Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
It matters to those who can't upgrade to anything higher than iOS 5 and don't want to buy another tablet.

Yes and no. First, youtube stated it will still be supported through the browser.

If your device supports iOS 7 or above, you can download the YouTube app from the App Store. If not, visit m.youtube.com in your mobile browser to access YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/devicesupport

----------

I went to the featured videos and I did see the Google warning as the first video. I went to a video on the same page and it went straight thru, no warnings or messages.

For me, the video is all that was there. Just like you no warnings or messages on each video (besides the first result)

Could always be worse. At least we do not get spammed with warning messages:):p

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
It matters to those who can't upgrade to anything higher than iOS 5 and don't want to buy another tablet.

Yeah I see your point but I was talking about the iOS 5 vs iOS 8 war. By the way, that's how it works now, many 3GS/iPod 4/iPad 1 customers can't download apps that worked perfectly before because you need iOS 7. Apple force you to buy a recent device even if you don't really need it, that's sad.

TRDmanAE86 : Ahah, you're so right. I have an iPad Air and an iPhone 6 both running iOS 8. iPhone 6 is pretty fine since iOS 8.2, no complain but iPad Air is not stable, a lot of bugs however I bought it already on iOS 8, too bad I would never have updated from iOS 7.
By the way, you can downgrade iPhone 4 to iOS 5, did it on mine but it's thethered downgrade so it's a bit annoying.

EDIT : btw about the thread, here is the source : https://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/20/youtube-older-apple-tv-discontinued/

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Yeah I see your point but I was talking about the iOS 5 vs iOS 8 war. By the way, that's how it works now, many 3GS/iPod 4/iPad 1 customers can't download apps that worked perfectly before. Apple force you to buy a recent device even if you don't really need it, that's sad.

TRDmanAE86 : Ahah, you're so right. I have an iPad Air and an iPhone 6 both running iOS 8. iPhone 6 is pretty fine since iOS 8, no complain but iPad Air is not stable, a lot of bugs however I bought it already on iOS 8, too bad I would never have updated from iOS 7.
By the way, you can downgrade iPhone 4 to iOS 5, did it on mine but it's thethered downgrade so it's a bit annoying.

EDIT : btw about the thread, here is the source : https://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/20/youtube-older-apple-tv-discontinued/

sweet thanks so much :cool:! I completely forgot about the downgrade tecneque for A4 chips ;)! Just to be on the safe side, I am going to keep the iPhone 4 in my possession!

I know that ironacally, currently 8.3 on a iPad 2 runs pretty good (Brother's iPad)!

iOS 8.3 on my brother's 5S runs like a champ

My friend is looking for a iOS 6 iPhone (her iPhone 3GS running iOS 4 is on its last leg :( )so, I may use this tecneque to get her good old iOS 6 on a iPhone 4! ;) (Before she shopped, I showed her the difference in UI between 5.x 6.x 7.x and 8.x She liked 6.x the best:cool:)

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Yeah it's strange some devices have no problems on iOS 8 (like my iPhone 6) but some others doesn't handle it well.
Yeah you could do that, iPhone 4 is a big step ahead compared to 3GS (retina, thin, front camera, and more) but remember it's thethered downgrade so it can be annoying to use the computer each time you need to reboot it.
By the way, I prefer the iOS 7 design but I looooooove iOS 6 design aswell, wish I had a great device running iOS 6 (my 4 is broken, no wifi, broken camera, broken home button).

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Yeah it's strange some devices have no problems on iOS 8 (like my iPhone 6) but some others doesn't handle it well.
Yeah you could do that, iPhone 4 is a big step ahead compared to 3GS (retina, thin, front camera, and more) but remember it's thethered downgrade so it can be annoying to use the computer each time you need to reboot it.
By the way, I prefer the iOS 7 design but I looooooove iOS 6 design aswell, which I had a great device running iOS 6 (my 4 is broken, no wifi, broken camera, broken home button).

i tend to prefer the old iOS 6 design. However, I can agree that some of the UI looks overrated. Also, I love the control pannel on iOS 7.

A little off topic, I had to clean up the iPhone 4's home button. Is it stuck or, is it hard to press? If it is hard to press, I saw a solution online....

If you take a cue tip, and rub it against the home button, you can make it more responsive after heavy use. The logic is that modern humans hands have natural harmless oil on them that get stuck on devices you use a lot. In this case, its your iPhone's home button. A cue tip can remove the natural oil on your home button and, make your iPhone (Or other apple device) easier to press.

I did this on my iPod 4, iPhone 4S, a IPad 2, iPad Air ect (I have not done it on any recent apple device with a Touch ID though)

Hope this helps :D

Last edited:

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
It works but it's really hard to press, I mean almost every time I press it nothing happen. Someone already replaced it by a brand new one but it's still hard to press it. Cue tip ? Can you send me a photo ? I'm french and don't know that word. Tried to translate but Google Translator failed to translate it correctly lol.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
It works but it's really hard to press, I mean almost every time I press it nothing happen. Someone already replaced it by a brand new one but it's still hard to press it. Cue tip ? Can you send me a photo ? I'm french and don't know that word. Tried to translate but Google Translator failed to translate it correctly lol.

It's fine I completely understand :D

I just found out there is a couple of ways to say/spell it ;)

Cue Tip (I use this pronunciation and spelling)
Q-Tip

Cotten Swab

Hope this helps:D;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 222

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
They'll probably kill the stock iOS 5 YouTube app, oh well. Still not going to make me upgrade past iOS 5. In fact i'll probably just visit Apple's website everyday just to annoy their iOS metrics. :p

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
They'll probably kill the stock iOS 5 YouTube app, oh well. Still not going to make me upgrade past iOS 5. In fact i'll probably just visit Apple's website everyday just to annoy their iOS metrics. :p

exactly. On iOS 5, the stock youtube app displays the message. The next generation ad one shows no message:D

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I believe you have to visit the App Store (and perhaps do something in it) to be included in those metrics.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I believe you have to visit the App Store (and perhaps do something in it) to be included in those metrics.

I was on the App Store a few days ago with my iPhone 2G running the latest OS it can, iOS 3.1.3. I'll be sure to visit periodically!

----------

The YouTube app on it is the same. Looks like any YouTube viewing will have to be done through Safari, and it does work just fine, although searching for and playing videos is slower than the stock app.

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
Back to the thread topic, it looks like the good old iOS 5 Youtube app has effectively stopped working now (same for our old AppleTV and a 3y-old Sony smart TV BTW).

The kids were using the old iPad 1 at home, to play casual games and ... watch Youtube videos. They are now constantly trying to steal their parents' more recent iPads ;)

Other than buying them a more recent tablet, is there a third party Youtube app that would both work on the iOS 5 iPad 1 and be compatible with the latest Youtube API? Most third party apps seem to require iOS 6 or 7.:(

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Back to the thread topic, it looks like the good old iOS 5 Youtube app has effectively stopped working now (same for our old AppleTV and a 3y-old Sony smart TV BTW).

The kids were using the old iPad 1 at home, to play casual games and ... watch Youtube videos. They are now constantly trying to steal their parents' more recent iPads ;)

Other than buying them a more recent tablet, is there a third party Youtube app that would both work on the iOS 5 iPad 1 and be compatible with the latest Youtube API? Most third party apps seem to require iOS 6 or 7.:(

I father figured out there is a Google branded YouTube app for iOS 5. It can be found on the App Store. This is the same one that is the modern equivalent.

However, if you have not purchased it on the same iTunes account on your iPad, the app will not download and, you will get a iOS 6. Message.

If you get the warning message, don't frown. There is a procedure to get the last updated version of the app.

Way 1.
1a. 1st find a newer iOS device with at least iOS 6.
Sing into the kids iTunes account and, go onto the App Store and search YouTube. You should see exibit #1 displayed bellow

2a. Get the app (it's free but has adds)

3a. Go on your kids iPad and, using there iTunes account, go into the App Store app/ click the updates tab on the bottom / then the purchased tab on the top of that screen/ click not on this iPad and download.

Way 2b

1b. Use a computer to download the app (inside the iTunes app on your OC, go into the App Store and, purchase the app. Then repeat steps 3a)

By doing these 2 methods, the app can be purchased and you will get the exibit 3 screen. Thus you will get the exibit 2 app that is the official YouTube app which surprisingly works with iOS 5.x (exibit screen 3 is my iOS 5 iPhone 4)

Sorry about my sloppy image. I used a wallpaper app since I am on my iPad now.

Hope this helps:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 269

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I father figured out there is a Google branded YouTube app for iOS 5. It can be found on the App Store. This is the same one that is the modern equivalent.

However, if you have not purchased it on the same iTunes account on your iPad, the app will not download and, you will get a iOS 6. Message.

If you get the warning message, don't frown. There is a procedure to get the last updated version of the app.

Way 1.
1a. 1st find a newer iOS device with at least iOS 6.
Sing into the kids iTunes account and, go onto the App Store and search YouTube. You should see exibit #1 displayed bellow

2a. Get the app (it's free but has adds)

3a. Go on your kids iPad and, using there iTunes account, go into the App Store app/ click the updates tab on the bottom / then the purchased tab on the top of that screen/ click not on this iPad and download.

Way 2b

1b. Use a computer to download the app (inside the iTunes app on your OC, go into the App Store and, purchase the app. Then repeat steps 3a)

By doing these 2 methods, the app can be purchased and you will get the exibit 3 screen. Thus you will get the exibit 2 app that is the official YouTube app which surprisingly works with iOS 5.x (exibit screen 3 is my iOS 5 iPhone 4)

Sorry about my sloppy image. I used a wallpaper app since I am on my iPad now.

Hope this helps:)

Is it really from Google?

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Which one is it? I can't seem to recall one in iOS 5 App Store.

It's odd. I was surprised too at first that iOS 5 got another YouTube app that was downloadable from the store!:eek: Thought it only worked in iOS 6 too. Would u like to see some images of it? They are currently loading in my photo stream?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's odd. I was surprised too at first that iOS 5 got another YouTube app that was downloadable from the store!:eek: Thought it only worked in iOS 6 too. Would u like to see some images of it? They are currently loading in my photo stream?
Sure. I was also wondering what the link would be to it in the iOS 5 App Store and what the details of its App Store page say.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Sure. I was also wondering what the link would be to it in the iOS 5 App Store and what the details of its App Store page say.

Ok here it is. My version is 1.3x (last comparable version for iOS 5). I find it interesting how late this app was released. Also, maybe 1.4.x adopted the UI that we still see today? I know for a fact YouTube had that same skin before iOS 7. On my iPod Touch 4th gen, I had both the original UI and the modern one (the modern UI has better features like being able to choose the pixel resolution.

Hope this brings back memories of the early iOS 6 days!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    636.6 KB · Views: 297

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
I did install the Google YouTube app, but it looks like the version working on iOS 5 no longer works with YouTube 's api

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
The native youtube app on iOS 5 was working for me past the Apr 20th "shutdown" date, on my iOS 5 devices. Some people reported it was not working for them but it was still fine for me.

However, I checked yesterday and now it no longer works. Stopped working on all of them. Not even 4 days ago it was still working for me across 3 separate iOS 5 devices. A shame, as the native youtube app was excellent - never a single ad. One can still download a youtube app from the app store (older version - 1.3) or access youtube from the browser. It seems to be working fine for me.

Google maps native app works fine still. Its very fast on the iPhone 4 and 3GS, so hopefully this app does not get shut down any time soon as youtube did.

Just wanted to post update as per thread topic

Very strange how the native youtube app was still working up until several days ago. Then all of a sudden - no more (given it has been quite some time since Apr 20)

Last edited:

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
The native youtube app on iOS 5 was working for me past the Apr 20th "shutdown" date, on my iOS 5 devices. Some people reported it was not working for them but it was still fine for me.

However, I checked yesterday and now it no longer works. Stopped working on all of them. Not even 4 days ago it was still working for me across 3 separate iOS 5 devices. A shame, as the native youtube app was excellent - never a single ad. One can still download a youtube app from the app store (older version - 1.3) or access youtube from the browser. It seems to be working fine for me.

Google maps native app works fine still. Its very fast on the iPhone 4 and 3GS, so hopefully this app does not get shut down any time soon as youtube did.

Just wanted to post update as per thread topic

Very strange how the native youtube app was still working up until several days ago. Then all of a sudden - no more (given it has been quite some time since Apr 20)

The old Native YouTube App was suburb (except for not having the option to change the screen resolution)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

I suspect that Google was gradually turning servers off instead of doing a "big bang". It's a good plan if you're not 100% certain that you're not going to break anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.