Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dean402002

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2020
yes other systems use 2FA but they seem to work Apples doesn't as for windows asking i only get asked occasionally which is fine but not every time i loose a signal and have to sign in again I have spoken to Apple support or should i say lack of support and get no help whatsoever just a pre scripted garbage from the screen in front of them its impossible to complain as no complaints department and cannot get escallated any higher than customer lack of support so i feel totally let down by the company thats had my support for many years I will not be updating any further than i have and have just bought the new surface pro so much better no intrusive security

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
security for who well not for devices its just for apple ID its a pain and unnecessary been using mac since 1980s have 11 devices currently in use and im sick of 2FA asking me to sign in 10 or more times a day and sending codes to a device thats at home and not available it also makes older devices redundant face it its just another marketing ploy for corporate greed its funny that no executive from apple will ever commit to a comment about 2FA and every time i post on Apple forums in regard 2FA its deleted and just how secure is 2FA when the code is available on the device in your hand total waste of time As for people not understanding what it does is not important its the arrogance of apple in refusing to remove it or having any complaints department We have a right to make our own decisions in regards to security As for not understanding I have been in in IT using mac windows linux unix IOS and many other systems

Not sure about google 2FA but fit its as bad and intrusive as Apple 2FA then the other 90% have the best option
Oh come on, how the Apple 2FA is so intrusive? Once everything is set up, I can't remember the last time I had to enter a code and if you don't have any device near you you can always ask for a regular 2FA code via SMS. Right now, 2FA is the best we can do for securing our important accounts. Maybe its not perfect but its way more secure than not enable it. If you don't want this, don't complain if one day your accounts is compromised and the companies won't be able to help you.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Does 2FA work for people who travel overseas and swap out sim cards? How can it contact you if you're getting a brand new phone number with the old phone number now not in use for the period you're overseas. If you only have your iphone with you, it's impossible to authenticate??? Or am I missing something?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
2FA can be disabled if your account is old enough, like, created before 2SA was introduced. Apple will give you 14 days grace period before you can no longer turn it off. I did it once for enabling iCloud Keychain (yes, they force 2FA on that now), and disabled 2FA afterwards.

2FA means two factors, which means one permanent point of failure. I have seen a few cases where 2FA enabled account can no longer be accessed because the other factor is no longer useable (trusted devices and/or trusted phone numbers). In the grand scheme of things those happen rarely, but it can happen.

For me, account access is above everything. The only scenario to enable 2FA is I control all factors and I can easily access all factors anytime anywhere. I doubt apple’s 2FA has that, so I will keep it disabled for as long as I can.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Does 2FA work for people who travel overseas and swap out sim cards? How can it contact you if you're getting a brand new phone number with the old phone number now not in use for the period you're overseas. If you only have your iphone with you, it's impossible to authenticate??? Or am I missing something?
Yes it works for people who travel overseas. The 2FA on my account is a pop up on my phone showing a code and not a text message. You would have to have some type of data connection.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Yes.my father in law turned it on for my daughter. She has 1 device, so I'm not sure how effects it can be. It's frigging annoying.
It's a bit confusing when 2FA is used on the same device. What you need to realise is that if someone manages to get hold of your daughters password, they can try to do nasty things from their device, but then your daughter would have to agree on her phone (and obviously won't). Security is annoying to some degree most of the time. Not having security can be a lot, lot more annoying.

Reactions: Tekguy0

Dean402002

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2020
Well all another 45 mins on a call back from Apple over 2FA problems and still no results just more of the same basically your stuck with it so live with it my feelings are if they can't fix it then scrap it I know many people will not agree with this but in my situation it simply does not work but Apple are unwilling to disable it.
why is it so intrusive and unreliable its all ok in ideal situations but outside of its comfort zone its hopeless.

Dean402002

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2020
Apples 2FA is a great idea poorly implemented and poorly managed I use 2FA on google android and microsoft with no issues but Apples 2FA is just too intrusive for daily use and until its fixed for everyone we should be able to disable it until it is.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Apples 2FA is a great idea poorly implemented and poorly managed I use 2FA on google android and microsoft with no issues but Apples 2FA is just too intrusive for daily use and until its fixed for everyone we should be able to disable it until it is.

I tried it on a device and then changed my mind and I can't go back. I think that at some level of operating system or functionality, you have to enable it. There are many times when I don't have my phone around but at least I get the code on my watch so I don't have to go upstairs or downstairs to get my phone.

Dean402002

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2020
It's a bit confusing when 2FA is used on the same device. What you need to realise is that if someone manages to get hold of your daughters password, they can try to do nasty things from their device, but then your daughter would have to agree on her phone (and obviously won't). Security is annoying to some degree most of the time. Not having security can be a lot, lot more annoying.
Whilst I agree security is important but it should not be so intrusive as to make the whole Apple experience devastatingly annoying what used to be as Steve Jobs RIP once said here is a device you already know how to use out of the box.
Well that certainly is not the case today and the future looks even bleaker as the more we as end users allow corporate giants to control our every move destroys any true sense of security. Any form of online security is by its very nature insecure so why when Apple iPhones have NFC technology built in why can this not be the second factor?
this would be far safer as no external influence and you have the security on your finger and NOT over the air via wifi mobile data bluetooth or any other long range hackable signal.
but of course the companies want to know where you are and what your doing 24/7 helping them to sell yet more advertising and generate yet more revenue.
Apple have always been the top pioneers of new useable technologies and innovations from lisa to iPad pro iPod to iPhone and so on, but all we see these days is new iPhones every month iPhone 12 already for release and for what purpose i ask no innovations here just selling to the must have the latest brigade Apple has lost its way and the giant will eat its self unless they create something new and not just revamps to pre outdate older devices this is truly corporate greed and eventually the masses will see the light.
Nobody wants apple to fade away but to do what the company was founded for innovation and respect but now its all about share holders and law suits to stop anyone repairing devices even to government levels to lobby against parts import, This could be supported if any Apple repair centre offered component level repairs at a reasonable cost instead of being told you need a whole new board so its cheaper to buy another device so i guess fairness to its loyal customers is no longer of any importance to the now corporate monster

Dean402002

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2020
Oh come on, how the Apple 2FA is so intrusive? Once everything is set up, I can't remember the last time I had to enter a code and if you don't have any device near you you can always ask for a regular 2FA code via SMS. Right now, 2FA is the best we can do for securing our important accounts. Maybe its not perfect but its way more secure than not enable it. If you don't want this, don't complain if one day your accounts is compromised and the companies won't be able to help you.
im truly pleased you don't have any issues with 2FA, however many of us do ,Of all the 2FA systems i use daily like android and microsoft, none cause me so many issues.
Above all its the lack of choice surely anyone can see that it should be able to disable it if it causes problems
Im not anti Apple or 2FA but make it work for everyone first before making it compulsory.
I have had the same Apple ID for years with no problems so the old system worked ok
I have asked Apple why we can't use NFC technology as security is on your finger and no over air inter action NFC is already built in to later iPhones i believe from 7 upwards and most android phones So why are we sending any data over air ???
No i don't want 2FA in its present unreliable form, but would like to see Apple fix the problems or allow us to turn it off until it is.

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
Is Apple's 2FA more secure than most? I ask because people in the IT security world say 2FA isn't really secure at all. They recommend 2FA apps like, say, Okta for mobile devices and YubiKey for desktops or laptops. But perhaps Apple's 2FA does the same thing?

Dean402002

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2020
The same people who are complaining about 2FA here would be complaining about how Apple sucks if they got hacked. Maybe one day security will be easy but for right now 2FA is more than worth the extra inconvenience.
I don't think people are complaining about 2FA as a security device its just that for many of us its not practical.
Any minor inconvenience would always be acceptable, But it should not be intrusive and require a constant network connection.
Iphones already have NFC technology built in and doesn't require any over air transaction, which makes it far safer.
NFC rings are worn on your finger and can be purchased for less than £8 and with the right software could even be used as a rolling code device so a new code is produced each and every time you use it.
This means the secondary security is on your finger and not hackable over wifi, cellular or bluetooth.
I have contacted Apple re this and of course received nothing back
[automerge]1595948836[/automerge]
Is Apple's 2FA more secure than most? I ask because people in the IT security world say 2FA isn't really secure at all. They recommend 2FA apps like, say, Okta for mobile devices and YubiKey for desktops or laptops. But perhaps Apple's 2FA does the same thing?
Security is on everyones mind these days, and so it should be but I don't have much faith in any security that requires any form of online transaction

Last edited:

Dean402002

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2020
2FA can be disabled if your account is old enough, like, created before 2SA was introduced. Apple will give you 14 days grace period before you can no longer turn it off. I did it once for enabling iCloud Keychain (yes, they force 2FA on that now), and disabled 2FA afterwards.

2FA means two factors, which means one permanent point of failure. I have seen a few cases where 2FA enabled account can no longer be accessed because the other factor is no longer useable (trusted devices and/or trusted phone numbers). In the grand scheme of things those happen rarely, but it can happen.

For me, account access is above everything. The only scenario to enable 2FA is I control all factors and I can easily access all factors anytime anywhere. I doubt apple’s 2FA has that, so I will keep it disabled for as long as I can.
I totally agree Apples version of 2FA has too many failures like needing a constant network connection.
I ask the question with all of todays technology why are we still using online hackable systems and not hardware security ?.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I don't think people are complaining about 2FA as a security device its just that for many of us its not practical.
Any minor inconvenience would always be acceptable, But it should not be intrusive and require a constant network connection.
Iphones already have NFC technology built in and doesn't require any over air transaction, which makes it far safer.
NFC rings are worn on your finger and can be purchased for less than £8 and with the right software could even be used as a rolling code device so a new code is produced each and every time you use it.
This means the secondary security is on your finger and not hackable over wifi, cellular or bluetooth.
I have contacted Apple re this and of course received nothing back
[automerge]1595948836[/automerge]

Security is on everyones mind these days, and so it should be but I don't have much faith in any security that requires any form of online transaction
So wait your issue is 2FA requires a network connection so you can log into something that requires a network connection? ?‍♂️

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.