Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heypal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2022
Germany
I am researching the early development period of Mac OS X right at the beginning.

There seems to have taken place a discussion amongst the developers about the Mac OS Y dock. A philosophical question whether "NeXT" engineers had it "right" with the dock. Some Macintosh purists seemed to be against the dock.

My question is, can you share any information you have got about that please? Links to good articles that are more obscure, anecdotes, what have you…

Much appreciated!

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Wikipedia has a page for the Dock. The "Criticisms" section is here:

The cited criticisms by Tog and John Siracusa still have active web pages (i.e. the References links work), so you can read those articles directly.

I found that page using the search terms mac dock in Wikipedia's search form.

Heypal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2022
Germany
Hi, @chown33 thanks for your reply!

I had seen that page. The thing I am searching for are traces of disputes between developers who percieved a Macintosh way as the "right" way and others who would see in the Dock a prove a NeXT way being "right."

Another example would be the Apple Icon that appeared in the middle of the menu bar, but was later put back into the left corner. That would be a sign that the Macintosh way was perceived as being "right."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.