Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leagueoflegos

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2022
What you say does not make sense to me. My experience building 4-color double-truck ads did not make file sizes that overwhelmed mass storage in any sense. What are the sizes of your five largest "big Illustrator and InDesign files" ?

Usually if one has trouble working like you describe it is because of file management; i.e. unused files need to get offloaded on to another disk. RAM, however, critically affects performance and is on-chip, so it cannot be changed once purchased.
I would say it depends on the design, page count, layers, resolution of embedded/linked files, etc. I'm building a design now in Photoshop that is 72GB, but because of scratch my SSD storage immediately loses an additional ~150GB when opened. And that's not including potential Swap Memory (I have 32GB RAM).

Reactions: Saturn007

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
What you say does not make sense to me. My experience building 4-color double-truck ads did not make file sizes that overwhelmed mass storage in any sense. What are the sizes of your five largest "big Illustrator and InDesign files" ? Usually if one has trouble working like you describe it is because of file management; i.e. unused files need to get offloaded on to another disk.
My team at work was using Creative Cloud file sharing which (insanely) did not have selective sync, so the only choice was to download everything instead of being able to pick files to actually download. I had no choice in the matter and had multiple huge projects shared with me that totalled like 250+ GB and were killing my SSD. Fortunately we moved off Adobe's terrible sync service and onto Google Drive, which is decent and does allow more controlled use of space. Still, there are situations that just overwhelm storage, and using external storage on a laptop is not at all fun.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
If storage is important for you, I would go for 8g/1 to
it’s so annoying to cope with an external drive or usb, it makes file management very confusing

^^^ THIS ^^^

Those touting the ease of “adding” storage could, in fact, be condemning the OP to the frustrations of dongle #*$! Yet, it would be even worse than that as a dangling external drive is worse to deal with than any tiny old adapter dongle!

I relate to the emphasis on storage. My internal SSD capacity is primarily occupied by photographs … it’s incredibly inconvenient to juggle storage with an external drive — and just as bad to juggle multiple photo libraries.

Many of us who are into photography, home videos, and collecting astronomical images — from Hubble or Webb Space Telescopes — and historical PDFs that we annotate, want the ease of access, and general convenience, of having our “stuff” all in one place, locally, with us. Makes backing up much simpler, too.

8GB is a non-issue for the average Mac user.

For sure, I agree with those who recommend the 16GB/1TB option as ideal, even if an M2 and refurbished…

There is a point at which if one can afford $1,400 on a new latest MBA or MBP, then they can afford $1,600 refurbished and get both upgrades.*

But, truly, by the time the 8GB really becomes a bear, the OP may well a newer laptop, anyway!

——————————

*The actual pricing might be off a tad, but the bottom line is that if spending over a thousand is a budget crunch, it might be better to reconsider getting the Mac entirely or going for a much older, cheaper model.

Reactions: Torty and Geekett

terryw1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2018
phoenix
Was in the same dilemm. Unfortunately budget was limited as well. Have had macs(mostly mbp) with 8 gb ram and that was simply too little. My heaviest use was photo editing and making movies, most of that software today requites 16gb ram. Can not run around with an external ssd. Too cumbersome and a pita.

my solution was a m2 air with 16gb and 1tb in midnite. It was an Apple refurb and I added AppleCare. I love this machine. No video swapping, 12-15 browsers open, no issues. This ran 1309 on the apple refurb store before applecare.

would highly recommend this option as I just checked and it is avaiable.

terryw1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2018
phoenix
Just checked refurb store and you can get this for 1223. A real buy!!
[/URL]

Last edited:

richardpage

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2014
It hacks me off when companies such as Apple virtue signal about being eco-friendly etc. but in reality they are doing the opposite by hard wiring RAM and storage so you are unable to self upgrade your laptop. Now, if you find you have run out of storage or RAM and you need to upgrade you will have to ditch the laptop and buy a new one. Very environmentally friendly. NOT.

Last edited:

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Was in the same dilemm. Unfortunately budget was limited as well. Have had macs(mostly mbp) with 8 gb ram and that was simply too little. My heaviest use was photo editing and making movies, most of that software today requites 16gb ram. Can not run around with an external ssd. Too cumbersome and a pita.

my solution was a m2 air with 16gb and 1tb in midnite. It was an Apple refurb and I added AppleCare. I love this machine. No video swapping, 12-15 browsers open, no issues. This ran 1309 on the apple refurb store before applecare.

would highly recommend this option as I just checked and it is avaiable.
So if you become more disciplined and have only 3 browsers open then 8GB would be fine?

terryw1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2018
phoenix
I can’t function with just 3 browsers. On a slow day5-6. Then there are office apps, pruductivity apps and som light video work.8gig does not come close. I might have been okay at12, but 16 was the config, so I went with it. On even my heaviest workflow days…the 16 handles without a glitch. Even when manipulating large files.

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
I know this thread is a bit older, but I wanna chime in with one more comment. On my iMac (with 8GB of Ram) doing absolutely NOTHING.. just idling, the activity monitor says Im consuming 6 GB of ram.
Get the 16.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I know this thread is a bit older, but I wanna chime in with one more comment. On my iMac (with 8GB of Ram) doing absolutely NOTHING.. just idling, the activity monitor says Im consuming 6 GB of ram.
Get the 16.
OSX preloads things that you may use a lot in RAM in advance, so it's not actually using 6gb at idle. The correct way to check if you have enough ram is to look at Activity Monitor and check the Memory Pressure and Swap amount. I have 8gb of RAM on my 2018 MBA and I can use it all day without one single MB being swapped and the Memory Pressure never leaves the green., this indicates that for my usage I do not need more RAM. I only have around 5 Tabs open in Safari, a single Microsoft Remote Desktop session, Skype and a few small apps like Calendar and Calculator running so my usage is very light.

If you are doing any Photo or Video Editing then yes 16gb is a bare minimum.

Reactions: BB1970

judethat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
I just picked up the Starlight 13" 16 GB 512 SSD. Considering I came from a MacBook 12 inch from 2015, this seems huge, as the screen area is much bigger. Glad I went with that configuration as intend keeping it a long time and who knows what is coming that might need the extra RAM

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I'm waiting impatiently for my M3 MBA Midnight 16/512.
Had 16/256 on my late 2018 MBA, but that choice didn't feel good this time around.
But it has served me well on a few MBA's in a row.
I stepped up the storage now, as I plan to have this machine ~5-7 yrs.
You can't add more RAM later, but you van always use iCloud or other options for storage.

Reactions: judethat

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
It's my experience that folks run out of SSD before they run out of RAM. They kind of just use the computer even if it gets slow, but when they run out of space it's a constant struggle and no-one likes external storage.

That said, if you're asking about this now, then just get the extra RAM - without it you will always wonder and second guess your choice every time you see a beachball or experience a lag.

Reactions: rocketbuc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.