Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Stupid question - did Apple ever forcibly switch people to two-factor verification? Because it's on on both mine and my wife's accounts and while I know I turned it on, she is 99.9% sure she never opted in.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Once you turn it on you cannot turn it off but I don’t know about it turning on automatically as you have to setup a phone number with it.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
You have to manually enable 2FA. But once it's enabled there is no way to turn it off.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Yes.my father in law turned it on for my daughter. She has 1 device, so I'm not sure how effects it can be. It's frigging annoying.

The phone number is used. So if her phone is broken/stolen/whatever and she got a new one when she signs in with the new iPhone she'll get a text to it since it will likely have the same number.

As an extra layer of comfort I would recommend going to iCloud.com and logging into her account and adding another phone number to the trusted numbers. Yours, your father-in-law, her boyfriend/husband (assuming she's that old I dont know). That way someone else can get the authentication passcode if for some reason she can't.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
2FA is much more secure than 2SA. Its required for some features due to enhanced security however its mostly in place to protect Apple. The ability to make purchases from Apple devices that are as large as the credit card attached throws around a lot of liability. They needed to do as much as they can to minimize their portion of that.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Why are some people so against 2FA? You literally only have to 2FA when logging into a new device. Once you're logged in you don't have to mess with it anymore. I haven't 2FA'ed in months. Even when I upgraded my phone the upgrade happened directly from the old phone and I didn't have to 2FA then either!

gbynum

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2019
Greenville SC
Against 2FA ... maybe because some of us use Windows; every update seems to require re-authorization of my accounts. I know Apple is smarter, perhaps they show it here?

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Why are some people so against 2FA? You literally only have to 2FA when logging into a new device. Once you're logged in you don't have to mess with it anymore. I haven't 2FA'ed in months. Even when I upgraded my phone the upgrade happened directly from the old phone and I didn't have to 2FA then either!
They don’t know what it does and why, so to them it seems like an inconvenience and they just choose to get annoyed about it. It really is an important second layer of security that doesn’t get in the way much.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
2FA should be required by default in every online account. 2FA isn't perfect, but for now its crucial for the user security. Anyone who still refuse to go this way should be responsible for any fraud they will have in the future if its related to one of the accounts without 2FA activated.

Dean402002

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2020
I find Apples 2FA nothing more than a useless pain as it serves no useful purpose but to track you and your devices it does nothing to protect your devices from hackers it just protects Apple It also enables Apple to pre redundant any older devices it makes you carry 2 devices or use get code on the device if its the latest IOS only and this defeats the object of any protection whatsoever I hate the fact that Apple have refused to turn it off and have no complaints department how does a company with so much arrogance continue to thrive ????

Dean402002

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2020
thats simply not true i have 11 apple devices and apple expects me to use 2fa 10 or more times a day its useless and a complete waste of time look at it for what it is it tracks you and your devices does nothing to protect your devices from being hacked it just protects apple and makes your older devices redundant excellent marketing ploy but useless app and they refuse to remove it from your account

• Angry
Reactions: gnasher729

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

Google released stats not that long ago about how many people had 2FA enabled on their Gmail accounts and it was less than 10%. That just floored me.

Dean402002

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2020
They don’t know what it does and why, so to them it seems like an inconvenience and they just choose to get annoyed about it. It really is an important second layer of security that doesn’t get in the way much.
security for who well not for devices its just for apple ID its a pain and unnecessary been using mac since 1980s have 11 devices currently in use and im sick of 2FA asking me to sign in 10 or more times a day and sending codes to a device thats at home and not available it also makes older devices redundant face it its just another marketing ploy for corporate greed its funny that no executive from apple will ever commit to a comment about 2FA and every time i post on Apple forums in regard 2FA its deleted and just how secure is 2FA when the code is available on the device in your hand total waste of time As for people not understanding what it does is not important its the arrogance of apple in refusing to remove it or having any complaints department We have a right to make our own decisions in regards to security As for not understanding I have been in in IT using mac windows linux unix IOS and many other systems
Google released stats not that long ago about how many people had 2FA enabled on their Gmail accounts and it was less than 10%. That just floored me.
Not sure about google 2FA but fit its as bad and intrusive as Apple 2FA then the other 90% have the best option

Tekguy0

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2020
Its not that bad. And its not enabled by default. I got a prompt asking me to confirm. I only have to use it once I get a new device, which is not that often.
We have a right to make our own decisions in regards to security
This is Apple we are talking about, where they make the decisions for you, regardless of whether they are right (iPad Trackpad support) or wrong (butterfly keyboard).

Dean402002

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2020
Apple are going to suffer over this attitude as so many people are switching to windows or android and this 2FA is just adding to the situation that think they own us and even after we make a purchase they still tell us what we have to have on it just imagine windows not allowing you to add software not made by microsoft it will never happen we as the user retain all rights to use of a device and as for Apple themselves whats with the no complaints policy pure arrogance

• Haha
Reactions: russell_314

Tekguy0

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2020
Apple are going to suffer over this attitude as so many people are switching to windows or android and this 2FA is just adding to the situation that think they own us and even after we make a purchase they still tell us what we have to have on it just imagine windows not allowing you to add software not made by microsoft it will never happen we as the user retain all rights to use of a device and as for Apple themselves whats with the no complaints policy pure arrogance
I fail to think of anyone I know who has switched to android or windows over something as insignificant as 2FA. Most people are fine with it as they feel more secure. Uhh, all major platforms allow you to add programs/apps made by independent devs. The user does not retain all rights so long as it does not involve stealing intellectual property or violating the EULA of any software. I believe windows (and loads of others) also have 2FA, I get an email from MS asking me to confirm with a code every time my account is used on a new device. Its not just apple's problem. I agree that the user should get a choice, but they kind of do in choosing which platform they use.

Reactions: seezar

Dean402002

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2020
Im not against 2FA simply the poor way it works when like myself you have multiple devices and often work in areas of poor signal 2FA just doesn't work for me and i resent the fact that Apple won't turn it off and if you actually google it many have already ditched Apple over this I use multiple devices 11 Apple devices several windows versions linux android and many others and the only complete pain is Apple 2FA Apple should let you sign a disclaimer and switch it off if required most of my Apple devices including iPhone XR nd new 2020 iPad pro 12.9 are effectively useless unless i have a good wifi or 4g connection which many times a day i do not have this means each time the device sees a connection i wants me to sign in again and again and as for older somewhat more reliable devices its a nightmare so again 2FA where its needed not forced on everyone like it is now I have had my Apple ID for more years than i care to remember and never had any issues so why now is this useless 2FA forced upon me I agree its great for people who need higher security and for corporate use but for most of us its not needed. lets face it you wouldn't buy a car that only opened with a code sent to your phone and your stuck in the rain waiting with no signal well to me this is the same totally useless

Reactions: Lyn2012
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.