Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LonSeidman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Hi everyone,

Just curious if any of you received a check from the “Replacement Device Lawsuit” this week. This is apparently a class action suit that Apple was hit with over their practice of giving customers remanufactured phones for AppleCare warranty replacements.

I got one for a whopping $14.45 but they got my name wrong on the check. The check expires on May 30 and the only way to correct the record is to mail them a correction request via the US Postal Service.

I’m curious how many of you received a check and if the name on yours was wrong too.

-Lon

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I have had this happen a few times over the years.
My last name is easy to misspell.
I have never had a problem just endorsing the check, as written, and depositing the check to my account.

Reactions: Miriam.M

Donpablo12

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2023
I got the same check, even though my name on the check was not entirely correct. My name is Max and never Maxwell. So first thing I thought it was a scam. Is this check actually legit?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi everyone,

Just curious if any of you received a check from the “Replacement Device Lawsuit” this week. This is apparently a class action suit that Apple was hit with over their practice of giving customers remanufactured phones for AppleCare warranty replacements.

I got one for a whopping $14.45 but they got my name wrong on the check. The check expires on May 30 and the only way to correct the record is to mail them a correction request via the US Postal Service.

I’m curious how many of you received a check and if the name on yours was wrong too.

-Lon
I got an iCloud storage class action check last week. $0.49.

cmrph

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2023
I got a check today for $28.90 with my name spelled wrong. So many wrong spellings seems really weird.

jondy

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2023
Hi everyone,

-Lon
Yes! Received a check today for $14.45 Name spelled wrong. Trying to find out if its legit.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Got mine for 14.45 and I had either 3 or 4 topcase replacements, thought I was getting over $300.

#scamsettlement

Iceblu12177

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2023
I got a check today for $28.90 with my name spelled wrong. So many wrong spellings seems really weird.
I got the same amount today I live in Franklin Sq
My name is frank but they addressed it to franklin
Check also has Franklin on it. Wtf I think this **** is fake if they getting everyone's name wrong

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The cynic in me says that if they get a lot of names wrong, the bank might reject a decent proportion of them, and for such a low dollar value how many people are likely to go to the trouble of getting them corrected? It sounds like it could be a scheme to save money.

Iceblu12177

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2023
The cynic in me says that if they get a lot of names wrong, the bank might reject a decent proportion of them, and for such a low dollar value how many people are likely to go to the trouble of getting them corrected? It sounds like it could be a scheme to save money.
Maybe Apple. Needs another lawsuit in purposely screwing up people's names in order to save Money. Me myself could careless I really don't even need the 28 bux. So if the bank don't except it I'll throw it away. But strange don't ya think so many names incorrectly printed🤔

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016

LOL. For Apple, the $$$ is gone. It's the class action lawyers who will get any unclaimed funds!!!

Reactions: robvalentine

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
LOL. For Apple, the $$$ is gone. It's the class action lawyers who will get any unclaimed funds!!!

Not necessarily. Unclaimed funds may be distributed to claimants who cashed the first check (they'll get a second check), donated to charity, or returned to defendant (Apple in this case).

Reactions: Mlrollin91

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
I use Wells Fargo and their mobile deposit feature will deposit this in your account even if it is made out to Donald Duck!

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I got one for the same amount but shockingly they got my name right. I have a unisex name but places usually spell it the way most women who have the same name spell theirs.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Heck, I’m surprised if any piece of mail (check or otherwise) has my name spelled CORRECTLY. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The check deposited, no problems.

PeggyAnne

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2023
I received a check today with the wrong first name on it. My name isn’t Margaret! It never has been Margaret. Why do businesses assume that your actual name is Margaret when you have a name that is considered a nickname of Margaret? How do we get a new check with the correct name on it? It seems like what the others have said is true. If they miss spell your name and you can’t cash the check, they get to keep the money. This really is dishonest! The address is correct on the on the paprework.

Miriam.M

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2023
Hi everyone,

-Lon
Yes, I have received a "Replacement Device Lawsuit". I also received a whopping $14.45 check, but it was made out Pay To The Order Off: SUTTON FUN". I wonder who made this blunder. I guess I will do what you have written and send a letter regarding a correction request via the US Postal Service. Who did you send the request to? REPLACEMENT DEVICE LAWSUIT, P.O. Box 4199, Portland, OR 97208-4199? The band is Huntington National Bank. I wonder if they did this on purpose? Thank you so much for your e-mail and if you write back. M.

Miriam.M

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2023
My check doesn't have Pay to the Order of: my name, its written out to a "SUTTON FUN". I think they made mistakes on purpose. Also, I only received $14.45, disgrace a company so big.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.