Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I can't, for the life of me, figure out which one would be a better choice for me. They both seem to be good on battery, or at least good enough. They both have a good screen. They're both fast. They both take good pictures.

Is there something I'm missing, or is this a "both choices are good" type of thing? Is there some huge flaw with one? Is one less likely to get updates than the other? Does one slow down more over time?

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I can't, for the life of me, figure out which one would be a better choice for me. They both seem to be good on battery, or at least good enough. They both have a good screen. They're both fast. They both take good pictures.

Is there something I'm missing, or is this a "both choices are good" type of thing? Is there some huge flaw with one? Is one less likely to get updates than the other? Does one slow down more over time?
I think it will come down to personal preference. Want metal build or glass? Close to stock android or touchwiz rich features? Do you prefer the amoled on the Samsung vs LCD on HTC?

For me, if it was the s7 edge vs HTC 10 I would go with edge. If its regular s7 vs htv 10 then HTC 10. I still fear that touchwiz might slow down the Samsung phones. Do you plan on keeping it for a year then upgrade?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I think it will come down to personal preference. Want metal build or glass? Close to stock android or touchwiz rich features? Do you prefer the amoled on the Samsung vs LCD on HTC?

For me, if it was the s7 edge vs HTC 10 I would go with edge. If its regular s7 vs htv 10 then HTC 10. I still fear that touchwiz might slow down the Samsung phones. Do you plan on keeping it for a year then upgrade?

I'm not sure on that last one, or even if I'd be sticking with Android for the long run. I'd be moving from an SE, if that makes any difference. If I moved over to Android for good, I would likely upgrade about every year. Obviously if I didn't stick with Android, I would just pick up my SE again and calling it a wash.

Also, I've never seen the LCD that HTC uses.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I'm not sure on that last one, or even if I'd be sticking with Android for the long run. I'd be moving from an SE, if that makes any difference. If I moved over to Android for good, I would likely upgrade about every year. Obviously if I didn't stick with Android, I would just pick up my SE again and calling it a wash.

Also, I've never seen the LCD that HTC uses.
Well if you're likely to upgrade every year, then I don't think you will see much if any slow downs with touchwiz. A plus with the HTC is they are sold unlocked. So I'm assuming that's what you would be getting. So no bloatware from carriers.

You have used Samsung phones before right? Do you like touchwiz? Have you used any android phones that was close to stock? How do you like stock vs touchwiz?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Well if you're likely to upgrade every year, then I don't think you will see much if any slow downs with touchwiz. A plus with the HTC is they are sold unlocked. So I'm assuming that's what you would be getting. So no bloatware from carriers.

You have used Samsung phones before right? Do you like touchwiz? Have you used any android phones that was close to stock? How do you like stock vs touchwiz?

I've used:
Galaxy Nexus
Nexus 6
Galaxy S6

Back when I used the S6, I got real tired of memory issues (I had apps be kicked out of memory while they were playing audio in the background). None of that says anything about TW from an aesthetic perspective, primarily because I don't mind either way. They're both pretty.

Is TW in the latest iteration likely to manically close apps while I'm in the middle of listening to podcasts?

Oh, and I'd be buying it from Sprint. I have some credit and was going to try to buy it with that.

maj71303

macrumors regular
May 13, 2014
Maryland
if I was you I would wait as these phones haven't really even made me upgrade at all. This current generation is mostly correcting issues from the previous year releases with a sprinkle of new features. I would wait for a 2016 nexus or the next batch that comes with android N.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I've used:
Galaxy Nexus
Nexus 6
Galaxy S6

Back when I used the S6, I got real tired of memory issues (I had apps be kicked out of memory while they were playing audio in the background). None of that says anything about TW from an aesthetic perspective, primarily because I don't mind either way. They're both pretty.

Is TW in the latest iteration likely to manically close apps while I'm in the middle of listening to podcasts?

Oh, and I'd be buying it from Sprint. I have some credit and was going to try to buy it with that.
Oh okay. As far as I've heard and seen, the closing of apps on the s7 is not as bad as s6. However s7 does not hold half as much apps in memory compared to HTC 10 or G5.

Since you are using some sprint credit, I guess the new nexus won't be an option for you wait on. Also you're considering updating every year or so. Therefore updates shouldn't be a big factor (apart from security updates).

Hard decision tbh. Have you held the HTC 10 physically.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Oh okay. As far as I've heard and seen, the closing of apps on the s7 is not as bad as s6. However s7 does not hold half as much apps in memory compared to HTC 10 or G5.

Since you are using some sprint credit, I guess the new nexus won't be an option for you wait on. Also you're considering updating every year or so. Therefore updates shouldn't be a big factor (apart from security updates).

Hard decision tbh. Have you held the HTC 10 physically.

Nope. I live in the middle of BFE, too, so it'd be a case of just picking one and hoping either way. That's why I'm asking.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I lean toward the s7 edge for the superior screen experience (quality, brightness, and the edge screen makes everything pop), superior camera experience (both quality and ease of use of the camera app). I also love the convenience of wireless charging and waterproofing. And I find TouchWiz aesthetically more pleasing and feature-rich. TW on top of marshmallow runs supremely well. Perfect combo of useful TW features married with stock Android's speed and stability.

I would consider the HTC 10 however if you prefer: Metal builds. The HTC 10 is gorgeous, edgy, industrial, and a solidly built device. Stark difference in hand versus the s7 edge. Better quality loud speakers and audio experience overall. If you prefer a more stock experience, which likely means faster software updates and less duplicate apps. The software seems like a leaner and cleaner experience without many bells and whistles. Usb-c is nice. Front camera is better too I believe.

They're both great options. Two of the best options in the Android space right now. They are like perfect counter options to each other. Just a matter of what you value more.

If I had to bet, judging from what little I know of you, my gut says HTC 10 for you.

Reactions: MRU and Blaze4G

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Nope. I live in the middle of BFE, too, so it'd be a case of just picking one and hoping either way. That's why I'm asking.
Oh okay. As klyster said,both phones are pretty much on par. You should be happy with either one. Close your eyes and pick.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
if I was you I would wait as these phones haven't really even made me upgrade at all. This current generation is mostly correcting issues from the previous year releases with a sprinkle of new features. I would wait for a 2016 nexus or the next batch that comes with android N.
This.
The Galaxy S7 is mighty tempting for its hardware but it will disappoint you in 9 months time when Android N will be out. By then, you would have subscribed to sammobile hoping for news of an update to the S7 appears in your feed. This waiting will take you into the year 2017 when Samsung will be releasing S8 and all their focus will be on S8; forcing you to wait for another couple of months before you finally get your Android N goodness on S7, only to realise that for some reason it is draining battery and you start your waiting cycle again....for .1 version to fix your battery draining issues.

If you can (I admit, I am finding it difficult :)), resist your temptation for the Galaxy or the HTC, wait for Google to release this year's Nexii, and then decide whether you would want to go Android or stay with Apple.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I lean toward the s7 edge for the superior screen experience (quality, brightness, and the edge screen makes everything pop), superior camera experience (both quality and ease of use of the camera app). I also love the convenience of wireless charging and waterproofing. And I find TouchWiz aesthetically more pleasing and feature-rich. TW on top of marshmallow runs supremely well. Perfect combo of useful TW features married with stock Android's speed and stability.

I would consider the HTC 10 however if you prefer: Metal builds. The HTC 10 is gorgeous, edgy, industrial, and a solidly built device. Stark difference in hand versus the s7 edge. Better quality loud speakers and audio experience overall. If you prefer a more stock experience, which likely means faster software updates and less duplicate apps. The software seems like a leaner and cleaner experience without many bells and whistles. Usb-c is nice. Front camera is better too I believe.

They're both great options. Two of the best options in the Android space right now. They are like perfect counter options to each other. Just a matter of what you value more.

If I had to bet, judging from what little I know of you, my gut says HTC 10 for you.

Bit the bullet and order the 10.

WrenFGun

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013

To me, the 10 is a real smart choice [but I'd have been tempted to just get a 6P at this juncture] -- I personally have a Z5 Compact and I know they're not for everyone but it's got minimal bloat and some excellently useful features [though a somewhat slow, though excellent, camera].

Basically, if you can avoid having three galleries, three email apps, 2 photo apps, etc. where you can ... that makes sense, and I think the 10 is most geared for that [provided you buy it unlocked].

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013

Great choice. No one mentioned one of the most important things about any smartphone - touch.
Samsung touch is really bad. And I mean really, really bad. Great phones, great hardware, excellent screen, wonderful camera, etc.

But the touch feels like I'm using cheap phone from china. Software ruins user experience as well, even tough new version of TW is the best one yet, it still lags behind sense.

HTC from the looks of it has a great touch. Haven't tried the phone yet, since it still isn't available in my country (at least not the black version that I desire), but purchasing one when it gets here.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Great choice. No one mentioned one of the most important things about any smartphone - touch.
Samsung touch is really bad. And I mean really, really bad. Great phones, great hardware, excellent screen, wonderful camera, etc.

But the touch feels like I'm using cheap phone from china. Software ruins user experience as well, even tough new version of TW is the best one yet, it still lags behind sense.

HTC from the looks of it has a great touch. Haven't tried the phone yet, since it still isn't available in my country (at least not the black version that I desire), but purchasing one when it gets here.

Just clarifying, "touch" as in the physical feel of the phone? The glass? If so, I disagree. I don't think any part of the s7 edge feels cheap or bad. Quite the opposite. Everything feels high end to me.

HTC 10 feels high end, too.

I may have a preference for glass phones, but nothing about the s7 edge feels cheap.

Reactions: jamezr and ozaz

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
S7

My preference is the S7 edge in either silver or black. The black doesn't all that bad to me when it comes to fingerprints.

I think HTC made a nice 2016 flagship which corrected what M9 and Snapdragon 810 had. Also it comes with Marshmallow which is much better than Lollipop. But I prefer other phones over it like the Mi 5 (2nd sexiest design of 2016 for me), Huawei P9, and whatever great phones out there right now. Or just wait for the HTC Nexus which will come with probably a more refined version than Lollipop and Marshmallow. I don't see HTC a major Android player anymore and they hardly fixed their broken image with the 10 alone.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The S7 Edge....
I have owned both phones. They are BOTH great phones and you cannot go wrong with either one.
My personal observations are:
Cameras are really close but the S7 edge is a little better imho.
Display goes to the S7 as well.
the both have SD cards
Wireless charging only on the S7
Waterproofing and dust protection again to the S7

Both have great build and feel in the hand...can't go wrong with either one to be honest.

Reactions: Schmidt84
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.