Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenroberts83

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
If the rumors are correct and the iPhone 6 turns out to be like the mockups, I for sure won't buy that piece of ugly ass ****, no elegance like the iPhone 5. Problem is I don't know what else to buy, I don't want Samsung ****ing plastic ****.

Yeah, I agree that the mockups are ugly. I think the final product is likely to look better. Who knows how much better.

Skullbussa

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2011
So many rumours about a 4.7" iPhone and a 5.5" iPhone, but none seem to have a view on if there will be a 4" iPhone. Are the new sizes an addition or replacement? Apple have said in the past why they think 4" is optimal, so I hope they continue to have that as a size for the current model (as opposed to retaining it only in a 5C format).

That's a dead format, the 4" size was appropriate 2-3 years ago but with the way people use phones today it's just outdated.

If you like the 4" phone keep your existing phone.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Steve Jobs when asked many times about a "smaller iPad" was very very adamant that it was a bad idea, nobody would want one, and it would do nothing but ruin the ecosystem.

“The reason we [won't] make a 7-inch tablet isn’t because we don’t want to hit [a lower] price point,” Jobs said. “It’s because we think the screen is too small to express the software. As a software driven company, we think about the software strategies first.”

The iPad mini's display isn't 7" or less. It's 7.9".

Shlooky

macrumors regular
May 31, 2012
BGR has a render of the iPhone 6 that they think is more accurate.

Looks great actually...

iphone-6-hajek-concept.jpg

iphone-5-hajek-concept-2.jpg

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I'm not understanding the benefit of sapphire screens. From what I've read it helps prevent screen scratches (which I've never really heard of being a significant problem), but it causes several other problems: it's heavier, more brittle/shatter-prone, and darker in tone which means either less visibility or more battery usage, not to mention more expensive. Why would Apple go so far as to buy a factory to produce a material that causes more problems than it solves? What am I missing?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
No sapphire, actually a bit of sapphire, some with some without, no no sapphire is happening... maybe? NFC no, no chance, but actually yes but no.

Guys we have a month left just chill out. :cool:

lol...

then last minute Apple will shock us all.

Their good at that

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Yes, but the big difference is that future I sketched is already here, just not in the US. NFC payments and NFC transit cards are currently already being used in large volumes in a wide variety of countries.
I'm living outside the US and it's not here. Escalators are already here, still we have plenty of stairs. Single-purpose NFC cards are here, but general-purpose NFC phones are not here. In many ways a transit card is better than a phone. It's thinner, lighter and it doesn't shatter when it falls on concrete. There is no point in replacing a cheap little card with an expensive damageable device.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I'm not understanding the benefit of sapphire screens. From what I've read it helps prevent screen scratches (which I've never really heard of being a significant problem), but it causes several other problems: it's heavier, more brittle/shatter-prone, and darker in tone which means either less visibility or more battery usage, not to mention more expensive. Why would Apple go so far as to buy a factory to produce a material that causes more problems than it solves? What am I missing?

Who told you about those other "problems"? Hint: it was Corning, maker of Gorilla Glass.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
tech sites expressed that there is no realistically usable internal-smartphone speed throughput above Wifi 802.11n speeds within current smartphone technology
Bear in mind that Wi-Fi and LTE are part of the same chip. Pick up anything remotely new and higher end, and both AC and LTE capability can be expected to be included by default.

For Gen2 AC, MU-MIMO is an important upgrade (far more than the Gen1 speed increase), as it reduces the impact of congestion - though it has no effect on the theoretical maximum speed. Phones especially need that upgrade - because they are generally the biggest cause of congestion slowdowns.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Yep....that is why the gimped the first iPhone with 2g radios because 3G wasn't ready, or because cut n paste wasn't ready...or no camera, or no removable battery. Expandable memory will never be ready. Thank goodness we have been protected from useable touch keyboards....

They never have released unfinished products...maps, Siri? /s

Just because Apple doesn't release features when you want them doesn't mean they are crippling something. I don't think you know the definition of crippling technology.

----------

Like Maps? Or Siri (is it still in beta)? Or the antenna on iPhone 4?

Just because Apple doesn't have perfect releases (no company does) does not mean they intentionally cripple products. You conspiracy theorists are funny.

----------

The original iPad didn't have camera, the subsequent ones had ****** quality cameras. There is no reason they couldn't put the superior iPhone camera in them but they want to hold back stuff so they can have something to talk about on the next release.

Makes total business sense, but kinda sucks when you know the product could have been better if they wanted it to. Kinda like some sports cars which have their engines limited so as not to take sales away from the more expensive model.

Your car example makes no sense. What other iPhone camera was Apple holding back so people would spend more on the better one? Android phones?

Apple cameras never have had the best specs and still don't. Just like they never have the most RAM or the most CPU cycles either. And yet their pictures are always rated the best looking and their OS is buttery smooth. By controlling the hardware and software they make everybody happy including both consumer and their profit margins. So yes it's good business but they're not screwing you. You're screwing yourself if you shop like that and let that bother you. Maybe you shouldn't buy Apple products.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
I'm living outside the US and it's not here. Escalators are already here, still we have plenty of stairs. Single-purpose NFC cards are here, but general-purpose NFC phones are not here. In many ways a transit card is better than a phone. It's thinner, lighter and it doesn't shatter when it falls on concrete. There is no point in replacing a cheap little card with an expensive damageable device.

Maybe you should call Tim Cook and tell him this. :rolleyes:

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
I'm keeping my iPhone 5 for now. I'll consider upgrading to the 5.5" iPhone 6 or the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - whichever impresses me more. :cool:

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
If these *really* are the new designs, then I'm done.

They look like ***** & a total step back from current progress. 4.7/5.5" displays? Who are Apple catering for - the over 70's & under 10 age group(s)!?

Humanity makes me sad; I am SO hoping these are all false fabrications - both physically/ verbally - & we have a sensible; refined 4" Display, TRUE mobile smart device.

i4m

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Actually that looks nice. I never really liked the bezel design in the iphone 5.

The rounded edges is an improvement.

----------

Why has Apple not purchased GT Advanced? Is there any reason for it? It's not like they're short on cash.

Some things are just not up for sale..

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Who told you about those other "problems"? Hint: it was Corning, maker of Gorilla Glass.

From Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/11/sapphire-displays/):

There are plenty of other issues associated with sapphire. It's heavier than Gorilla Glass and the material remains less transparent than glass, meaning it would be more difficult to see the screen unless manufacturers add a special coating to increase transparency. (Even then, it still wouldn't be as good as glass.) Additionally, each representative I talked to confirmed that while sapphire is durable, it certainly isn't unbreakable. In fact, the larger the display is, the more brittle it becomes; "The sapphire is too hard to withstand bending," said a representative of a top-tier phone maker who also asked to remain anonymous. "It's easier to break during drop tests when the size of sapphire increases."
Another representative replied, "In a cost-benefit analysis, I doubt [using sapphire] makes sense, unless there is some perceived marketing advantage." Despite the potential downfalls of using such a material, that's exactly what Apple would be gunning for by using the display in the iPhone: marketing power. Sapphire's got a solid reputation; if the new iPhone features the same material used in premium watches, necklaces and earrings, and the company can throw it in without raising the price to consumers, Apple has a great new way to distinguish itself from the competition.

Basically it's just for people to say they have a sapphire phone.

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
I would to have a phone that doesn't scratch !!:eek:

I always use that 3m or gorilla stick on to cover my phone and pad! Not good for that business but I would really love not to have to buy that again! Not a total loss for them as I remember Samsung uses cheap martial on and in their phones!

----------

From Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/11/sapphire-displays/):

Basically it's just for people to say they have a sapphire phone.

Not really! Sapphire is superior to the other protectants! Their is a YouTube video that this guy who is very intelligent , has a Sapphire iPhone 6 panel ! He tries to destroy it! Very informative! Check it!!!

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I would to have a phone that doesn't scratch !!:eek:

I always use that 3m or gorilla stick on to cover my phone and pad! Not good for that business but I would really love not to have to buy that again! Not a total loss for them as I remember Samsung uses cheap martial on and in their phones!

----------

Not really! Sapphire is superior to the other protectants! Their is a YouTube video that this guy who is very intelligent , has a Sapphire iPhone 6 panel ! He tries to destroy it! Very informative! Check it!!!

You've had scratches on your screen? I'm surprised. I've owned two iPhones and ne'er a screen protector, and both screens have never had a scratch. I don't know what I could be doing differently. I'd be interested to see a survey on this.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Damn the iPhone 5s looks like a brick compared to the rumored iPhone 6.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011

First. At this point it is alleged that he has a sapphire display. since it's a "leaked" part and cannot be officially claimed / corroborated, there is no real way for us to prove / disprove that it is in fact Sapphire.

All we know is that he was able to scratch the display with a very high rated sandpaper and has an extremely high rated scratch resistance.

The second point is that corning isn't claiming anything against Sapphires anti-scratching capability.

Sapphire isn't some unknown material here. It's one of the highest rated hardest materials known to man. Nobody has denied this (Not even corning)

The argument that Corning, and others have with Sapphire is that, traditionally, in thin sheets, Sapphire is more brittle than Gorilla glass, and may shatter easier, offering less pliability.

However, this fact, since nobody has a Sapphire display in the public that we can prove has yet to be proven / disproven.

So, what we can ascertain right now?

The iPhone6 will have a clear, extremely scratch resistent coating that is either made of Sapphire or gorilla glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.