Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
Does anyone know if the upcoming PowerBooks will still have the curent titanium casing, or will there be a change in the design?
Also, will they have ddr sdram, dual processers(if possible), 2xsuperdrive, etc...?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
400mhz DDRRAM, Platinum casing, quad processors, 4x DVD-R :p

Nah but seriously, maybe a 2x DVD-R... dual processors are doubtful, DDR RAM is probable, but i wouldnt want to gaurantee anything... and i wouldnt expect a drastic powerbook redesign until the G5 comes out (they may make a minor change to it though)

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
yeah....i can't remeber where, but i saw somewhere that they are thinking of changing the design on the upcoming ones, but i dont know what they will change...but i guess if there is not a major change i will get 1ghz w/superdrive after the newer ones are released, so that i can get it cheap!:D

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
There won't be any changes anytime soon. Maybe a 2x DVD-R, but otherwise there probably won't be any big changes for at least 5-6 months.

DDR is a possibility, but then we'll all be complaining about the heat, lower battery life, and the fact that it isn't being fully utilized.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by solvs
There won't be any changes anytime soon. Maybe a 2x DVD-R, but otherwise there probably won't be any big changes for at least 5-6 months.

the new line probably wont be released untill 5-6months from now anyways...and ddr would definately be nice.

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
No Known nose knows now...

I may not know anything... but I would send pizza's to the Powerbook team if they were to put High Definition Displays on Powerbooks. The video systems can handle it and it's a very moderate cost difference to implement the change in the manufacturing process.

:cool:

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Re: No Known nose knows now...

Originally posted by BenderBot1138
I may not know anything... but I would send pizza's to the Powerbook team if they were to put High Definition Displays on Powerbooks. The video systems can handle it and it's a very moderate cost difference to implement the change in the manufacturing process.

Since pixel density affects the cost of the LCD panel, it would still make for a much more expensive machine.

Additionally, while 1600x1024 may be available in the future, it is unlikely you'll be seeing 1920x1200 in a Ti, as the costs would be enormous, and the pixels may be too small for users with glasses/contacts

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
Re: Re: No Known nose knows now...

Originally posted by Nipsy

Since pixel density affects the cost of the LCD panel, it would still make for a much more expensive machine.

Additionally, while 1600x1024 may be available in the future, it is unlikely you'll be seeing 1920x1200 in a Ti, as the costs would be enormous, and the pixels may be too small for users with glasses/contacts

If Apple began implementing High Definition on all it's displays, for example on a Powerbook, would you be willing to pay an extra $300-500.00 for the high end model? I'm really interested in this. I see it as strong marketing point to distinguish yet further Apple from it's competitors by continuing to extend the quality differences in high end offerings, and marketing quality is a critical point when squaring off with the more sucessful, but less inovative and polished non-Apple competitors.

I suppose it could be said that Apple has correctly offered a High Definition Display in its 23 inch display, and thus has taken care of the high end customer.

Consider, however, the cost difference between the 22 and 23 inch Apple Cinema Displays. At 2499 to 3499 (about a 7/10 comparison), the costs are not dramatically different. Take into consideration that the higher cost includes an extra inch of display dimension, and the 7/10 comparison may be even less.

I don't see the cost difference at this time as a vast expanse or something that might be unfordable across the board in all Apples in the near future (given a greater demand in the manufactured market and thus lowering of cost).

Imagine the draw to the general public to be able to say: "If you buy an Apple Computer, you'll have High Definition."

Good points though Nipsy, can't deny the general concerns or logic of your argument at all. What do you make of the above qualifiers?

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
I think the next major PowerBook revision will be a total redesign. Of course I think Apple may give us a 2X superdrive in January...but that is it. Perhaps the low-end TiBook could be dropped to $1999. $2299 (or higher) has been the low-end price since the first G3 PowerBook.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
So, there might be an update on the current model and maybe a price drop in MWSF, even though they were just introduced in November?

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Yep...Apple has updated drives before after a month or two. As far as price cuts...that is more of a hope thing. It is never out of the question though. The low-end price of $2299-2499 has been around since the first G3 powerbook. Most companies lower prices each year...not Apple.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Sure...on the iBooks...it isn't going to happen. I can see the TiBook going down another $100 sooner or later.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The only change I really expect is a better AirPort antenna implementation so it actually works well.

Of course, I would hope for faster FireWire and USB 2.0 connections along with enhanced displays and processors.

thedude

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2001
I know, you've heard it before but here it goes...

my friend works at apple and suggested that 2003 will be the year for a design shift in the mobile lineup. He said the next major revision will be a huge departure from traditional notebook design. Wireless networking being a major factor. With rendezvous, this makes sense.

I'm assuming that summer is a timeframe for the next update, and your guess is as good as mine for what it actually includes.

Again, I know that this really means nothing, just thought that everyone might want some rumor nuggets to munch on until the macworld stuff starts up.;)

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Well, i have to say, id like all the things mentioned here, but what i want first is a change to the casing.

Now i know everyone loves the titanium, it looks cool and all but damn you have to really take care of it.

I got the 1Ghz PB recently and it looks great but i left it beside my old ti powerbook and the difference was amazing, chipped paint dents on both sides and the colour had slightly faded.

For somebody who uses it a lot and is moving from bag to bag and so on, it gets really annoying.

Well thats my take on it.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
The Ti case will be replaced by...

... white keyboard and display area on the inside; chrome areas when closed, with a transparent (clear) outer casing. Shiny chrome and clear, rather than the frosted look of the icebook. It'll still have a propensity to scratch, unfortunately.

Pure speculation of course... Actually I don't see how anyone could make a more beautiful laptop than the TiBook. Sure, it's delicate; Apple could make it more rugged. Stainless steel, perhaps? It's definitely in style for kitchens.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Re: The Ti case will be replaced by...

Originally posted by cubist
... white keyboard and display area on the inside; chrome areas when closed, with a transparent (clear) outer casing. Shiny chrome and clear, rather than the frosted look of the icebook. It'll still have a propensity to scratch, unfortunately.

Pure speculation of course... Actually I don't see how anyone could make a more beautiful laptop than the TiBook. Sure, it's delicate; Apple could make it more rugged. Stainless steel, perhaps? It's definitely in style for kitchens.

Anything other than titanium will up the lbs. That will suck. However, I believe Apple will address the case concerns due to poor Airport reception and durability.

Funkatation

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2001
DDR RAM does not consume more power, or generate more heat than SDRAM. it actually runs at a lower voltage, thereby consuming less power, and generating less heat than SDRAM. Just thought i'd point that out =)

Computer_Phreak

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2002
Originally posted by Funkatation
DDR RAM does not consume more power, or generate more heat than SDRAM. it actually runs at a lower voltage, thereby consuming less power, and generating less heat than SDRAM. Just thought i'd point that out =)

well if you consider that DDR RAM is..

DDR SDRAM

then...

Originally posted by Jaykay
Well, i have to say, id like all the things mentioned here, but what i want first is a change to the casing.

Yeah, I'm hoping for the same casing change. I'm totally happy about anything else. Well, except for the AirPort reception maybe...

In my experience through two TiBooks (400 and 800), it seems like that the whiter paint part in the middle chips off real easily. Apple could just change that lighter paint to the dark metalic one, and the paint issue will be solved :)

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
I seriously hope nothing major will change in upcoming powerbooks.. because i am getting 1ghz one heheh :D

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by Megaquad
I seriously hope nothing major will change in upcoming powerbooks.. because i am getting 1ghz one heheh :D

That's lame. You have to ruin it for the rest of us?

8trackmac

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2002
Bellingham, WA
update...hmmm.

as far as airport goes, didn't they fix/enhance that in the new models?(my 1ghz certainly seems to receive well). I could see a real possibility for a new laptop design, but not a ibook/powerbook. something new. why else would they drop the price so much on them?
eh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.