Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
ios is better for battery, far superior on privacy, and if you're anal about certain features like how apps sync (e.g you're on a really small data plan) you're better off on ios. but the variety of apps you can use from a purely "power/sophisticated" user's perspective, android's apps really blow away ios.

e.g. textra vs native messaging apps.
imessage vs pushbullet vs airdroid

people dont forget to set the dpi to 640 on the galaxy s7/e. really makes a big difference wrt using the screen size efficiently.

This is far from the truth. iOS is way more secure and has better privacy in their security than Android. There is a reason why they have been 2nd best to BlackBerry over the years and Android just recently got more secure on Samsung phones at least.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Neither is better, for you. You've spent the last few years big-upping Windows and Microsoft and making anti Google and Android posts at every opportunity.

Why would you now ask this?

Anti Google? Interesting. Pro Microsoft? Interesting.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
This is far from the truth. iOS is way more secure and has better privacy in their security than Android. There is a reason why they have been 2nd best to BlackBerry over the years and Android just recently got more secure on Samsung phones at least.

Source?

The nexus phone, and android phones kept up-to-date on the security patches are very, very secure.

Reactions: Michael Goff

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Source?

The nexus phone, and android phones kept up-to-date on the security patches are very, very secure.

People don't realize that majority of issues Android phones have come from outside the play store. The Nexus is very secure.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
They are NOT secure at all when people can root them and break into them. Source just GOOGLE IT. Android was not secure till Samsung and LG as of recently. It's a known fact Government agencies always uses BB phones and now iPhones. I work for a Bank and we won't use anything that isn't BB or iPhone. Just in the last 6 months we are discussing using Samsungs now. You need to inform yourself better.

Source?

Just one example. http://www.howtogeek.com/224096/why-iphones-are-more-secure-than-android-phones/
[doublepost=1465832542][/doublepost]
People don't realize that majority of issues Android phones have come from outside the play store. The Nexus is very secure.

Wrong. Please research before posting wrong information.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
They are NOT secure at all when people can root them and break into them. Source just GOOGLE IT. Android was not secure till Samsung and LG as of recently. It's a known fact Government agencies always uses BB phones and now iPhones. I work for a Bank and we won't use anything that isn't BB or iPhone. Just in the last 6 months we are discussing using Samsungs now. You need to inform yourself better.
Whoa buddy.....Calm yourself.

An iPhone can be jailbroken, and an android roooted; that doesn't make it insecure. You can set Nexus device to not even boot without the proper password. You can't just grab someones nexus, and root it. It can be secured on boot, as well as activation lock (like find my iPhone).

Obviously, you don't know what you are talking about, so maybe you should inform yourself? Also, no bank or government agency is going to use Nexus devices at this point; they are still considered niche.

I am rarely stunned by a response on this forum, but you managed.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Whoa buddy.....Calm yourself.

An iPhone can be jailbroken, and an android roooted; that doesn't make it insecure. You can set Nexus device to not even boot without the proper password. You can't just grab someones nexus, and root it. It can be secured on boot, as well as activation lock (like find my iPhone).

Obviously, you don't know what you are talking about, so maybe you should inform yourself? Also, no bank or government agency is going to use Nexus devices at this point; they are still considered niche.

I am rarely stunned by a response on this forum, but you managed.

Sorry, but the facts are plain out there that Android is not as good as IOS till recently. I just googled it myself and it came up with lots of info. You won't find a Nexus device recommended anywhere for security. Please prove otherwise if you think so.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Sorry, but the facts are plain out there that Android is not as good as IOS till recently. I just googled it myself and it came up with lots of info. You won't find a Nexus device recommended anywhere for security. Please prove otherwise if you think so.
Your welcome to prove your own point, as well, I don't see you posting any recent sources. I don't care about 6 months ago or anything. I care about right now. Nexus devices with the monthly Google security updates are very secure. They are arguably more secure than any other brand of Android phone if it is out of date on the monthly security updates. A outdated Android is not necessarily secure.

The current state of things is what matters, not "up until recently".

The Nexus is not mainstream enough to even be on the radar for company deployment outside of tech.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Your welcome to prove your own point, as well, I don't see you posting any recent sources. I don't care about 6 months ago or anything. I care about right now. Nexus devices with the monthly Google security updates are very secure. They are arguably more secure than any other brand of Android phone if it is out of date on the monthly security updates. A outdated Android is not necessarily secure.

The current state of things is what matters, not "up until recently".

The Nexus is not mainstream enough to even be on the radar for company deployment outside of tech.

If you are correcting me you need to back it up with facts and links that support your claim that nexus devices are more secure. Please do. Waiting....

kepler20b

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2014
It's not way more secure that's ridiculous.

Android is based off a tried and true software platform: linux. But what comes with linux? increased capabilities also come with increased responsibilities.

Your phone can be rooted without your knowledge. For the general user this is not a big deal, but if for instance you are handling sensitive information you probably want an android with an encrypted bootloader.

For iOS this isn't too much different either.

If you don't download apps outside of the playstore appstore, never allow the phone to be physically away from tou, and remove the cameras and speaker chips from the phone, the device is eminently secure.

So please, don't talk about things you have no idea about. Both phones are very secure.

The privacy issue is explicit on ios. On android there are several more settings you usually have to disable before achieving the same desired privacy.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Actually I have more knowledge than you on this. And I won't argue with someone who refuses to research. If you really think Linux is the reason to make Android more secure, you got a lot to learn. Android was one of the worse O/S for security and the reason why MANY businesses would not touch them.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Actually I have more knowledge than you on this. And I won't argue with someone who refuses to research. If you really think Linux is the reason to make Android more secure, you got a lot to learn. Android was one of the worse O/S for security and the reason why MANY businesses would not touch them.
Stating "I know more than you" only weakens your claim.

If this is the case, you must know what I do for a living, correct? What about the poster you quoted? So working for a bank makes you an expert on OS security?

Come on, do this the right way. Give me a few reputable sources that back up your current claim, that Android is unsecure (the updated version). If your not going to, then drop it. Your starting to look like your attempting to troll.

Also, you didn't read his post correctly. He meant that the Linux basis of Android, by its very open source nature, allows one to do more (like rooting), but requires one to take responsibility for an whole they open up.

Google's Android isn't pure AOSP, and as such is very secure at this point.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012

Dude from what you've been posting here today you don't have alot of knowledge at all.. Paraphrasing you, you not knowing that you can make OLED displays display natural colours, the fact you think every Android phone on the planet lags... please.

Reactions: BlueGoldAce

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Dude from what you've been posting here today you don't have alot of knowledge at all.. Paraphrasing you, you not knowing that you can make OLED displays display natural colours, the fact you think every Android phone on the planet lags... please.

I only speak facts. Reason why I make 6 figures running an IT department at a large bank. I wouldn't be where I am if I didn't speak the facts kid.
[doublepost=1465852422][/doublepost]
Stating "I know more than you" only weakens your claim.

If this is the case, you must know what I do for a living, correct? What about the poster you quoted? So working for a bank makes you an expert on OS security?

Come on, do this the right way. Give me a few reputable sources that back up your current claim, that Android is unsecure (the updated version). If your not going to, then drop it. Your starting to look like your attempting to troll.

Also, you didn't read his post correctly. He meant that the Linux basis of Android, by its very open source nature, allows one to do more (like rooting), but requires one to take responsibility for an whole they open up.

Google's Android isn't pure AOSP, and as such is very secure at this point.

Like I said, I just googled and came up with a ton. You can do the same.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
I only speak facts. Reason why I make 6 figures running an IT department at a large bank. I wouldn't be where I am if I didn't speak the facts kid.
[doublepost=1465852422][/doublepost]

Like I said, I just googled and came up with a ton. You can do the same.

You're not talking facts you're plan wrong, and you just admited you actually don't know what you're talking about and you're just googling... wow IT seems pretty easy to get into maybe i should try.

OLED can only display overblown colours = wrong
Every Android phone on the planet lags = wrong
Almost very iteration of iOS has been jailbroken, does not seem so secure to me...

Last edited:

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
I told you to google. Stop trying to twist this around.
Anybody can Google something, or claim to Google, and find an article that supports their point of view. That doesn't make them right, posting a few reputable sources does. It would literally take you 30 seconds to post a few links, therefore I think you're lying. I don't care where you work or how much money you make, at this point no one in this thread believe you.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Very obvious you are lazy and refuse to search it yourself. I don't have the time to dig for the articles. They are out there from reputable sources.

Wow this site has gone down hill since 10 years ago.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Very obvious you are lazy and refuse to search it yourself. I don't have the time to dig for the articles. They are out there from reputable sources.

Wow this site has gone down hill since 10 years ago.
Your post sums up my argument. You sure have time to keep replying....

For good measure (and 30 seconds of my time).

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-security-nexus-matters

https://itsecuritything.com/google-nexus-6p-security-teardown/

http://www.pcmag.com/commentary/342915/want-a-secure-android-phone-get-an-unlocked-phone

Last edited:

kepler20b

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2014

Is this a joke? I know people that work for the federal government and they are given both android and ios devices to handle government business.

all your arguments are hand waving, and you demonstrate 0 technical knowledge in your posts to indicate that you make 6 figs at a large institutional bank.

Android and iOS are very very secure for the common lay person. There are features within Android that make it easier to compromise if the user is not careful or aware of common attack vectors, but with those risks the phone has more capabilities than iOS.
[doublepost=1465860852][/doublepost]
none of that is proof

its all handwaving

you know nothing.

Reactions: BlueGoldAce

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
I am referring to the 2016 article, as that one is only reason enough to matter. The security flaws it sites in Android refer mostly to out-of-date software, and micro SD cards. Neither of these apply to Nexus device, so again I ask you comma what does this prove?

Again we can continue to argue it over, and anyone can find a Google article, but what about the actual technology behind it? Do you understand it, because if you did, you would realize a Nexus device is extremely secure

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Is this a joke? I know people that work for the federal government and they are given both android and ios devices to handle government business.

all your arguments are hand waving, and you demonstrate 0 technical knowledge in your posts to indicate that you make 6 figs at a large institutional bank.

Android and iOS are very very secure for the common lay person. There are features within Android that make it easier to compromise if the user is not careful or aware of common attack vectors, but with those risks the phone has more capabilities than iOS.
[doublepost=1465860852][/doublepost]
none of that is proof

its all handwaving

you know nothing.
Well.... He said it even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.