Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slyr114

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
In mavericks i was able to completely disable the notification center and remove its icon. After upgrading it would seem my disabling of the center is still in effect but the icon is still there. Ive tried the old commands I used but they renamed or moved the notification center process. How can i go about disabling this again? Also is spot light the same in terms of process names and locations? I had that icon disabled as well since i just use Alfred.

slyr114

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
Also i tried to enable notification canter and it still does not work when i click on the icon. So idk what is going on. I already tried a verify and repair of permissions.

slyr114

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
Ok so i have figured out, my notification center works but i can only open it via keyboard commands or hot corners... the notification center icon is literally broken for me and does nothing and i cannot get rid of it no matter how hard i try.

lineto

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2013
Having this problem too. Disabled notifications on Mavericks using the terminal commands, and now the notification center icon isn't doing anything. Keyboard shortcuts work fine, but the icon is dead.

If anyone knows where the new notification center processes are located, this would be of great help.

macfixx

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2010
Same problem, dead icon

You can also swipe the trackpad from the right side to make it appear.

macmacgoose

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Public Beta 5. I know I disabled Notification Center in Mavericks via a terminal command (I think probably with http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...ntly-disable-notification-center-in-mavericks). Installing Yosemite now, I am getting the same issue as mentioned here. Center reappears but does nothing when clicking it. Is there a solution to fixing this? Notification Center was one of the first things I did when I first got Mavericks and I'd like to remove it in Yosemite, too.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
I also have the same issue. I tried reversing the commands but it didn't work for me.

If someone can figure out a fix it would be very nice.

----------

Nevermind, it just took a reboot after running the following command.

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui KeepAlive -bool True

This puts things back to normal so that the notification center icon works again.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
I've stopped the process from starting with boot, but I haven't found a way to get rid of the icon. If I do, then I'll post it.

russell.v

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
Same thing happened with me: disabled it with Mavericks and now can't enable it on Yosemite. The icon is there but nothing happens, tried everything to get it work again but nothing...

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
France
*push*
I am neither able to remove the icon from the menubar, nor can I re-enable it with the terminal command posted by yippy. Even after two reboots, still no change. :(

xazu

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
To enable back the Notification Center in OS X Yosemite

Open Terminal from /Applications/Utility/ and write (line by line):
launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui.plist
killall NotificationCenter
launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui.plist
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui KeepAlive -bool true
killall NotificationCenter
sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/NotificationCenter.app/Contents/MacOS/NotificationCenter

Wait a minute and press CTRL+C
Open Disk Utility from /Applications/Utility/
Select your hard disk and click on the “repair disk permissions” button.
Wait until it’s completed.
Restart your mac.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
So is there no way to disable it entirely (including the menubar icon) anymore?

a2rael

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
Centralia, PA
Axe the icon

Grrrr. . . agree w everyone and would love the ability to get rid of the icon.

there aren't any good widgets as of right now and notifications slow my workflow.

However I did test yippy's line in terminal and it worked for me just fine. Came back on after restart. . . got rid of it again though.

xazu

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
I don't think is possible for now. Maybe is a bug or a missing behavior.

trystephen

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2010
I found one answer but I don't recommend it...

A gentleman posted this suggestion somewhere else:

cd `getconf DARWIN_USER_DIR`
rm -rf com.apple.notificationcenter
killall usernoted; killall NotificationCenter

Of course, it was pointed out that this deletes "the entire Notification Center database" and I'm not even sure that it removes the icon. Because I'm not going to try it! Perhaps a braver soul out there would give it a go but if I can't remove the icon then I don't care to cripple my computer more than it has to be.

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
A gentleman posted this suggestion somewhere else:

cd `getconf DARWIN_USER_DIR`
rm -rf com.apple.notificationcenter
killall usernoted; killall NotificationCenter

Of course, it was pointed out that this deletes "the entire Notification Center database" and I'm not even sure that it removes the icon. Because I'm not going to try it! Perhaps a braver soul out there would give it a go but if I can't remove the icon then I don't care to cripple my computer more than it has to be.

Has anyone tried this?

I don't have Yosemite installed currently :(

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i've got bartender running to hide the notification center icon...AND the spotlight icon (easy to bring up either one with a key command).

i've got EVERYTHING unchecked in NC preference pane, so nothing comes up.

i bring up the window (command-option N) to use the calculator, and/or check the weather, nothing else.

am happy... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.