretty much have a COngress that refuses to cut back spending. A DOD that refuses to take budget cuts and consumes budget more than 9 other developed countries combined (after the US).

Also, yes the Pentagon might be under direct command of the POTUS, but the budget still dictates.

You are wrong. We have cut a lot of spending in the past 2+ years and the chart below doesn't factor in the sequester cuts.

DeficitReduction_fig2-1.png

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
You are wrong. We have cut a lot of spending in the past 2+ years and the chart below doesn't factor in the sequester cuts.

Nice, but that still doesn't mean spending is cut to levels acceptable. All those cuts are forced by the way because of the already high debt. Sequester is unfair to put it in since it is even more than forced.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR

Can you quote me on any of that? Maybe you replied to the wrong person. You seem to have trouble keeping your head straight.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Can you quote me on any of that? Maybe you replied to the wrong person. You seem to have trouble keeping your head straight.

I have three people quoting me. I'm just gonna give up since at this point, you aren't budging and I won't budge. Also, anymore and this might turn PSRI.

Edit - Nevermind, it did already.

Edit again - it was from the start.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
not sure which DoD branch or division you work for, but no such thing exists in my division nor would something like that even remotely be allowed (even for DoD-issued Blackberry devices)

They're for USAF-issued Blackberry phones.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
haha where does the CAC module plug into...the 30pin dock port?

gosh that would be obnoxious....
YEah the ones I saw floating around used the dock connector.

They're for USAF-issued Blackberry phones.

i guess we're a little more strict here in the Army then?

hmm...maybe it's just the division i am in

I think the sleds that no one seems to have around here were bluetooth as well, which may be why no one has them, lol.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
My first deployment to Iraq I had an iPod touch that I carried with me everywhere. I lived outside the wire and was constantly patrolling. Never damaged it.

Second deployment I took an iPad and another iPod touch. Never so much as a scratch on it and I didn't even use a MILSPEC case. My iPad just had the Apple case that came out with the iPad.

Funny I should have commented on this the day before...I never take my iPod on bike rides with me, but yesterday, I decided to. But, the one and only day I did was the one day I dropped it in water.

Lucky for me, the rice thing worked.

It's just me...I don't like bringing my expensive electronics where they might be damaged...I see lots of iPhones, iPod touches or Samsung Galaxy S3's with cracked screens.

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
User privileges within a system and source availability for that system are two entirely different things.

One would hope that military use of any OS would include modification of the system for their unusual need for a level of security which goes far beyond consumers'.

If this alleged purchase is for real, I hope the Pentagon also gets a limited source license with it.

At the kernel level, both OSes are POSIX and very similar in terms of separating system and user processes.

The main difference between iOS and Android in terms of security lies with app approval: both charge developers the same 30%, but Apple provides a more thorough review process for the money, while Google just pockets the money and acts only when complaints are filed against an app.

The second difference is the range of app stores: iOS has only one, but on Android you can turn off the lock that limits it to Google Play to install apps from other sources. While there may be any number of theoretical risks with Android (and in all fairness, more than a few with iOS too), the relatively rare case of actual exploit most commonly happens when installing apps from outside Google Play.

Neither model is perfect; each has tradeoffs, and given that iOS is distinguished by Apple's review process it's all the more notable when malware creeps into the iOS App Store, which may happen more rarely but has happened.

Regardless of which OS may be deployed, soldiers in the field should not be able to install random apps on it. Apple's review process is more thorough than Google's, but isn't perfect.

The risks of allowing soldiers to use the devices as consumers do is far too broad, including not only potential malware but more importantly inadvertent use of geolocation and other features common to consumer use but which could be deadly to a platoon or even an entire division in the battlefield.

As an AAPL holder, I can appreciate the feel-good of this possible purchase. But whether iOS is chosen or something else, I hope the Pentagon gets the source, and has limited license to modify the system for their unique requirements.

For the most part, well made post.

For the sake of keeping things simple and not revealing specific details, the DoD/DISA already has a plan as to what the mission requirements are, what the endstate is in regards to integrating the devices into their NetWarrior program.

The key differences are the app store points to a different location and users won't be able to update the OS version without special permissions and actions (no OTA updates for example). Only approved apps are allowed (no Facebook or Twitter to avoid Geotagging/Geocaching) emails are only allowed when sent to DoD-approved addresses.

The user will have access to apps that fit their mission requirements, like updated maps, compass/GPS, terrain information, weather, unit conversion software, technical manuals, etc. Their web browser will only allow users to connect to certain sites (limited to specific IP addresses pointing to DoD controlled sites only). The Settings menu will only offer limited changes like wallpaper, brightness controls, sound, etc.

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
Bluetooth CAC readers have been around for years..

Stop exaggerating. The DoD only recently implemented BT CAC access to mobile devices like iPhone/iPad. BaiMobile didn't get approval until very late 2012. Even then it's very limited on its use.

If you are a dual-status PIV-Preferred user, you can't use any BT CAC devices as of now. Also if you use DTS, you can't access it through mobile means because DBSign isn't CAC-aware on iPhones and iPads. In addition if you're device is jailbroken, there's been issues of it not working on those devices.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
Stop exaggerating. The DoD only recently implemented BT CAC access to mobile devices like iPhone/iPad. BaiMobile didn't get approval until very late 2012. Even then it's very limited on its use.

If you are a dual-status PIV-Preferred user, you can't use any BT CAC devices as of now. Also if you use DTS, you can't access it through mobile means because DBSign isn't CAC-aware on iPhones and iPads. In addition if you're device is jailbroken, there's been issues of it not working on those devices.

I got my Bluetooth CAC-enabled Blackberry late 2010; the guy who I replaced had one for at least a year prior to that.

Last edited:

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
I got my Bluetooth CAC-enabled Blackberry late 2010; the guy who I replaced had one for at least a year prior to that.

That program is limited-use and only a pilot program for what is completely different system for what the iOS program will eventually replace. The BT CAC for your device is not really a benefit to the majority of DoD users because its primary focus is towards AKO mail (which is already being shut down and moved over towards Enterprise mail) and those who still receive AKO email can still access it using manual login for their devices' IMAP services, however ENT mail is CAC only.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
That program is limited-use and only a pilot program for what is completely different system for what the iOS program will eventually replace. The BT CAC for your device is not really a benefit to the majority of DoD users because its primary focus is towards AKO mail (which is already being shut down and moved over towards Enterprise mail) and those who still receive AKO email can still access it using manual login for their devices' IMAP services, however ENT mail is CAC only.

Seeing as how I'm not in the Army and have little use for AKO I doubt that was the intent. I used it for email only...not sure what else it could do...

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
Seeing as how I'm not in the Army and have little use for AKO I doubt that was the intent. I used it for email only...not sure what else it could do...

AKO was just an example, you could use DKO, JKO or whatever's relevant to your occupation.

I was a contractor working for a company involved in the developmental stages of the BT CAC initiative program. Long story short, the DoD didn't like how email could be accessed through traditional username/pass and wanted all emails to be CAC only, hence why more content (now) is available through CAC access than manual password access. They only piloted the program for BB's because the RIM network already provided for 256bit AES encryption. The endstate of the program wasn't to use BB's but iOS and Android devices (since there's much more development and support) for more useful apps in addition to access to the DoD mobile network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.