Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by JSRockit

That's lame. You have to ruin it for the rest of us?
yes? :p
seriously my hope can't change anything but this is what am i hoping for next powerbooks
same screen
cpu..maybe little faster, 1.13 ghz or something
same disk
same graphics
maybe some faster superdrive
it wont boot to os9 (while mine will:D )

jkojima

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
Let's look at the technologies that are fairly common on the PC side, and that Apple has yet to implement in its portables:

USB 2.0
Built-in BlueTooth (or an internally-held expansion card)
DDR Memory
Hardware-based variable bus timing

These have been discussed at length in these forums and I think are the most likely candidates for the next "major" revision to the portable lineup.

The tablet PC phoenomenon is interesting. Microsoft only expects a few hundred thousand units to be sold in its first year, which, to them, represents more of a test market than a viable business unit at this point in time. Apple, however, is a niche player in the industry and such a technology, if aggressively developed by the company, could represent a potential opportunity for the company to capture market share. A hundred thousand units to Apple would be a nice additional revenue stream. So, while I still don't think it is likely they will come out with a tablet any time soon, this is one argument supporting that possibility. Of course, being the market follower and having to overcome Microsoft's marketing efforts to link its brand with the tablet PC concept would mean Apple would have to spend BIG money on both R&D and promotion. That's money I don't think they have. So, personally, I think Apple will steer clear of the tablet PC market and introduce either an alternative, or invent a whole new product category that hasn't yet been seen on the market.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
How about kevlar-carbon casings: light, strong and good looking!
Imagine an Apple logo weaved into the fibers!

Probably be terrible at heat dissipation though

ColdAngel

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2002
France
Have to

I am IT student and I plan to buy a PowerBook but never before :

USB2
Firewire2
Built-in Bluetooth

I really hope a new design, and DDR, top video card, hard freq change, and has dream ;

A tablete writing area below the keybord and bi-pro

Mr. Dibbs

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2002
USA
what about the 970?

i know this is way the hell off, but out of curiosity, the ppc 970 uses both copper, and SOI, as well as a smaller dye... and the G5 will likely be quite powerhungry if it's made with aluminum as is motorola's bad habit. so the question is, if it runs starting at 1.4 [or was it 1.8?] GHz, then, wouldn't it be conceievable to see a 970 in portables first? I mean who cares about a power efficient desktop? it's plugged into the wall. then that would leave the gap for iBooks to inherit the G4 as an inferior processor. apple already has IBM doing the G3 chips for the iBooks, and IBM, IIRC, has optimized the hell out of the G3, getting it running at a cool GHz and some change. just a thought.

oh, and I'm plenty happy about the radeon 9000 mobilitys being used in the portables. I wouldn't think apple should update the video chipset till Nvidia comes out with their big honkin FX chipset.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Re: Have to

Originally posted by ColdAngel

USB2
Firewire2
Built-in Bluetooth

I really hope a new design, and DDR, top video card, hard freq change, and has dream ;

Why do you need USB 2.0? Most of stuff comes in firewire, and if you really need it you can get PCMCIA USB 2.0 adapter

Firewire 2? you wont buy PB without FW2? wtf?
we cant even know for sure if that technology exists, and why would anyone need such a high bandwidth? besides if it even somehow gets out there wont be much devices that are compatible with it for a long time and they might be expensive as hell

built-in bluetooth, true that i wish powerbook has one..but for now the only solution seem those usb adapters..

Flickta

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2002
Born in USSR
Personally i would like the paint ("Titanium"... ) not to vanish into the thin air in a month... Seriously, why isn't it more durable? For $3000?

ColdAngel

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2002
France
Why USB2 ?
Beacause all PC have FireWire now, if Apple don't have some + for the price tag, they will lose share.
And more and more device are using USB2

And fot the look, it's been more than 2 years since the first Ti, hey gut show us some think new, I have to hadmit I love it but a litle redisign will help. To get rid of the peinture pb, I thougt about a darker case ? With Airport anthena outside and keep that super cool TI.

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
gotta say i love my TiBook and its held up pretty well (dont know WHAT flickta is talking about...my paint is just dandy). i think we wont see major design changes till the new chip comes out...then i think all the lines will get an overhaul. It will be hard to beat this design, and if it is drastically changed i will probably keep this one and just hit up my family up for money for a new one. I have a cube i dont really use but im not getting rid of it...its art. so is my TiBook (though i use it almost exclusively :) ).

ColdAngel

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2002
France
Yes but 2 years is still a long time.
And now a computer is not a processeur it's more the stuff arround that mater.
I don't ask for a full redisign just some change, I will love a darker one.

And your're right it's defenitly a piece of art.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC

USB2
Firewire2
Built-in Bluetooth

I guess you are never buying one then?

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000

Before...
No matter how bad mac users hate PCs, USB2 will be implemented eventually, probably within the next year, probably a couple months after firewire2 is released.
Firewire2
See above.
Built-in Bluetooth
I know you want to be cutting edge, but ask yourself if you truly need bluetooth. That said, bluetooth is not that widespread within PC laptops, but I see Apple implementing bluetooth soon. Probably the next revision or so.
I really hope a new design, and DDR, top video card, hard freq change
Very possible, the DDR will probably make its way into the next revision or the one after that. As for the graphics card, I'm not sure Apple will do that again, but here's to hoping. As for the case design, I'm predicting a new paint job. ;)
, and has dream ;

You really got to word that a little better, I know that you meant it as a dream, or a hope you did.;) DUAL PROCESSORS IN A LAPTOP WILL NOT HAPPEN UNLESS THEY CAN DISSIPATE THE HEAT AND INCLUDE A 120 W-hr battery (the current one is 61 W-hr;))

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Re: Re: Have to

Originally posted by Over Achiever

Very possible, the DDR will probably make its way into the next revision or the one after that. As for the graphics card, I'm not sure Apple will do that again, but here's to hoping. /QUOTE]

There isn't a better video card to put in the TiBook is there?

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Re: Re: Re: Have to

Originally posted by JSRockit
There isn't a better video card to put in the TiBook is there?

Not currently. Nvidia has a better performing chip (can't remember the name) which is great for gaming portables. Bad for power comsumption.

I started a thread on this, but no one seems to care.
Click me.

But like they say...new technology is always around the corner...in a year we'll have a new chip ;) but apple may be content to stay with the current chip.

This is all speculation ;)

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Didn't realize that the nvidia was considered better...do you know any current laptops using it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.