Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
I’ve heard people differ as to how comfortable/uncomfortable they find wearing the VP, but what I’m wondering is how much that level can change over time, if at all, and over how long of a period (ie. this isn’t a question for people who only used it a few times).

- How long were you able to wear it before really wanting to take it off in the beginning vs now (or when you stopped using the VP)?
- Over how much time did that change (if any) occur? Or if it wasn’t a linear change (eg. the first two weeks was the biggest hump), please describe.

Thanks.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I’ve heard people differ as to how comfortable/uncomfortable they find wearing the VP, but what I’m wondering is how much that level can change over time, if at all, and over how long of a period (ie. this isn’t a question for people who only used it a few times).

- How long were you able to wear it before really wanting to take it off in the beginning vs now (or when you stopped using the VP)?
- Over how much time did that change (if any) occur? Or if it wasn’t a linear change (eg. the first two weeks was the biggest hump), please describe.

Thanks.

Great questions. Had mine for about 2.5 weeks. Can’t say I’ve had issues wearing it for any period of time. Wore it less in the beginning but that’s as I was getting used to working with it more than comfort. And I was more concerned about how people around me. Would they think they I wasn’t present? Found out, not an issue.

There are days when I put it on and feel like I could wear it forever. There are times it feels heavy but it’s fairly rare. When it does feel heavy, I don’t feel like I need to take it off.

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
It has. I think for two reasons:

1) I’ve gotten better about how to put it on in the optimal position and
2) I’m more used to have something on my face now.

I use the solo loop exclusively, for up to six hours a day, although usually no longer than 2.5 hours in a row. (Often need to take it off for on camera meetings).

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
It’s like night and day for me now from when I first put it on. I can literally get lost in what I’m doing and forget I have it on these days. It’s not until I stop focusing in on what I’m doing and see the the edges of the POV that I’m reminded I have it on. I’m used to the added weight of the device at this point and have gone for hours with the headset on without feeling it’s added weight.

Pink Panther84

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
For sure.

However, after using the Double Loop Band for a week it's the better option for overall comfort.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I had a 21w and it wasnt too bad for comfort but occasionally it put pressure on my face in a way that my right eye Hrut and felt strained so i replaced it with a 22w… the 22w was uncomfortable at first but now i have no issues with it at all as long as the strap isn’t too high up on my head

Reactions: G5isAlive

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
My experience has definitely improved over the almost 3 weeks I’ve had it. At first an hour seemed like a long time. That was probably my fault because I was using it before the lenses arrived. It looked clear but made me woozy. I’ve learned not to move my head around in awe of the Environments and Panoramas so much. So the motion sickness is all but gone. The weight seemed like a big deal the first day I got it and used it more than 30 minutes. Now I rarely think about it.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
My comfort level has definitely increased over time in several different ways:

1) Amount of time I can look at 3D movies before my eyes get tired and need a break
2) Amount of time I can USE the thing and not just want to constantly look at something different
3) Amount of time I can wear the hardware in general
4) Speed at which I can physically get the hardware on my face at the optimal position

As others have mentioned, I went from needing frequent breaks to needing almost no breaks in the span of about 2 weeks. Even 3D movies, which typically bother me in any format, don't bother me anymore on this device.

I suffer from chronic neck and back issues and haven't even had any problems in that area either. This is actually the main thing I was worried about during pre-order.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
It takes a while to get used to the fit and knowing when to adjust it.

There are other elements as mentioned here, I think your brain has to get used to the presentation and allow your senses to relax to experience it with low strain.

I think Apple has improved clarity, especially with 1.1. The IPD adjustment I’ve had pop twice since updating—maybe that’s a bug or the system is checking and adjusting more carefully.

One other item was I cleaned the lenses several days ago for the first time. This may sound silly but I hadn’t paid attention to them and they had residue that needed to be cleared.

Anyhow all of this stuff plays into it. It’s far, far more complex of a device to use than a phone.

iPhone is trivial to use in comparison, though I remember my first experiences with swipe gestures for iOS when the home button was to be eliminated and that felt bizarre.

Ensyed

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
It has. I can use for 2 hrs at a time.
Especially after I added a second strap to the solo strap. Someone recommended a cpap strap going across the top of the head

Reactions: spiderman0616

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
It takes a while to get used to the fit and knowing when to adjust it.

There are other elements as mentioned here, I think your brain has to get used to the presentation and allow your senses to relax to experience it with low strain.

I think Apple has improved clarity, especially with 1.1. The IPD adjustment I’ve had pop twice since updating—maybe that’s a bug or the system is checking and adjusting more carefully.

One other item was I cleaned the lenses several days ago for the first time. This may sound silly but I hadn’t paid attention to them and they had residue that needed to be cleared.

Anyhow all of this stuff plays into it. It’s far, far more complex of a device to use than a phone.

iPhone is trivial to use in comparison, though I remember my first experiences with swipe gestures for iOS when the home button was to be eliminated and that felt bizarre.
I felt like the clarity improved a bit after 1.1 as well. I don’t think you’re imagining it. And I was thinking the same thing—the pupil measurement must be more accurate now.

arfung

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2015
Definitely. After using Dual Loop, I’ve gone back to the single and figured how how to use it comfortably. The bad is high on my head in the back; I adjust it up and down until I feel “even” pressure on cheeks and forehead when tightening the wheel; and then I loosen the wheel just a bit so that it isn’t pulling on cheeks and forehead.

Also, I feel like the clarity of both laptop pass through and rendering of AVP apps is getting a little clearer with each release. 1.1 looks better than 1.0 and 1.1.1 looks sharper to me compared to 1.1. May be placebo effect.

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Nothing changed for me which is why I returned it.

Side note: it's amazing to see how far off the activity on this forum has dropped compared to right around the release date.

Reactions: MockT

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
The subreddit is pretty active.

A lot of it is macrumors, I think. for one, the sub forum is totally buried.

But that’s not enough to explain the level of discussion.

To make this a hotbed of discussion, the site needs to be doing real reporting like interviewing app developers and detailed summaries of accessories.

There are many content pieces that could be written that are not right now.

There is even plenty of space to do affiliate marketing but the market size is pretty small.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Subreddits and discord channels are as active as ever. This forum did drop off, interestingly.
I stopped commenting about Vision Pro on this specific site because you can’t talk about it without someone being a jackass. That’s pretty much every topic on this forum honestly, but especially AVP.

This is not a good place to just “discuss” things. You have to constantly defend yourself from trolls.

Polinsky

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2023
I stopped commenting about Vision Pro on this specific site because you can’t talk about it without someone being a jackass. That’s pretty much every topic on this forum honestly, but especially AVP.

This is not a good place to just “discuss” things. You have to constantly defend yourself from trolls.
Completely agree. I can't even read the front page article discussions anymore. It's rabid anti Apple and anti AVP comments that are a complete waste of time. And let's not forget the jokes. Like "is Safari snappier" and "something -gate". Intelligent discussion simply isn't possible anymore. And these other forums, like this one, are similarly being infiltrated by hate.

Polinsky

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2023
Side note: it's amazing to see how far off the activity on this forum has dropped compared to right around the release date.
And why do you think that is? The answer is that those interested in intelligent discussion are drowned out by the haters. So why bother visiting or posting?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.