Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Casimono

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2009
I'm on a 3rd gen iPad, and until now I deliberately stayed with iOS 5 because I like the prepackaged stock YouTube app that was developed by Apple.

This app worked very reliably for many years. But today it stopped working. I get the message "Cannot connect to YouTube".

But I've also got an even older iPhone with the stock YouTube app that still works.

Has anybody else noticed too that this app stopped working today? Or, on the flip side, anybody else using ios5 with the stock YouTube app and yours is still working?

Thanks.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
I'm on a 3rd gen iPad, and until now I deliberately stayed with iOS 5 because I like the prepackaged stock YouTube app that was developed by Apple.

This app worked very reliably for many years. But today it stopped working. I get the message "Cannot connect to YouTube".

But I've also got an even older iPhone with the stock YouTube app that still works.

Has anybody else noticed too that this app stopped working today? Or, on the flip side, anybody else using ios5 with the stock YouTube app and yours is still working?

Thanks.

iOS 5 on an iPad 3? Wow
For this old YouTube app you Prefer to stay on an ancient iOS? That app sucks anyway compared to the current one from Google.
You also don't care about a million more features, better security, app support and arguable better design? :confused:

Reactions: kaielement

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007

You've got other problems as I just checked on my Pad 3 running iOS 5 and it still works.

----------

iOS 5 on an iPad 3? Wow
For this old YouTube app you Prefer to stay on an ancient iOS? That app sucks anyway compared to the current one from Google.
You also don't care about a million more features, better security, app support and arguable better design? :confused:

Why, does it bother you that not everyone is a lemming? There are some people that don't follow others and prefer to do as they please. You know that catchy phrase "Think Different"

Where have I heard that before, oh wait, "Think Different" :apple:

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Why, does it bother you that not everyone is a lemming? There are some people that don't follow others and prefer to do as they please. You know that catchy phrase "Think Different"

What on earth does updating a device have to do with being a lemming or not? Someone's a little touchy...

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
What on earth does updating a device have to do with being a lemming or not? Someone's a little touchy...

Because there are a fair share of users on this form who need to berate someone who is not running a certain OS because it's either too old, too ugly, a security threat or it hurts Apples iOS fragmentation. So they feel you have to be part of the crowd and update to the latest and greatest.

I happen to like iOS 5, love the Youtube app because it doesn't play ads prior to watching videos and I like the UI and colors of iOS 5.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
I agree, if you like the stock YouTube app, then don't update! Besides, iOS 8 really slows down the iPad 3. Should have updated to iOS 7.1.2, it was the best all-round iOS version for the iPad 3.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS 5 on an iPad 3? Wow
How about caring about performance, which is noticeably better on iOS 5 (or 6) compared to 7 or 8 on a device like iPad 3 (oh, and the design can be just as much arguably worse, as that is simply something subjective and is easily different for everyone).

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
How about caring about performance, which is noticeably better on iOS 5 (or 6) compared to 7 or 8 on a device like iPad 3 (oh, and the design can be just as much arguably worse, as that is simply something subjective and is easily different for everyone).

What ever floats your boat. Give win 95 a try I heard it's pretty good :D

----------

You've got other problems as I just checked on my Pad 3 running iOS 5 and it still works.

----------

You mean "think ancient"?

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Because there are a fair share of users on this form who need to berate someone who is not running a certain OS because it's either too old, too ugly, a security threat or it hurts Apples iOS fragmentation. So they feel you have to be part of the crowd and update to the latest and greatest.

I happen to like iOS 5, love the Youtube app because it doesn't play ads prior to watching videos and I like the UI and colors of iOS 5.

iOS 5's youtube app is the best. Even better, iOS 5 gets access to iCloud and the old classic music player! (pre iOS 6 and Pre iOS 7)! You are living the good life :cool::)

The last good part is that, you can play youtube videos from your lock-screen without using chrome!

Reactions: iPhone24ctgold

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
iOS 5's youtube app is the best. Even better, iOS 5 gets access to iCloud and the old classic music player! (pre iOS 6 and Pre iOS 7)! You are living the good life :cool::)

The last good part is that, you can play youtube videos from your lock-screen without using chrome!

That's hilarious.
I think continuity, Handoff, iCloud Drive, IPL, extensions, widgets, full disk encryption, iCloud Keychain, activation lock, security and app support is the good life. I guess some people have their own ways of doing things. Can someone send me a screenshot of the YouTube app for nostalgia sake.

gtg my Mac is ringing ;)

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
That's hilarious.
I think continuity, Handoff, iCloud Drive, IPL, extensions, widgets, full disk encryption, iCloud Keychain, activation lock, security and app support is the good life. I guess some people have their own ways of doing things. Can someone send me a screenshot of the YouTube app for nostalgia sake.

gtg my Mac is ringing ;)

Well, since you are running iOS 8, how many glitches do you have (reliability), poor battery life, even more bloatware, and, reduced storage space? Do the third party keyboards work yet? Does your Apple device reset all the time? Does the wifi still disconnect? Finally, even with 8.2, you are still affected by heartbleead; !

So yeah, we all have our different opinions on which iOS suits our needs. The older ones are more reliable than the newer ones though;) ! Btw, here is my old iPod Touch 4th generation running iOS 4.2.3!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Well, since you are running iOS 8, how many glitches do you have (reliability), poor battery life, even more bloatware, and, reduced storage space? Do the third party keyboards work yet? Does your Apple device reset all the time? Does the wifi still disconnect? Finally, even with 8.2, you are still affected by heartbleead; !

So yeah, we all have our different opinions on which iOS suits our needs. The older ones are more reliable than the newer ones though;) ! Btw, here is my old iPod Touch 4th generation running iOS 4.2.3!

1) Not very many glitches. You think ios 8 is a glitch fest ?
2) battery life is awesome. Your beloved ios 5 was famous for its battery draining glitch upon release.
3) what bloat ware? Podcasts, iBooks, newsstand, health? I use them all. Yes tips and apple watch app are meh but it's not bloat ware. I don't think you know what bloatware actually is. Try a Samsung
4) you ask about third party keyboards working reliably yet you don't have an android? What's your point?
5) why would my apple device reset all the time?
6) my wifi has been sweet since 8.0.1. You think the few moaners here represent everybody? Nope, they represent 1% of users.
7) why would I still affected by heart bleed? That vunerabilty has been fixed AGES ago, unlike on your device. You living behind the moon or something?
8) my phone never crashes, freezes or resprings so I consider that pretty reliable and so do 99% of people using it.
9) objective opinion about that iPod pic I know but my god the old ios design is ugly and outdated by modern standards. Show me a pic of calendar, notes , reminder or game enter and I will throw up. :D

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
2) battery life is awesome. Your beloved ios 5 was famous for its battery draining glitch upon release.
3) what bloat ware? Podcasts, iBooks, newsstand, health? I use them all. Yes tips and apple watch app are meh but it's not bloat ware. I don't think you know what bloatware actually is. Try a Samsung
4) you ask about third party keyboards working reliably yet you don't have an android? What's your point?
6) my wifi has been sweet since 8.0.1. You think the few moaners here represent everybody? Nope, they represent 1% of users.
7) why would I still affected by heart bleed? That vunerabilty has been fixed AGES ago, unlike on your device. You living behind the moon or something?
8) my phone never crashes, freezes or resprings so I consider that pretty reliable and so do 99% of people using it.
9) objective opinion about that iPod pic I know but my god the old ios design is ugly and outdated by modern standards. Show me a pic of calendar, notes , reminder or game enter and I will throw up. :D
Interesting how many of the "modern" standards are mostly old fads coming back. As has often been the case for a long time now.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Interesting how many of the "modern" standards are mostly old fads coming back. As has often been the case for a long time now.

You know what's an old fad, Skeuomorphism.
We are way past that because poeple these days know how to use a touch screen phone. We don't need fake leather anymore to point out the obvious. Right?

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Let the arguments begin

It's funny, I don't have iOS 5 anymore. I have iOS 6.1.6 on my iPod 4! The heartbleed hack has been patched, It runs fast, and can handle almost every app.

1. iOS 8 can be a glitch fest depending on the device. iPhone 4S iOS 8 anyone?
2. every iOS has horrible battery life in the early versions. Even with iOS 8, after you turn of paralax and, bold everything, it still drains faster than 6.1.6 and even iOS 4!

3. Bloatware is a opinion depending about the user. For example, would you want a iBooks app on your iPhone if you never touch it?` Even the Apple Watch app that you cannot have due to having a 4S? :D

4. 3rd Party keyboards are compatable with iOS 8. So far, they crash, pop up randomly or, fail to come up at all! I have tested this with a iPad 3 and, the keyboard (regular and 3rd party) still pops up! Try having this happen while playing Clash of Clans!

5. I have seen iOS 8 devices reset and freeze a ton. This also applies to apps fully updates that STILL crash when there iOS 7 and iOS 6 counterparts are bulletproof reliable. :p

6. How do you know that you do not have wifi Problems. It could be minor or severe. Of course, the severe is more noticible and, 1% of iOS 8 is a Huge number!

7. I made a mistake. Heartbleed is a thing of the past. Wanted to mention Freak which iOS 8.2 still does not patch. Finally, there is always the NSA's back doors

8. iOS 8 has come a long way. Especially 8.2 and 8.1.3. However, there are all the little bugs left like, choppiness, landscape mode lock. With durability of the phone itself, each iPhone is getting more delicate. a 4S does not bend like a 6_ Finally, a iPhone 5 can survive a screen crack while the newer retina displays and finally, Bend-gate (6+ bends)

9.You call this quality. Rumor has it Jony iVes and his Materialism bosos made all off the iOS 7/8 layouts in MICROSOFT WORD! No joke! They changed it because they were power hungry. Not because it would innovate. Heck, they even removed features native to iOS 6 (tweet from notification center)!:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZp7BvQJnU8

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
It's funny, I don't have iOS 5 anymore. I have iOS 6.1.6 on my iPod 4! The heartbleed hack has been patched, It runs fast, and can handle almost every app.

1. iOS 8 can be a glitch fest depending on the device. iPhone 4S iOS 8 anyone?
2. every iOS has horrible battery life in the early versions. Even with iOS 8, after you turn of paralax and, bold everything, it still drains faster than 6.1.6 and even iOS 4!

3. Bloatware is a opinion depending about the user. For example, would you want a iBooks app on your iPhone if you never touch it?` Even the Apple Watch app that you cannot have due to having a 4S? :D

4. 3rd Party keyboards are compatable with iOS 8. So far, they crash, pop up randomly or, fail to come up at all! I have tested this with a iPad 3 and, the keyboard (regular and 3rd party) still pops up! Try having this happen while playing Clash of Clans!

5. I have seen iOS 8 devices reset and freeze a ton. This also applies to apps fully updates that STILL crash when there iOS 7 and iOS 6 counterparts are bulletproof reliable. :p

6. How do you know that you do not have wifi Problems. It could be minor or severe. Of course, the severe is more noticible and, 1% of iOS 8 is a Huge number!

7. I made a mistake. Heartbleed is a thing of the past. Wanted to mention Freak which iOS 8.2 still does not patch. Finally, there is always the NSA's back doors

8. iOS 8 has come a long way. Especially 8.2 and 8.1.3. However, there are all the little bugs left like, choppiness, landscape mode lock. With durability of the phone itself, each iPhone is getting more delicate. a 4S does not bend like a 6_ Finally, a iPhone 5 can survive a screen crack while the newer retina displays and finally, Bend-gate (6+ bends)

9.You call this quality. Rumor has it Jony iVes and his Materialism bosos made all off the iOS 7/8 layouts in MICROSOFT WORD! No joke! They changed it because they were power hungry. Not because it would innovate. Heck, they even removed features native to iOS 6 (tweet from notification center)!:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZp7BvQJnU8

1) it's not a glitch fest on a 4s as well, it might be slower but it's not glitchy
2) exactly, especially iOS 5. So there is no point pretending it's ios 8 specific
3) bloatware is software that runs on top of an OS like samsungs touch wiz and they tend to slow down devices and that's why it's called bloatware. Having more apps on the iPhone that don't do anything is NOT bloatware.
4) I don't really use 3rd party keyboards but what you describe is BS. They might have issues with last used keyboards not being remembered sometimes etc but they surely don't crash all the time.
5) so because you have seen it that means it's a universal issue, oh please. My devices never crash, neither do my parents or anybody I know. Stop saying this
6) how do I know I don't have wifi issues? You must be joking?
7) wrong again. Freak was fixed with 8.2, although some 3rd party apps still have that vulnerability. Where are you checking your facts? Why are you so keen to point out security vulnerabilities anyway when you run an os from 3 years ago? What's your point?
8) bend gate? That shows me you have no clue about real issues. Bendgate aftected 0.1% users, it's unreal that people still believe this nonsense. I do agree tho that there are some random performs issues like stutter once in a while and hopefully they addres that soon.
9) what are you on about? The majority of people think ios 7-8 is much better looking than 1-6. Skeuomorphism is going the way of the dodo bird and I am so glad. Removing Tweeting in notifcation centre is your point of critic, what about all the other million features YOU are missing out on?

Last edited:

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Today, I took out a old iPhone 4 which suprisingly is running iOS 5.1.1:D! Somehow the battery is better than my 4S too.

I still get that annoying Youtube Message but, overall right now it is still working for me! :p

I feel that the main reason why Youtube is discontinuing the old iOS 5 service is because of the no adds included.;)

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Today, I took out a old iPhone 4 which suprisingly is running iOS 5.1.1:D! Somehow the battery is better than my 4S too.

I still get that annoying Youtube Message but, overall right now it is still working for me! :p

I feel that the main reason why Youtube is discontinuing the old iOS 5 service is because of the no adds included.;)

I still have never seen that message on my iPad 3 which is still running 5.1.1 just for that reason, well there are reasons why it's on iOS 5. :p

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
I still have never seen that message on my iPad 3 which is still running 5.1.1 just for that reason, well there are reasons why it's on iOS 5. :p

wow really? My message appeared last night (The first result on any youtube video). Supposidly, I feel that this is another scam to get us users to update. :( ?

Ironically, on Youtube I interpreted this message as any device capacable to iOS 7? :apple:? Or any device manufactured before 2012. However, on my iPod Touch 4th Gen (6.1.6), I got no message. Even more shocking my iPhone 4S running 6.1.3 did not get the message.

This morning on iOS 5.1.1, I did some further investigating. Supposidly Youtube offered another app besides the stock one for 5.x? :D Right now to my understanding, maybe this only applies to the App Store downloadable version?

I am signed into my google account on 5.1.1 if that helps.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Who gives a **** about what iOS version is better between 5 and 8 seriously, it's not the point of the thread, everyone have their own tastes. However, crashoverride you have to admit the truth, iOS 8 is much more bugged than iOS 7 and any other iOS. I've never seen so much people complaining about a iOS version on this site.
Back to the thread, OP I have read on a website that YouTube dropped support for devices that are running older iOS versions which mean you have to be at least on iOS 7 to use the YouTube app. In my opinion, if for any reason you don't like iOS 8 (performance, design, etc) stay on iOS 5 it's not worth it, you'll never be able to downgrade.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Who gives a **** about what iOS version is better between 5 and 8 seriously, it's not the point of the thread, everyone have their own tastes. However, crashoverride you have to admit the truth, iOS 8 is much more bugged than iOS 7 and any other iOS. I've never seen so much people complaining about a iOS version on this site.
Back to the thread, OP I have read on a website that YouTube dropped support for devices that are running older iOS versions which mean you have to be at least on iOS 7 to use the YouTube app. In my opinion, if for any reason you don't like iOS 8 (performance, design, etc) stay on iOS 5 it's not worth it, you'll never be able to downgrade.

True. One of my main themes, is that we all have a different taste of style. There is no way I would ever update to iOS 7 on my 4, 8.x on my 4s and 8.x on my iPad Air. :)

I am so lucky I found my old iPhone before my father found it (He updated a iPhone from 6.x to 7 TWICE:mad:) On the bright side, he cannot get into my 4S:cool:! I am going to guard the iPhone 4 and ensure it stays on iOS 5 :D!

Thanks for the help :cool:;)

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
wow really? My message appeared last night (The first result on any youtube video). Supposidly, I feel that this is another scam to get us users to update. :( ?

I went to the featured videos and I did see the Google warning as the first video. I went to a video on the same page and it went straight thru, no warnings or messages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.