Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
That’s an awfully suspicious number of misspelled check names. I haven’t even received my check yet - hope I didn’t throw it away thinking it was garbage. What did anyone’s check envelope look like on the outside? How was it marked?

Edit: oops, wrong settlement. I’m waiting on the keyboard check.

Patcat3876

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2024
I saw that the post that are on here were from April of last year. I just got mine today January 19, 2024. My name was also not spelled it’s Patty and they put Patricia. I noticed that they’re asking if your name is misspelled to write to them Giving your correct name with email address and check number. I looked up the PO Box and it is a post office in Portland Oregon. I’m curious if anyone has found anything out if this is a scam or is this legit. Did anyone cash the checks ????

Did anyone try cashing the checks from last year it seems people got them around April 2023. I got one today January 2024.

Patcat3876

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2024
I feel it’s a scam. Funny how they know that a name is misspelled! Who writes you a check and then puts on there that “if” your name is wrong to write in to have it corrected. No one does that! Something seems off and there’s no such “THE Huntington NATIONAL Bank” something just seems off about this. My name is Patty and they spilled Patricia so yes, my name is misspelled.
I’m just afraid to put my signature on the back they will put my account number on there and when it returned it will go back to the originator and it will have our signature our bank information so it’s kind of scary. I had $78.52. It looks tempting but it’s too fishy.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Huntington National Bank is headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, and is the 21st largest bank in the U.S.
A legit bank, I think.
This is part of a payout for a lawsuit, and it's your share - that you signed up for.
(So, this payout was not a complete surprise for you, was it?)
I have had this same question a few times over the years, as I have an easy-to-misspell last name.
I have never had a problem with endorsing a check with the same wrong spelling as the check, and also endorsing "for deposit only" to my bank account.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
I received a check for the class action lawsuit for the battery that Apple has jimmied with during an upgrading to make people think the batteries were failing, and because the cost of a new battery for an older phone it would be best to obtain a new Apple iPhone.

Well people understood that Apples Mr. Cook the Crooked Cook was trying to scam their phone owners, so a class action law suit was filed this was i am thinking was over 10+ years ago.
Last week i received in the mail a check for $93.17 and it has my correct name on it and i deposited it in my bank account.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Yeah they got my first name wrong. Example my legal name is Jeff (not really) but they put Jeffrey on the settlement. I did the ACH so no issues with the deposit.

RCollins55555

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2024
I saw that the post that are on here were from April of last year. I just got mine today January 19, 2024. My name was also not spelled it’s Patty and they put Patricia. I noticed that they’re asking if your name is misspelled to write to them Giving your correct name with email address and check number. I looked up the PO Box and it is a post office in Portland Oregon. I’m curious if anyone has found anything out if this is a scam or is this legit. Did anyone cash the checks ????

Did anyone try cashing the checks from last year it seems people got them around April 2023. I got one today January 2024.
I agree. My first name was spelled wrong and I worry about depositing it and if it is declined, then someone getting my signature or something out of it. Mine was for $52.36. I am annoyed by them. Part of me wants to cash it just to take their money but the other part of me doesn’t trust them.

RCollins55555

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2024
I feel it’s a scam. Funny how they know that a name is misspelled! Who writes you a check and then puts on there that “if” your name is wrong to write in to have it corrected. No one does that! Something seems off and there’s no such “THE Huntington NATIONAL Bank” something just seems off about this. My name is Patty and they spilled Patricia so yes, my name is misspelled.
I’m just afraid to put my signature on the back they will put my account number on there and when it returned it will go back to the originator and it will have our signature our bank information so it’s kind of scary. I had $78.52. It looks tempting but it’s too fishy.
U are smart to think this way. I’m not cashing mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.