Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
When Apple was developing the PowerMacs 7700, 8700 and 9700, the engineers also added a new (or 'enhanced') startup sound to the test models.

The final product would have had the original startup sound nonetheless (although Apple never released these models).

So my bet is that the startup sound is going to be what it's like right now.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
I'd like for it to stay the same, but I rarely ever hear it anyways so it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I've heard that the startup chime, at least on the macs pre-g3, was a little bit different for every model; I think I heard some differences between the chimes before I learned about that too. Can anyone confirm if it's a bit different between models (which could be attributed to the built-in speakers either way)?
-Chase

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
rendezvouscp said:
I'd like for it to stay the same, but I rarely ever hear it anyways so it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I've heard that the startup chime, at least on the macs pre-g3, was a little bit different for every model; I think I heard some differences between the chimes before I learned about that too. Can anyone confirm if it's a bit different between models (which could be attributed to the built-in speakers either way)?
-Chase

No. Not every Mac model had its own startup sound.
The startup sound evolved over the years, starting with a simple beep on the original Macintoshes, a multi-tone variant on the Macintosh II and SEs and a bass version on the late 68k models. The late Centris and Quadra models already featured the startup sound, which was also used on most of the PowerMacs (another variant of the bass startup sound) and is still in use today. The only exception were the first PowerMac models (6100, 7100, 5200, 5300, 8100) and the Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh.
On models with lousy speakers (like the PM 4400), the same sound might have sounded a bit different, but in most cases it actually was the same.

You can check out all startup sounds in MacTracker.
http://www.mactracker.ca

michael666

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2003
in front of a computer
Apropos, is there a way to turn off the chime completely? Making noise on startup is cheap and disturbing in silent environments, when I forgot to press mute before shutting down.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
michael666 said:
Apropos, is there a way to turn off the chime completely? Making noise on startup is cheap and disturbing in silent environments, when I forgot to press mute before shutting down.

Yeah.

Go to the dollar store.

Buy some headphones, hack off the end and jam the jack into the headphone port. Voila.

Its' muted. :D

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
In the rare event that I do reboot my PowerBook, I would be very sad if I didn't hear that distinctive Apple chime. I've gotten used to hearing it from back with my first PowerBook 180c. With the "Happy Mac" gone, and "Classic" not making the switch to Intel, this is one of the last reminants of the original Mac systems. If Apple really wants to make this transition as seamless as possible, they should leave well enough alone. There is no need to mess with the startup chime.

Honestly, it makes very little impact on my plan to purchase a new Mac in a few months, but it does bother me a bit.:)

DStaal

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
It wouldn't suprize me if the chime was subtlely different.

But it would suprize me if an average person would notice unless they had just heard a pre-Intel startup chime.

The chime has evolved, another modification here wouldn't be out of line. But the sound should have the same general feel.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
What, is it going to play the Deathstar March music from Star Wars?

Actually the Quadra 840 (which was big enough if you buy two you can make a really good sawhorse with their cases, trust me, I have) had a distinctly different, warmer, richer, chime than the other Macs, and actually prettier than the current crop do as well.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
scottlinux said:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16425

This mutes the startup chime. A must have, esp if you use your laptop in a classroom, etc where you don't particularly want it to make a noise when booting.

Good link will work wonders with my iBook, as for the chime i wouldnt be surprised if they do something slightly different with the intel mac's but who cares its not like the present startup chime is a thing of beauty lol

Shadow

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
Doraemon said:
When Apple was developing the PowerMacs 7700, 8700 and 9700, the engineers also added a new (or 'enhanced') startup sound to the test models.

The final product would have had the original startup sound nonetheless (although Apple never released these models).

So my bet is that the startup sound is going to be what it's like right now.

Don't know what macs your talking about here, but my presumption is that you mean the Power Macintosh 6100, 7100 and 8100, which were the first PowerPC Macs in 1994, more than a decade ago.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac/index.html

I bought one of the 7100/60s at work. 32 MBs of RAM cost $2,000.

I remember the startup sound reportedly being enhanced by a guitar strum by Stanley Jordon.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
physics_gopher said:
In the rare event that I do reboot my PowerBook, I would be very sad if I didn't hear that distinctive Apple chime. I've gotten used to hearing it from back with my first PowerBook 180c. With the "Happy Mac" gone, and "Classic" not making the switch to Intel, this is one of the last reminants of the original Mac systems. If Apple really wants to make this transition as seamless as possible, they should leave well enough alone. There is no need to mess with the startup chime.

Well said, Gopher.

Bring back the Happy Mac!

HappyMac.jpg

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
Steamboatwillie said:
I hope it's not the Intel chime from thier TV commercials. :confused:

Well, like the original info said, it is not supposed to be that... Personnaly, I wish Apple would keep it classic like the original.

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
physics_gopher said:

Honestly, it makes very little impact on my plan to purchase a new Mac in a few months, but it does bother me a bit.:)

Classic not making the switch to Intel?!? It didnt even make the switch to G5, who the heck would ever expect Apple to port it to Intel? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.