Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saxman211

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
I just got a PS4 for Christmas.. Now I'm seeing a bunch of posts about a PS5 coming next year... Am I late to the game (no pun intended) with getting the PS4. Should I return it and wait???

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
PS4 has some of the best exclusives of the 3 major consoles to date. Ps5 is probably at least 2 years away.

Enjoy your consoles and play must haves like god of war, horizon zero dawn, Spider-Man, Detroit become human. Will keep you busy for a while.

Reactions: camW00dS and rbrian

lpolarityl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2009
Ohio
Not at all. There are plenty of games to play now, and ones that are coming out to warrant the purchase of having one now. The real question is, do you have enough time to play all the exclusives, there is so many(!).

Reactions: rbrian

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Like 3DS, imo, never too late... I got my N3DSXL (first 3ds) in 2017, and PS4 Pro (first Ps4) on launch day

Such a massive library! And lots of good deals for games that have been out for a while

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It's rumoured that the PS5 will still be a "PC" internally, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's compatible with PS4 games. I wouldn't hesitate to build up your game library at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: saxman211

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I traded in my PS2 for a PS3, and wished I didn't. There was hardly anything to play for the first year or two, and plenty I hadn't got round to on the PS2. Plus, the Xbox 360 had more RPGs, so was a better fit for me.

I bought a 360 Slim, and then stupidly traded it in for an Xbox One on launch day, with plenty of 360 games left unplayed, and nothing good on the One. It's now gathering dust, as the PS4 Pro I bought a few months ago gets much more use.

The best time to buy a console seems to be when the second slim version is released - by that time it will be clear whether to go XBox or PlayStation (or even Nintendo), the early bugs will be fixed, and there will be a sizeable library of excellent games, many of which will be discounted.

You're a little late, but three years from now it might still be too early to get the next generation.

Reactions: saxman211

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
It's usually taking at least a year after release of new hardware to have at least a handful of exclusives really worth having and since nothing has been announced so far I'd say you're on what will remain the best platform till the end of 2020. Big titles in development right now and for release until then will probably target the PS4 as well.

After the PS2's drive failures and the RROD- and YLOD-generation I'd also be a bit careful with purchasing the first iteration of the hardware. I believe the PS4 fared a lot better but is known to be noisy in its first incarnations. You tend to get the better hardware towards the end of the life cycle.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
I also just got a PS4, couldn't be happier!

Look how cheap all the games are—it's pretty amazing the great deals I can get on huge hits from 2 to 3 years ago that are brand new to me.

Even if you just play 5-10 exclusives on PS4, I think it makes it worth it.

That, and PSVR is just hit its stride in 2018. :)

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
It's usually taking at least a year after release of new hardware to have at least a handful of exclusives really worth having and since nothing has been announced so far I'd say you're on what will remain the best platform till the end of 2020.

Not only that but often times it's a nightmare trying to get your hands on a launch console because of limited quantities.

cajun67

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
Long time gamer here.

The best time to get a console is just before the next generation console comes out.

The reason? A console is only as good as the games that are available, and a mature console platform is going to have several years' worth of amazing games. Also, the developers at this point have figured out a LOT of tricks to get the most performance out of the system; that's why the best games for a system usually comes out several years after the console's launch.

A brand new console platform may have upgraded hardware and all, but very few games to demonstrate it. And almost nothing that really pushes the system to its limit.

Also, the price/value ratio of a mature console is much better. The price of the console has generally dropped significantly after a few years, and older A-list titles can be found at discount prices. You will pay a premium for a new console, and you will pay full retail price for every game.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Long time gamer here.

The best time to get a console is just before the next generation console comes out.

The reason? A console is only as good as the games that are available, and a mature console platform is going to have several years' worth of amazing games. Also, the developers at this point have figured out a LOT of tricks to get the most performance out of the system; that's why the best games for a system usually comes out several years after the console's launch.

A brand new console platform may have upgraded hardware and all, but very few games to demonstrate it. And almost nothing that really pushes the system to its limit.

Also, the price/value ratio of a mature console is much better. The price of the console has generally dropped significantly after a few years, and older A-list titles can be found at discount prices. You will pay a premium for a new console, and you will pay full retail price for every game.

Exactly right.

But... there's always the lure of getting the new shiny thing; we see that with phones every year.

I knew it was a mistake, but my XBox One has Day One printed faintly on the controller!

Sammy80

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2015
It’s a great time in my opinion to get a ps4. A lot of the Sony exclusives are cheap. You can pick up a ton for $20 or less. The ps5 will probably be out in 2020 however it will be 2x the price. Also it takes a couple years to get a good library built up to make a console worth owning in my own opinion. I buy all my 3rd party games on Xbox. I still have a good 45 games for my ps4 between console exclusives and niche Japanese games. All mostly bought for $25 or less each.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I was searching online about this and like was mentioned in the beginning, everyone is focusing on the PS5. I have a Switch and game on my PC but I really miss the Sony exclusives. Since i got an OLED TV i’m contemplating wether i should get the PS4 Slim of PS4 Pro. I’m going to big the bullet regardless.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Since i got an OLED TV i’m contemplating wether i should get the PS4 Slim of PS4 Pro. I’m going to big the bullet regardless.

I don't know much about the Slim, but I have a PS4 Pro and an original fat Xbox One. The PS4 looks much better on my LG OLED55B7, partly because of the marginally higher resolution, but mostly because of HDR. I think it's worth the premium.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
Long time gamer here.

I agree with this for single player games, but for most multiplayer games it’s necessary to play soon after release, before the player base begins to dwindle.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

This would never work for me. My backlog of games to play/finish is already bad and this would make it ten times worse. I usually wait a year after a console releases then I'm all in.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
its also a great time to get a 3ds/2ds now that its approaching End of life.

a limitless library and lots of good deals

Reactions: Sensamic

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Wanting to wait for upcoming hardware doesn't really pan out for gaming consoles. New systems generally launch with only a handful of games worth playing (if any), and take a while to mature.

Missing out on the current generation for the promise of the next would be a damn shame for any gamer. Especially if OP is fairly new to gaming in general as there are so many HD/remasters of even older games available for the current generation that you really are in for a treat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensamic and rbrian

MacDonaldTrump

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Brisbane Australia
The kids got a ps4pro for Christmas, Thanks Santa!

They have their games and I get to play Red Dead 2, cod WW2 and black ops, then have god of war, horizon and spidy sitting there. Last of us 2 should be good, I like dirt rally so may check number 2. Great time to own a PS4, graphics on red dead are nuts.

saxman211

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
You guys are right. And after purchasing and playing Red Dead and Spiderman, I don't have regrets. If any, it would be spending too much time on the console at times. My only gripe is that I have to pay to play online. I wasn't sure what Playstation plus was until I tried to play some games like Street Fighter V and NBA 2k19 online... That was a little disappointing...
[doublepost=1548325603][/doublepost]
It's rumoured that the PS5 will still be a "PC" internally, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's compatible with PS4 games. I wouldn't hesitate to build up your game library at this point.

Wow... really?

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
You guys are right. And after purchasing and playing Red Dead and Spiderman, I don't have regrets. If any, it would be spending too much time on the console at times. My only gripe is that I have to pay to play online. I wasn't sure what Playstation plus was until I tried to play some games like Street Fighter V and NBA 2k19 online... That was a little disappointing...
[doublepost=1548325603][/doublepost]

Wow... really?
I just treated myself to an Xbox One S this past Christmas knowing full well that the next Xbox is due in one to two years. First of all it was only $249 with Battfield series of games. Secondly I really wanted to play Red Dead Redemption 2 and a handful of other games. If I get 3-4 years of use out of it I’ll be extremely satisfied.

Enjoy your PS4!!!

Reactions: Sensamic

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I wasn't sure what Playstation plus was until I tried to play some games like Street Fighter V and NBA 2k19 online... That was a little disappointing...
You do get two free games each month with PS+, so that takes some of the sting out. Some of them are junk, but there have been some good ones also.

Look around before next year and you can often find the PS+ digital code on sale to save some money.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
You do get two free games each month with PS+, so that takes some of the sting out. Some of them are junk, but there have been some good ones also.

Look around before next year and you can often find the PS+ digital code on sale to save some money.

Compare the PS+ price to a game - you only need to like one or two in a year to make it worthwhile.

Reactions: Weaselboy

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

Not only that but there's also automated uploading of save game files to the cloud. It's worth the yearly fee IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.