Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you disable the parallax?

• Yeah

Votes: 82 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 88 47.8%
  • Still Undecided

Votes: 14 7.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Nice

I never had an iOS 7-cabable device but whenever I see the parallax on someone else's device, I find it extremely pleasing. It not only looks nice, it feels nice. There's depth to it and to me, it's more than just a gimmick.

The opposite of flat? Maybe.

Included as an option to offset the concerns of people who found iOS 7 too flat? That's a wild guess.

Technically it may be completely unnecessary, and I don't know whether it's a USP, but parallax was probably #3 on the shortlist of things that were long term attractors towards my first ever spend of a significant chunk of disposable income on a lovely chunk of Apple hardware.

Numbers #1 and #2 were CalDAV and CardDAV.

----

(Off-topic: as things turned out, my plans to purchase an iPhone – probably 5.x hardware at the time – were wiped out by the detraction of Yosemite. I continue to enjoy a refurbished first generation iPhone … I am, unapologetically, one of those people who makes things last, who expects things to last, who does not rush to purchase a novelty simply because it's novel.)

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Old thread yes, but I haven't used it in so long that I forgot it was there. I thought I try it out on my iPhone 6.

I assumed that with the M8 and the more powerful A8 chip the parallax would be nice and smooth, I still don't get the feature. The icon and wallpaper moment is still not a smooth 60 FPS and it's jittery, even when moved slowly. I just don't understand the feature. It seems to work better on an iPad than an iPhone.

----------

Also, tilting the phone left to right barely has any effect, while tiling it up and down has an overdramatic effect.

----------

If it worked like the original iOS 7 video demonstrated, but it just doesn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.