Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you disable the parallax?

• Yeah

Votes: 82 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 88 47.8%
  • Still Undecided

Votes: 14 7.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

valypan

macrumors regular
May 21, 2002
Denmark
When you say space wallpaper do you mean one of the dynamic ones with the circles on, if so i have tried that and still cant see any difference, everything just looks normal too me.

It definitely all works on iPhone 4S. I can see both the dynamic wallpaper (set on lock screen here) and the parallax effect on the home screen. When you select the dynamic wallpapers, don´t you see the bubbles move about on the screen? Also make sure you have reduce motion turned off under the accessibility settings

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
No lag on my iPad 4 or iPhone 4s.

I tilt the device, it responds instantly and I see behind the icons.

I certainly don't dislike parallax, it just didn't really add anything for me personally.

Im on an iPhone 5. the "lag" is extremely small, just a fraction of a second, but it makes it feel less natural for me.

Maybe its that I was expecting the effect to be much more pronounced than it is so I'm expecting things to move further and faster than they are.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
I can confirm after doing tests with Xcode's Instruments that the parallax effects only uses the CPU/GPU in the home screen or when a system alert is visible.

What percentage of the time do you spend on your iOS device staring at your home screen or a system dialog? Probably a very small percentage...

So the parallax feature in itself shouldn't significantly contribute to battery usage.

It's possible though, that there's a bug in some iOS 7.0 installations that makes the parallax effect always use CPU even though it should not.

On my 4S I left just about everything on, including parallax and background updates, and I'm getting better battery life than on 6.0. I can almost go 2 days without a charge, and I installed the GM on the 10th.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
No, the space one is the ... space one, the default wallpaper. A blueish nebula.

The circles is dynamic and also responds. Turn your device on its side (hold it in landscape mode) and watch the circles drift to the bottom of screen (remember you're in landscape mode). Tilt the device around and the circles will drift from the (now) top to the (now) bottom.

Thanks for your help, got it now.

I have found the space one as well, i hadn't even noticed the effect as i have been using the dark grey speckled wallpaper and it doesn't show up very well on that one, it's a lot more noticeable on the space wallpaper. Think i might as well leave it turned on as i hadn't even noticed it anyway.

----------

It definitely all works on iPhone 4S. I can see both the dynamic wallpaper (set on lock screen here) and the parallax effect on the home screen. When you select the dynamic wallpapers, don´t you see the bubbles move about on the screen? Also make sure you have reduce motion turned off under the accessibility settings

Thanks sorted now.

anyjungleinguy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2012
I haven't noticed any difference in battery by having it off, so I keep it on.

It's also present when you view your open tabs in Safari; you can tilt to see a little more of each web page.

typeadam

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Yes. Love looking at it but I get bored w/ gimmicky stuff really easily so I rather just have a static display..

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
It's also on the lock screen.

I have it on because I like it.

Yeah of course also the lock screen. Still, it should normally represent only a small percent of your global usage and shouldn't make a big difference in battery life.

Essentially, parallax is used only for things that you use only for a few seconds at a time.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I disabled it so I don't have to go find a more loosely cropped version of my wallpaper. Because of the way parallax effect works*, it will crop your image, in some cases chopping off important parts (in my case, text was truncated on the right and left sides).

*It pre-renders the outer edges an image so it can slide it around the display to simulate a parallax shift.

libertysat

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
I like the effect

I have a picture of a wall someone made from large different naturally colored river rocks to create a scene with 2 large lizards (we are in the Arizona desert)

Lots of texture
The parallax effect is a subtle & interesting twist that I enjoy for a few moments now and then

Techwing

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
Reduce motion in accessibility options turns it off. I have a plsin dark-gray background for my home screen and I turned it off.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I had it on for a day, but found that with prolonged usage it makes me dizzy so I turned it off...It may be slower on a 5 than it will be on my 5S so I will give it another shot when my new phone comes. I also use static wallpapers as the dynamic ones distract me.

AppleMacDudeG4

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
turned it off

I turned it off since I have a photo on the background that does not work well with the parallax affect. In addition, I remember reading that looking at 3-D movies give people headaches if they watch movies for too long since the brain is not used to working this way. I figured the parallax will work out the same way.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Not that much of a detractor on the iPad.

Probably because it's rather massive compared to the iPhone and thus less prone in moving it about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.