Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CANEHDN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Eagle Mountain, UT
Kingsly said:
I love the current startup chime. When I wake up in the morning and start up my computer I always make sure my mixer and therefore my speakers are on. Fore some reason hearing that sound makes me feel all warm inside and happy that my mac is still there, and therefore it will be an excellent day.
Besides, when I bring over PC friends and turn up the volume before booting up my mac its like having the power of god emanating from the computer, "buhhhhhhhh!" and everyone's heart beats a little faster...
shortly afterwards I press Apple+N, Apple+N, Apple+N, Shift+F9 and they have all heart attacks.

A mac without that chime just wouldn't be a mac...
-Kingsly

A true Apple fan. Best Post Ever.:cool:

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
I wouldn't be shocked if the chime was different on the Developer lease equipment -- it would allow Apple to verify the hardware is theirs and not a replica.

Furthermore, it wouldn't be shocking if Apple 'tweaked' the chime in the same way that they did when the Quadra A/V Macs first arrived. (I still remember the "shock" that occurred the first time I started my 660AV.) ;)

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
CoolBreeze2444 said:
They are all annoying and useless anyway.
Um... perhaps you missed the part where the chime tells you whether or not the hardware is working properly, e.g. you get a chime if everything is okay, you get a nasty crash sound (or twilight zone melody on older machines) if you have a hardware problem that will prevent the system from booting.

And don't forget about the fact that the chime lets you know when the PRAM's been zapped by chiming each time it is reset until you release the [CMD]-[OPT]-[P]-[R] combo at startup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.