Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbn

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2015
I have a 2015 iMac 5K 27" and a 27" LED Cinema display, side by side now.This is being replaced by an M1 Max 16" soon, so I'm looking for a new monitor solution.

My plan is to use the 16" display of the MBP along with my desktop monitor, so no matter what I choose, I'll have the "dual monitor advantage" of having things like full screen video, previews etc on one screen while working on the other one.

I really appreciate low pixel density and having a lot of real estate.

Therefore, I absolutely LOVE the 5K resolution of my current iMac (217 ppi), but there's only two replacements that can live up to that, the ProDisplay XDR (which is WAY over my budget) and the LG 5K, which is pretty old and unflexible nowadays, and also pretty expensive and unavailable at the moment.

But I also admit that the bezel line in the center of my current monitor setup annoys me. I'm mostly using the left side of the right monitor and the right side of the left one, the edges are pretty far away from my eyes

So now, I'm either for 2x 27" 4K displays, one Ultra wide display or maybe a 43" 4K display.

However, I'm pretty sure the 43" will be impractical due to the amount of desk space it requires, and also it will be hard to use my MBP display next to it. And finally it will have a very low pixel density (102 ppi).

So now I'm left with something either 2x4K 27" or a 34" 5K2K ultrawide, both solutions with a relatively good density (163 ppi) and the same physical height - I already have some particular models in mind, listed below.

Please help me decide, especially if you've tried both configurations, let me know your experiences! Thanks in advance!

2 x 27” 4K LG 27UP850-W

Resolution similar to 49” 7680x2160
Total 1100 USD (in Denmark)

Pros
  • 50% More space
  • 2021 model
  • Standard interface (HDMI, USB-C, DP)

Cons
  • Bezel in the center
  • Hard to see/reach outer edges
  • More cables to connect and clutter my desk
  • More expensive monitor arm
  • Requires more desk space

1 x 34” 5K2K LG 34WK95U-W

Resolution 5120x2160
Total 1250 USD (In Denmark)

Pros
  • Requires less desk space
  • No center bezel
  • Only one cable for laptop
  • Cheaper monitor arm
  • Everything on the screen is within my field of view

Cons
  • 33% less space
  • 2018 model
  • “Exotic” Thunderbolt 3 interface, far from optimal with HDMI input.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I would get the 4K because the 5K externals have beed problematic in other threads! The cheaper 4K will also be better on your budget besides I personally wouldn't trust more than USB2 speeds on most monitors even today!

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Another option to consider is this: run in clamshell mode and get a high dpi ultra-wide.

You get side-by-side real-estate without 2 bezels in between.

One slightly annoying thing about using a MacBook with external displays is that they are invariably larger and you have "edges" that you can't mouse into unless you line up with the monitor.

Sure you can tweak it so that it visually lines up with your desktop but its still a bit annoying not being able to just swipe left or right quickly unless lined up.

This is sort of what I mean, I have a 27" 2560x1440, the MacBook and a 1920x1080 display next to each other of different sizes:

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 7.43.33 am.png

sbn

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2015
Another option to consider is this: run in clamshell mode and get a high dpi ultra-wide.

You get side-by-side real-estate without 2 bezels in between.
How is that suggestion different from what I already consider with the 34" 5k2k ultra wide, which by the way is the only ultra wide panel on the market with high pixel density...

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I got the LG 5k/2k and have been very happy. I switch between my iMac in the Office and the LG connected to my M1 MBP working at home.

I much prefer working with one large display vs. two or more smaller displays. It makes window management much simpler, and not having the dead areas around the screen edges makes the display much more natural to use. I break up my workflow into logical tasks, and have a virtual desktop dedicated to each. With how smooth desktop switching is on MacOS with a trackpad, it's trivial to switch back and forth as needed.

I also find that the one ultra wide display has much more usable space than a raw pixel comparison between a single ultra wide and two 4k monitors would suggest. That dead space near the screen edges often goes unused because it's not quite enough room on each to fit another window and you can't practically spread it across the two screens - so it either goes unused or I simply make the windows larger than is necessary.

Reactions: sbn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.