Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
A lot of talk about if the iPad pro is really a professional type of machine. One of the main issues (aside from any hardware limitations) is that it won't run full desktop powered apps.
What fully capable apps do people want or expect to appear in time for the iPad pro's release? Microsoft and Adobe have already stated they working on updates or new apps for the iPad pro. Apple have also significantly given the iPad pro a lot more horsepower than iPad air 2.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
The iPad already does fully run desktop application such as iWorks (Pages, Numbers & Keynotes), MS Office 365 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote & Outlook.) as well as photo editor pixalmator. Adobe will be launching Creative Cloud Mobile Apps such as Photoshop Fix and Photoshop Sketch. If Adobe's leak of 4GB of RAM in the iPad Pro is true, we will defiantly see more Desktop class apps. The iPad Pro may not run OS X, but that doesn't mean, developers can't make their desktop app fit for the iOS.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
A lot of talk about if the iPad pro is really a professional type of machine. One of the main issues (aside from any hardware limitations) is that it won't run full desktop powered apps.
What fully capable apps do people want or expect to appear in time for the iPad pro's release? Microsoft and Adobe have already stated they working on updates or new apps for the iPad pro. Apple have also significantly given the iPad pro a lot more horsepower than iPad air 2.

It doesn't run desktop Apps, it runs iPad Apps.

You can connect to your PC, using an App, and use it like a Wacom Cintiq, but better...

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
I certainly hope that desktop style apps don't get released for the iPad pro. The simple fact for iPad apps is that they are more efficient at doing similar tasks than their desktop counterparts. It's just an issue for increasing power and capability for the apps so they can process better than their desktop counterparts. For me, I hope there is a DxO app coming so we can get DxO style RAW processing without the junk in the desktop version. Same goes for photoshop, Lightroom, and illustrator. I want to save time processing because that's time better spent on business activities or for other more important things.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Canada
Very true... Never really put much thought into it comparing older Macs but it's a compelling argument. Perhaps something that should be tested a bit when they're released?

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
The iPad already does fully run desktop application such as iWorks (Pages, Numbers & Keynotes), MS Office 365 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote & Outlook.) as well as photo editor pixalmator. Adobe will be launching Creative Cloud Mobile Apps such as Photoshop Fix and Photoshop Sketch. If Adobe's leak of 4GB of RAM in the iPad Pro is true, we will defiantly see more Desktop class apps. The iPad Pro may not run OS X, but that doesn't mean, developers can't make their desktop app fit for the iOS.

Yes, im pretty sure Adobe will launch alot of CC apps with premium packs (in-app purchace) for getting more and more money from the users monthly. They just removed their "pay once app" from Appstore (PSTouch)... so, for a some reason, im not so excited about adobe's plans...

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The iPad already does fully run desktop application such as iWorks (Pages, Numbers & Keynotes), MS Office 365 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote & Outlook.) as well as photo editor pixalmator. Adobe will be launching Creative Cloud Mobile Apps such as Photoshop Fix and Photoshop Sketch. If Adobe's leak of 4GB of RAM in the iPad Pro is true, we will defiantly see more Desktop class apps.
Not quite.

iWork for iOS is not a desktop application... at least not when compared to iWork 09. iWork for OSX was severely downgraded functionally in order to provide functional parity with iOS.

MS Office for iPad is NOT a desktop application. Again, it is far more limited than its OSX and Windows versions.

Same goes for Pixelmator.

That is not to say that serious work can't get done on iPads. But lets not claim that these are "desktop class" apps.

The iPad Pro may not run OS X, but that doesn't mean, developers can't make their desktop app fit for the iOS.
Actually, that's what it DOES mean. Developers will not be able to create desktop level apps for iOS until Apple opens up iOS and offers comparable services/APIs to it as it does OSX. Apple deliberately restricts what iOS apps can do on iOS compared to what OSX apps can do on OSX. That is intentional and a well-considered design.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
I think it will be definitely happen in the future a lot more desktop style apps like Photoshop, Final Cut Pro and will get close nearer to the functionally of there here desktop counter parts but in IOS form. :)

Glad that Ipad Pro runs IOS not OSX and since Ipad Pro is real and runs IOS then i really think IOS will get a lot more advanced and not as limiting on the future! :)

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
This is going to come down to how fast this device REALLY is.

Irrespective of Apple's marketing speak, lets put an iPad Pro up against, say an Intel i5 CPU. A very very common medium range chips these days, which can run full desktop apps very well.
Photoshop, Autocad etc etc.

Would this then show just how slow the iPad Pro is?
Not slow for a tablet, but slow when up against a normal household PC or iMac?

Can't be THAT hard for someone to write the same/similar code to do various tasks under iOS and on a windows Machine so we can all get a idea of where we are in reality.

I'm sure we'd all love to know the truth.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
I believe that the ipad pro is not designed to run desktop apps in the future. Rather it is designed to connect to a creative cloud where it will run desktop apps within the cloud - in other words the *future* of PCs according to Apple, Adobe, Microsoft, is subscription based applications and storage, not ownership of applications or personal storage devices. I believe that in their perfect corporate world mindset, dependency on subscriptions is much more profitable than independent proprietorship of software and hardware.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Irrespective of Apple's marketing speak, lets put an iPad Pro up against, say an Intel i5 CPU. A very very common medium range chips these days, which can run full desktop apps very well.

The A9x seems likely to compare well against an i5, but will probably have better graphics than the current intel on chip HD graphics. Pushing around 3 4k video streams suggests either a lot of cpu power or a lot of optimization. Unclear to me why anyone would want to video edit on a tablet--ergonomic disaster

Last edited:

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I believe that the ipad pro is not designed to run desktop apps in the future. Rather it is designed to connect to a creative cloud where it will run desktop apps within the cloud - in other words the *future* of PCs according to Apple, Adobe, Microsoft, is subscription based applications and storage, not ownership of applications or personal storage devices. I believe that in their perfect corporate world mindset, dependency on subscriptions is much more profitable than independent proprietorship of software and hardware.

The desktop designation goes more to the issue of full functionality--not purchase vs subscription.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
The desktop designation goes more to the issue of full functionality--not purchase vs subscription.

My point was that without the cloud the ipad pro has no desktop functionality , the cloud would have that capability.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Well, the new iA Writer went the full nine yards and has a OS X menu bar that's more optimized for touch.

IMG_0869.PNG

I kinda expect more apps to go this way instead of using cogs, paintbrushes, tabs, etc. That would make room for customized toolbars.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
My point was that without the cloud the ipad pro has no desktop functionality , the cloud would have that capability.
So the ipad pro will run full desktop apps in the cloud thru some sort of emulation? Dont you need a desktop processor to run desktop applications. Just trying to understand

Last edited:

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
Apple deliberately restricts what iOS apps can do on iOS compared to what OSX apps can do on OSX. That is intentional and a well-considered design.

And a contradiction of what they are trying to achieve with the iPad Pro...

Glad that Ipad Pro runs IOS not OSX and since Ipad Pro is real and runs IOS then i really think IOS will get a lot more advanced and not as limiting on the future! :)

One can only hope :rolleyes:

Here's a quote from another thread;

"I think the way to ultimately solve this would be to separate iOS builds between iPhone and iPad so that iOS for iPad can move forward without being held back by the iPhone's smaller screen and lesser power, because lets face it, the iPad hardware has moved forward leaps and bounds, it's just the OS that has not. All this aside, realistically at this point in time all we can hope for is extra features in iOS9.1 beta"

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-added-to-ios-to-better-the-ipad-pro.1915565/

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
It doesn't run desktop Apps, it runs iPad Apps.

You can connect to your PC, using an App, and use it like a Wacom Cintiq, but better...
If you're talking about astropad, it's not better than a cintiq. Not by a long shot. Unless it's improved drastically for the pro it's not really in the same ballpark. It can save money if you were planning on having an iPad pro and a desktop anyway, but it's currently not up to speed. Everyone commenting on how great the Apple Pencil is are going on about latency and suchlike, those things aren't great in astropad at all, also there's weird motion compression.

(- someone who owns a Cintiq and an iPad with Astropad.)

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
If you're talking about astropad, it's not better than a cintiq. Not by a long shot. Unless it's improved drastically for the pro it's not really in the same ballpark. It can save money if you were planning on having an iPad pro and a desktop anyway, but it's currently not up to speed. Everyone commenting on how great the Apple Pencil is are going on about latency and suchlike, those things aren't great in astropad at all, also there's weird motion compression.

(- someone who owns a Cintiq and an iPad with Astropad.)

And what if Apple introduces USB 3.0 with the iPad Pro?

That's right...

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
And what if Apple introduces USB 3.0 with the iPad Pro?

That's right...
Well that really depends, doesn't it? So far astropad isn't perfect, has compression weirdness and can't do tilt sensing yet.. But while we're talking about unreleased products - who's to say Wacom won't have fancier small cintiqs out too? Most people buying cintiqs consider the 13" to be too small and buy the 22 or 24" models. You can't really think the iPad pro is "better" than those? :D

There'll also be some very weird resolution considerations with this ridiculously high ppi display being a tablet.. At least with a cintiq you have a full resolution monitor with everything that entails, with astropad it's a lot hackier - but even with full screen mirroring, nobody has screens that resolution so you end up having to zoom and draw in a weird section of the screen.

I'm not dissing astropad, I really like it, but it's a bit fiddlier and less immediate than using a cintiq. (I love how you can do astropad wirelessly though, so cool being able to do photoshop around the house on iPad..)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.