Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwskemer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
I intend to purchase the Moshi Palmguards to try to maintain the white color of my MacBook. Can anybody recommend any ways to clean off the palmrest stains that my two week old MacBook already has? I've heard contradicting reports on how the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works, glass plus wipes... I just don't want to place a palmguard down over the stains, I want them clean first...

rwskemer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
I also recommend the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It will have it looking brand new in seconds.

Would you recommend I still use the palmrest covers? I'd rather not use them, would cleaning it every few weeks be detrimental in your opinion?

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
The Moshi Palmguard is like a very thin sticker. Once installed you can't even tell it's there. I have the black on my Blackbook and am glad I have it on. The only thing I didn't like was the trackpad cover. It was a piece of clear plastic that made the trackpad feel slow and was uncomfortable. The button cover and Palmguard are excellent products.

Xtremekillr

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
Las Vegas
yeah ^^ mr. magic clean eraser is the bomb. I use it for the palm rest as well as the keys. It gets my macbook looking new again in seconds!! I don't recommend Palmguard.. get some of that Mr. Clean.

MacBooksRock

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2007
Magic Eraser works GREAT! I let a friend use my MacBook and he got sharpie on it (dont ask me how), and it cleaned right off! :D:D:D

si2000

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
I have used squares of screen protector, you can usually get it in larger pieces and cut it to fit. With a piece on the opposite magnet, it even closes gently:)

ZacUSNYR

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
I picked up a Marware protection kit at my local apple store, it's very nice :) Comes with a nice cleaning cloth/keyboard cover and the palmrest is one piece and offers a nice cushion, the screen sounds better when it closes too - doesn't have that snap shut sound :)

rwskemer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
How do these kits stick to the MacBook? There's no sticky residue, is there?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Bobioden said:
I also recommend the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It will have it looking brand new in seconds.

that used to work on my old iBook, but never did on my mb. I could not get the mb palmrests clean no matter what I did. Had to get apple to replace the plastic.

rwskemer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

that used to work on my old iBook, but never did on my mb. I could not get the mb palmrests clean no matter what I did. Had to get apple to replace the plastic.

So conflicting reports here. I wonder what's going on...

I think I'll try the Magic Eraser and them I'm inbetween the Marware or the Moshi palm cover...

rwskemer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Thumbs up for the Moshi, and excellent product, aside from the trackpad film.

In my view it is much better looking than the Marware.

I agree, just from pictures I've seen online, the Moshi looks a lot nicer. My question is how does it stay on? I would hate if it left any residue when you took it off when replacing it. I couldn't see myself using anything more than the palmrest cover...

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Tissues and tooth paste. I'm not kidding, it works very well. Just don't get any on the trackpad.

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Well, you take a tissue and put some generic white tooth paste on it (not too much), then you wipe the palmrests with it, take another moist tissue to wipe it again, dry the thing and enjoy your good-as-new palmrests.

Peteybiz02

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Just putting a plus one on here for Moshi. Got mine on Wednesday night and put it right on, I love it. I actually use the trackpad film too even though I know a lot of people on here don't use that. It works for me, I say go Moshi!

rwskemer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Well, you take a tissue and put some generic white tooth paste on it (not too much), then you wipe the palmrests with it, take another moist tissue to wipe it again, dry the thing and enjoy your good-as-new palmrests.

Moshi claims there is no residue of the gluey white toothpaste if you were to ever pull them off. I hope they're correct. I'm going to order a kit today... Thank you for all your suggestions everyone!

Sage Harupyuia

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
i dont rest my wrists/palms at the palmrest/palmguard area. So mine is always spanking clean. ;)

If i get tired, i just drap tissue paper over the area and continue typing on.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
You are going to like the Moshi Palmguard. It is a very nice, well make product. I have had mine on for 4 months now and it is showing no signs of wear whatsoever.

brandon.vong

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2007
I also recommend the Moshi palmguard though I notice it's not an exact cut. I got it for my MBP and I like the feel of it... excluding the trackpad cause it is not exactly see-through.

rwskemer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
I can't see myself using the trackpad piece, but what about the button cover, do you guys use that as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.