Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
Any information on the supposed Qualcomm chip? Specifically, will Verizon users FINALLY have access to simultaneous voice/data over LTE?

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
This feels bogus.

Apple will NOT include NFC, tech sites expressed that there is no realistically usable internal-smartphone speed throughput above Wifi 802.11n speeds within current smartphone technology, and I believe will NOT release 2 sizes of an iPhone 6.

The iPhone 6 will be 4.7", 802.11n, somehow better/tweaked TouchID and have NO NFC.

That's my bets.

Last edited:

AtomicDusk

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
San Diego
I've got it! Of course there's no sapphire on the 6. And there won't be any on the iWatch (if that even exists).

The sapphire plant is making thousands of little panels to re-do the cube on 5th Ave!

Right?

Totally qualified to be an analyst here!:rolleyes:

bdorry

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2009
This feels bogus.

Apple will NOT include NFC, tech sites expressed that there is no realistically usable Wifi bandwidth above 802.11n, and I believe will NOT release 2 sizes of an iPhone 6.

The iPhone 6 will be 4.7", 802.11n, somehow better/tweaked TouchID and have NO NFC.

That's my bets.

Why would Apple release 802.11ac wireless routers and laptops if it wasn't usable? The iPhone will move to 802.11ac even if it isn't with this iteration.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Probably Note 4 will have 64 bit with 4 Gb Ram
Nope, Note 4 specs leaked a week or so ago, no 64bit yet, same cpu as Galaxy S5, more ghz 3gb RAM, new health sensors, same resolution as the latest tab S (3K about same as iMac 27), not much bloated since Google forces samsung to restrict further it's device personalization, will have a more android std look. May have an all new body design, fingerprint scanner, no more it's know, and as usual will launch a week earlier than the new iPhone.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
You are not making any sense.
You know what makes no sense? To tell Apple what to do, if they want to get into mobile payments. How big is the Apple Ecosystem again? Me thinks they knows a little about, how to get paid on mobile. If they do not prioritize NFC, they must have own reasons. If you don't like their priorities, buy somewhere else. It is that simple – really.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
This are the odds I give to the new iPhone rumours.

4.7" iPhone : 100%

5.5" iPhone: 33%

Sapphire screen: 90% for 4.7" iPhone, 20% for 5.5 iDevice.

Waterproof: 50%

NFC : 60%

Higher screen resolution than current iPhone : 100%

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
i've got it! Of course there's no sapphire on the 6. And there won't be any on the iwatch (if that even exists).

The sapphire plant is making thousands of little panels to re-do the cube on 5th ave!

Right?

Totally qualified to be an analyst here!:rolleyes:

.. No

age234

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2004
If there's no sapphire then I'm done with Apple, seriously.

I'm just so sick of these lame upgrades.

We keep getting teased with great rumours only to be disappointed and heartbroken when the product finally arrives.

I'll be getting a Samsung. They might be unoriginal but at least they're keeping up with the technology curve.

:rolleyes: Seriously?

Jumping ship because Apple is using one hard crystalline material for the screen instead of another hard crystalline material? Not to mention it's still all rumors and hype at this point?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Touchless payments?

Can't this be done with low power blue tooth?

Please do not mistake my comments as dismissive. Since NFC has been out long before the original iPhone all over the world, and with Apple being all over the world, why haven't we seen it before now?

I for one think it is interesting, and will be pleasantly surprised if they do, but I am still a little skeptical.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
Really don't like the round edge design.

The first few iPhones had the round edges and when they released the iPhone 4 it was beautiful. Like they trimmed off the baby fat and had a sleek slate design that also works better with cases and add on attachments.

Although I also like the 5(S) shape I was also never a fan of its two-tone color scheme and mixed materials for the back of the phone. I've come to accept it. I still think the 4(S) was the nicest design overall. Wrapping a stainless steel band around the phone that acted as both exoskeleton and its antenna was brilliant and classy. It hid the functionality into the design unlike the 5(S) which clearly shows its functionality in the way it changes materials on the top and bottom of the backside to let radio signals through. As Steve Jobs said about the iphone 4, its like an old Leica camera. Beautiful.

So the idea that they would go back to a fattened up round edge design(even if they make it thinner) just turns me off completely. Especially if they also do the two-tone 5(S) thing. Just seems like Jony Ive is phoning it in at that point. Like he just decided to give up and make the same boring design as every Android phone out there.

So I really hope we don't see those round edges come September.

You seem to think that the shape of the iPhone is entirely dictated by aesthetic considerations and that they chose this shape because they thought it looked good or wanted to make it different from previous phones.

What if there is a technical reason behind the choice of this shape? What if the goal is to make the iPhone more resistant to bending and impacts?

While it's not a widespread problem, the iPhone 5/5S is known to bend if you sit on it the wrong way. Keeping the same design and reducing the thickness to 6.1mm would accentuate this problem.

The arch shape is the strongest geometrical shape that exist. The rounded edges of the iPhone 6 will likely make it much more resistant to bending than the 5/5S, even if it's thinner and larger.

While you could find examples of Apple putting form over function, they usually do the opposite. I think the same will apply to the thick antenna bands, which are thicker for a technical reason, not because Ive felt they would look good.

Suffa

macrumors member
May 11, 2013
If the rumors are correct and the iPhone 6 turns out to be like the mockups, I for sure won't buy that piece of ugly ass ****, no elegance like the iPhone 5. Problem is I don't know what else to buy, I don't want Samsung ****ing plastic ****.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
More less you're right, I doubt there is coming a 5.5" iPhone, will sell? Sure will sell more than android Phablets, but android Phablets still account only 5% of the flagship smartphone market, further a big % of Phablet owner return to more handy 4.5" device (as I did moving from a note 2 to an HTC M8), but there is an big market for 5.5" gaming device much more bigger and profitable than Phablet market, thus all the leaks on the 5.5 iDevice lacks the back casing so we didn't see yet if this device has radio antennae cutout or Windows as the iPhone5, it's intriguing, but the of this device it's an iTouch has sense an 5.5" iTouch will be an true and legitimate PSP killer, an juicy market.

Also Don't get surprised if that 5.5 iTouch also comes with lower resolution (same as current iPhone5) than the 4.7" iPhone, since this must be much cheaper than an mini iPad, also current resolution will sell good save cost and battery life, requiring no software modificación since games will run same as on an iPhone5.

If you think there is a big market for a single purpose non-phone pocket device, look at ipod sales, psp sales, Nintendo...

You are way off.
Phones are the new handheld gaming devices, like it or not.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
If the rumors are correct and the iPhone 6 turns out to be like the mockups, I for sure won't buy that piece of ugly ass ****, no elegance like the iPhone 5. Problem is I don't know what else to buy, I don't want Samsung ****ing plastic ****.

iphone 5 was introduced like a jewellery . iphone 6??

jlabute

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
HD Audio or OIS?

Any word if either of these will be included? HiDef Audio or Optical Image Stabilization?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
If they want to get into mobile payments, they have to. Most new POS terminals already support NFC. In a few years time, every POS terminal will be able to support contactless payments using NFC.

NFC is exceptionally useful in two cases:
- Transit
- Payments

And what most people seem to be forgetting, is that NFC actually is being widely used throughout the world. Just not with phones, but with cards. NFC is already here and it's already being used extensively throughout the world (except the US, which is why most people here don't understand the use :) ).

What can a phone with NFC do?
- Replace your transit card
- Replace your debit or credit card
- Receive vouchers
- Receive receipts

That's what the use of NFC is, not something like "bump and share", which is something Apple made fun of.

Tell me, NFC-guru, with all that said what percentage do you think iPhone 6 will likely have NFC?

Last edited:

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
In a few years time, people won't have to walk anymore. There will be moving walkways and escalators everywhere, on every street and every staircase. That's what they told my mother, when she was a little girl. :eek:

She's still kinda disappointed about the future. :p
Yes, but the big difference is that future I sketched is already here, just not in the US. NFC payments and NFC transit cards are currently already being used in large volumes in a wide variety of countries.

----------

OK, NFC-guru, with all that said what percentage do you think iPhone 6 will likely have NFC?
I have no idea. Depends on how much Apple cares about mobile payments or transit (transit probably not so much).

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
This feels bogus.

Apple will NOT include NFC, tech sites expressed that there is no realistically usable internal-smartphone speed throughput above Wifi 802.11n speeds within current smartphone technology, and I believe will NOT release 2 sizes of an iPhone 6.

That's my bets.

I like your bet a lot.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
The 5/5S looks pretty blocky and dated next to the new shape.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing but I have the 3s and the 4s and the 4s is blockier but easier to hang onto with the edges…
Going to have to take some time figuring out if I want the 5s or the 4.7
I want the 64 gig so I may end having to buy the 5s used as I suppose they won't sell the 64 gig 5s new once the 6 is out?
Anticipation…..

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
[/COLOR]I have no idea. Depends on how much Apple cares about mobile payments or transit (transit probably not so much).

Why doesn't Apple care about mobile payment? Makes no sense at all. So you talked all that talk and now you admit you have no clue?

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Why doesn't Apple care about mobile payment. Makes no sense at all. So you talked all that talk and now you admit you have no clue?

I don't know, I don't speak to Tim Cook every week. I was responding to people who didn't understand what the benefit of NFC would be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.