Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
<rant>

Am I the only one who feels an app bought on the iPad should also work on the iPhone? I don't think that is an unreasonable request.

I understand the capitalistic structure we have suggests iPad apps cost more, and frankly I don't mind paying it. I just feel a $15 iPad game should include the $7-$10 iPhone version because it is the same code.

A few apps have done that. I am surprised when a game I have pops up with an iPad update (because it is significant added value at no extra cost). Props to them! I don't need iPhone apps to upgrade and do feel that be an unfair request on developers. I just think iPad apps should be universal. If I am paying a premium for the larger screen, I should be given the smaller one too. If not, you are charging a premium with no added value.

</rant>

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
As a consumer that makes perfect sense.
As a developer, not so much... If people will buy the app twice, they will let you.
I know what you are saying and I def agree but you gotta see it from the $ side

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I don't see how an app that really leverages the iPad and its screen size can truly be universal.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I get where you are coming from, but...

If you bought a 17" Core i7 MacBook Pro, would you also expect to be given a 13" C2D MacBook too?

Might be a bad example, but in many cases the two apps can be quite different, and for that reason (apart from making extra money...) they sell them separately.

It also helps to reduce application size if they are sold separately.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Local LTD will be a universal binary. I've been working on it. Looks awesome on the iPad.

However, I can see instances where a developer would not want to do that.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
As a developer, not so much... If people will buy the app twice, they will let you.

Then it should be the same price. Im not a big gamer, but im pretty sure a Mac game costs the same as a PC game, and a PS3 game costs the same as a 360 game. If we are going to suggest they are different platforms, the same product should be priced evenly.

Reser

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Then it should be the same price. Im not a big gamer, but im pretty sure a Mac game costs the same as a PC game, and a PS3 game costs the same as a 360 game. If we are going to suggest they are different platforms, the same product should be priced evenly.

Er no, The Iphone is Much smaller and less powerful, you are comparing it as if its EVEN and in the same field as the Ipad when it is far from it. it is more Wii to NDS or PS3 to PSP, a PS3 game would be about 25-50% more expensive then the PSP version.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
I get where you are coming from, but...

If you bought a 17" Core i7 MacBook Pro, would you also expect to be given a 13" C2D MacBook too?

Might be a bad example, but in many cases the two apps can be quite different, and for that reason (apart from making extra money...) they sell them separately.

It also helps to reduce application size if they are sold separately.

In that case they are quite different. In your hardware example, those are separate products requiring different design, components, and even have separate application.

However, I am suggesting apps like those being created by EA are nothing more than HD versions of the existing iPhone game. There is very little extra code being added, yet they cost twice as much.

I get the size concerns, I don't really have a rebuttal for those.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
?? Your rant is about paying twice.
Say an iPad app is $10. You'd also want to pay $10 for the iPhone version? Instead of say 4.99..
I don't understand.

I don't want to, but I do believe it would be more logical. In this example both apps would be at 4.99. If you game is worth 4.99 to me on my iPhone, it will not be worth more on a larger screen. It has the same play value.

Er no, The Iphone is Much smaller and less powerful, you are comparing it as if its EVEN and in the same field as the Ipad when it is far from it. it is more Wii to NDS or PS3 to PSP, a PS3 game would be about 25-50% more expensive then the PSP version.

If your game is worth $50 on a MacBook, it is also worth $50 on a Mac Pro. The processor and screen do not change the value. In the case of the PSP, the games are redesigned and slimmed for the mobile device. Many of the iPhone os apps are simply large screen ports.

Reser

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I don't want to, but I do believe it would be more logical. In this example both apps would be at 4.99.

If your game is worth $50 on a MacBook, it is also worth $50 on a Mac Pro. The processor and screen do not change the value. In the case of the PSP, the games are redesigned and slimmed for the mobile device. Many of the iPhone os apps are simply large screen ports.

It is however exactly the same code running on both machines in your example. Wheras for Iphone and Ipad it is completley different and requires seperate coding and more time.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
No, the app detects which device you're running it on and runs that version of the app.

exactly my point. its not universal. how can a developer fit the ipad 'screen' options into the iphone screen? some things will be left out.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51

see, now that's a better example. Now I understand.
It's kinda like charging different prices on games for a psp-1000 vs a psp-3000.
I get what your saying but I'm still sticking to my "developers want your money" story. ;)

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
It is however exactly the same code running on both machines in your example. Wheras for Iphone and Ipad it is completley different and requires seperate coding and more time.

False. I'm not sure if you have ever coded Objective-C. The code itself will remain the same if the application does not add new functions (and again, that is not what I'm talking about). The objects will have the same values/functions regardless of their screen realestate.

arcsbite

Jan 14, 2006
completely agree.
but I guess it depends.
for example, if the iPad version has a complete redeisgn, or offers new/different features than it's iPhone/iPod Touch counterpart then I can understand the charge, it's almost a completely new app.
the issue I have is when they call it "HD" and it turns out it's just an upscaled version of the old one with NO differences.

I find universal apps more appealing as an iPad & iPhone owner...it's like a 2 for 1 deal, and it means that if I'm searching for a "calculator" or "radio" app I'll 99.9% of the time favour the universal.

I guess it's a new kind of market and hopefully it will settle.
reminds me of how I feel when I buy a Blu Ray....with DVD or without

the bottom line is, if you want it, you'll buy it.
If you can't stomach it, the original will still work on the iPad.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
If I were an iPad/iPhone developer, I'd just make sure there were a few features that differentiate the platforms, justifying separate pricing for each version.

arcsbite

Jan 14, 2006
If I were an iPad/iPhone developer, I'd just make sure there were a few features that differentiate the platforms, justifying separate pricing for each version.

his is my stance too.
or if they are the same (other than the larger res) the make the app universal and singular in charging.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory

that type of thing would be fine (and added functionality in the iPad would be expected quite frankly) with me.

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
False. I'm not sure if you have ever coded Objective-C. The code itself will remain the same if the application does not add new functions (and again, that is not what I'm talking about). The objects will have the same values/functions regardless of their screen realestate.

The if is the crux. I develop in Objective -C, among other things, if the app is the same on both platforms, then easy enough to universalize. I would hope though that developers begin to optimize design and features that take advantage of the platform differences. And, those justify a different price.

TeamDNA

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2009
exactly my point. its not universal. how can a developer fit the ipad 'screen' options into the iphone screen? some things will be left out.

ummm they can.. in the ipad appstore there are universal apps that can work with iphone or ipad in just that one app..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.